Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 & Model Y Will Both Be Equipped To Tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Teslas go towing. Tesla’s chief designer Franz von Holzhausen says that the recently revealed Model Y will be equipped to tow and he adds that the Model 3 will eventually get a tow bar too, that’s according to Norwegian site Elbilen. Elbilen cites Tesla Owners Club Norway as the source of the new towing info, stating (via...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/18/tesla-model-3-model-y-tow-yes/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

If true, the real question has to be: why not sooner? Why not just share that during the event?
Why not Model S, back in 2012?
I've been asking this on the most knowledgeable forums and never got a straight answer.

For European demand (and thus pricing and thus profit) this would have a very real impact. Especially with V3 supercharging being rolled out.

And I keep saying it until someone tweets it to Elon making him fix it a decade too late the next week: a wagon/shooting break/estate version of both S and 3 on top of that towing capability would really boost demand like crazy. And again with V3 charging, a slight loss in range is not such an issue as the cost for even more cargo space on the Y.

On some markets, the abiility to tow is an important part of the purchasing decision.

Having this capability will certainly be what Tesla calls "a demand lever".

A small SUV that can tow, carry bikes or a basket on a rack, carry a roof top rack and have mild off road capabilities with AWD certainly checks off all the boxes.

"gonna need a bigger factory"

On some markets, the abiility to tow is an important part of the purchasing decision.

Having this capability will certainly be what Tesla calls "a demand lever".

A small SUV that can tow, carry bikes or a basket on a rack, carry a roof top rack and have mild off road capabilities with AWD certainly checks off all the boxes.

"gonna need a bigger factory"
Without towing there may simply be no need for a European Gigafactory.
Model 3: really tiny cargo space, very few sales
Model Y: no towing, will still sell decently
Model S: without towing and diminishing incentives, will lose interest
Model X: very costly, price drop at entry level will boost sales
Model 3+Y: just give it an instrument cluster or good HUD, even an optional one at 10x cost, and it is back on the radar for many straight shooting drivers.

A revamped Model S: estate version, towing, at least 2 screens, Model 3 rear motor to add range, 2170 cells to reduce cost and 350kW charging. This might well warrant an extra production line in Europe.

hud.jpg
Without towing there may simply be no need for a European Gigafactory.
Model 3: really tiny cargo space, very few sales
Model Y: no towing, will still sell decently
Model S: without towing and diminishing incentives, will lose interest
Model X: very costly, price drop at entry level will boost sales
Model 3+Y: just give it an instrument cluster or good HUD, even an optional one at 10x cost, and it is back on the radar for many straight shooting drivers.

A revamped Model S: estate version, towing, at least 2 screens, Model 3 rear motor to add range, 2170 cells to reduce cost and 350kW charging. This might well warrant an extra production line in Europe.
Did you see the HUD display leaked on the Tesla video? 23 second.... of the video.

Don't get hung up on HUD displays on a Tesla. Not sure what information that could be displayed there that could be that valuable.

Other on board systems can be used as alternatives.

If you gotta have it, there are aftermarket HUDs, but also think their value would be limited.

Reactions: IdaX
Don't get hung up on HUD displays on a Tesla. Not sure what information that could be displayed there that could be that valuable.

If you gotta have it, there are aftermarket HUDs, but also think their value would be limited.

Well... if they ever get to a point where they can track your head position... nav directions could be overlaid directly onto the road surfaces.

I have a HUD in my current vehicle. I will miss it - a LOT - when the lease ends.

Being able to see my speed without taking eyes off the road has done wonders for my compliance with speed limits. (Seriously!)

I also love being able to see upcoming directions. Or the current song playing. Or the compass. Or urgent vehicle alerts (ie proximity sensors warnings, etc)

Very handy; definitely one of those things that sounds silly until you use it ... and then it’s something you don’t want to go without.

I have the same feeling about my rearview mirror camera. The wide angle view at all times? Simply brilliant.

Reactions: fiatlux and Cloxxki

Proper design could make a lot available with limited intrusion. Imagine satnav, simple road situation icon and arrow, meters to turn-in. Some HUDs probably already have it.

Reactions: dmurphy
I think I'm waiting for the truck unless this thing can tow something. Too bad.

I literally spoke 4 days too soon. This changes the equation for us and would be a huge step up to replace the Murano. Final Truck price (and $TSLA) could be a differentiating factor of course. Although I don't know if I'd load up a Model Y with cement bags or project stuff. Maybe it already has a utility liner designed in. Who knows, right?

Imagine towing a sailboat... on Full Self Drive. Boat launch App... soon! That's a software feature example - Tesla's revenue stream advantage. This will be a heavy blow to an industry that's already on their heels. Going to continue this conversation over a the investment thread. It's that worthy for Tesla, the company.