Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 & Model Y Will Both Be Equipped To Tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the Model X has something called "Trailer Mode" which is either manual set or automatically detected by the car if it senses a load or electrical hookup. "Trailer Mode" disables AutoPilot (but not TACC) and includes some anti-sway software. It also forces the suspension to Standard as I recall.

Oh wow. I wonder how they'll address suspension on the Model Ɛ? Could just derate capacity I guess. Thanks!

Muricaland Trailer:
r01Cepa.png

Britland trailer:
dc20g1H.png

While that's not the largest towed here in the UK / on the Continent; most trailers certainly don't need some air-suspension or magical anti-sway software. We all cope just fine with a normal car towing a small to medium trailer.

Also I don't get all the people complaining about having the speedo on the centre tablet in the Model 3. Plenty of regular vehicles have the instrument cluster in the middle. This is a Nissan X-Trail. These things are two a penny where I live. I had one for a while. It takes all of 5 minutes to adjust to the speedo being over in the centre.
57WwohR.jpg

UK vs US trailer comparisons aren't really valid. There are quite a few people in the US that don't need large trailers, but the US is also 40 times the size of England (land mass) and 5 times population over the entire UK. Different needs for trailers, more people to complain about not fitting their needs, etc...

Also, in the US it's pretty rare to have the speedo in the middle of the car...

It doesn't really matter, the point is that there are different needs in different areas...

I think most reasonable people just want towing inline with other similarly sized vehicles (2000 - 3500 lbs). Sure, there are outliers that don't need any towing, and others that "need" 10k lbs of towing... And of course there are many people that want class leading towing, especially since Elon talks about how the truck will have monster towing capabilities.

So far Tesla is failing when it comes to towing with any Tesla vehicle. Only the X can officially tow, and if you get a used X and need to add towing capability, good luck...

What will the numbers be if you includes the entire EU/EEA area? He was only talking about UK, but what he says is more or less valid for all of Europe.

It doesn't really matter, ...
Yes, it does matter. If it was only UK (or Norway for that matter), your argument about a small (compared to US) marked is valid. But if we are talking about the hole Europe the differences in marked size is smaller compared to the US marked, and more important to listen to what that marked wants. And if China and Asia has the same needs as Europeans we may rather ignore the US marked then all of this markets (no, I do not know what this markets wants).

If the car is to small/light to tow a heavy trailer, then it can't tow any heavy trailers. Period. But it it may still be able to tow smaller/lighter trailers, and as have been shown here is that it is a big marked (at least here in Europe) for cars that can only tow small/light trailers. So it's not right to say "This car can only be able to tow very small/light trailers, so it not worth to make any hitch at all."

Reactions: GSP
I ordered a Model Y Performance in red yesterday and i'm patiently waiting for the towing numbers. We have jet skis and a 944 that I need to tow around. I really hope Tesla aims high for the towing capacity for Model Y, as I need it! A 4500-5000 lbs towing capacity would be good enough for me.

I ordered a Model Y Performance in red yesterday and i'm patiently waiting for the towing numbers. We have jet skis and a 944 that I need to tow around. I really hope Tesla aims high for the towing capacity for Model Y, as I need it! A 4500-5000 lbs towing capacity would be good enough for me.

I hope you get it, too. But honestly, I think it’s a long shot. Seems a stretch for the Y to have the same tow capacity as the X.

Towing isn't a big deal for me, I just want an 'approved' receiver hitch setup so I can put a bike rack on the back of the vehicle. I wouldn't mind the ability to tow a small trailer of yard waste, but it's not a deal-breaker. A bike rack just might be a deal-breaker.

Hopefully this materializes between now and delivery.

It’s great that towing is an option now on the Model 3 in Europe and that it’s coming in the USA, but for those of us who already own a Model 3 in the US, when will the car software show “Trailer Mode” as an option? And when will Tesla certify the Ecohitch? or allow their service centers to do an Ecohitch modification? The trailer aftermarket kit costs about $800. I’d gladly pay Tesla $1200 for a factory authorized service center install that included a console option for trailer mode, and how about a bike rack mode version of trailer mode that tells the car that you are not about to crash into the bike rack when backing up? These are software/policy fixes that cost very little but will drive more car sales and Tesla service center profits while making existing owners happier!!

Reactions: GSP and israndy
My opinions based on my experience installing an OEM hitch on my Model X.
1. Trailer Mode software update may be a paid upgrade, only if you have a factory hitch installed.
2. Ecohitch will never be certified.
3. Tesla will never install the ecohitch.

For the X, I bought a used Tesla hitch and installed it myself.
Tesla wouldn't install it, nor would they even recommend an installer.
Tesla charged $750 to enable the Trailer Mode software.

Caveat: I've heard that some people weren't charged the $750 fee for the software upgrade, but I was shown a printout that described the $750 software enable option. $1250 would have been a full install of the hitch and software upgrade but they were out of stock and had been out of stock for at least 6 months, so I just found a used tow bar...

It’s great that towing is an option now on the Model 3 in Europe and that it’s coming in the USA, but for those of us who already own a Model 3 in the US, when will the car software show “Trailer Mode” as an option? And when will Tesla certify the Ecohitch? or allow their service centers to do an Ecohitch modification? The trailer aftermarket kit costs about $800. I’d gladly pay Tesla $1200 for a factory authorized service center install that included a console option for trailer mode, and how about a bike rack mode version of trailer mode that tells the car that you are not about to crash into the bike rack when backing up? These are software/policy fixes that cost very little but will drive more car sales and Tesla service center profits while making existing owners happier!!

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and appleguru
My opinions based on my experience installing an OEM hitch on my Model X.
1. Trailer Mode software update may be a paid upgrade, only if you have a factory hitch installed.
2. Ecohitch will never be certified.
3. Tesla will never install the ecohitch.

For the X, I bought a used Tesla hitch and installed it myself.
Tesla wouldn't install it, nor would they even recommend an installer.
Tesla charged $750 to enable the Trailer Mode software.

Caveat: I've heard that some people weren't charged the $750 fee for the software upgrade, but I was shown a printout that described the $750 software enable option. $1250 would have been a full install of the hitch and software upgrade but they were out of stock and had been out of stock for at least 6 months, so I just found a used tow bar...

That's infuriating TBH... they charged you $750 for 5minutes of labor.

I could see them charging an hour at whatever their shop rates are.. but $750 is highway robbery :-/

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
That's infuriating TBH... they charged you $750 for 5minutes of labor.

I could see them charging an hour at whatever their shop rates are.. but $750 is highway robbery :-/

Absolutely, I told them I had seen others were getting it for free, but they then printed out and showed me the bulletin or whatever describing the cost in detail.
They also said it was a firmware update that would take several hours to install, so I got a loaner car. Got a text saying service was complete less than 30 minutes later...

Towing isn't a big deal for me, I just want an 'approved' receiver hitch setup so I can put a bike rack on the back of the vehicle. I wouldn't mind the ability to tow a small trailer of yard waste, but it's not a deal-breaker. A bike rack just might be a deal-breaker.

Hopefully this materializes between now and delivery.

This times 1343747363636374. I hate roof racks for bikes after having a hitch mount rack for a while now. Couldn’t go back to a roof rack. Bonus with an EV, no exhaust pipes that could damage carbon wheels on the bike hanging off the hitch rack!

Since the X towing capacity is 5,000 lbs I think it unlikely the Y will be close to or the same as the X.