TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Says Model 3 Will Be On Sale 2017 Alongside Chevy Bolt

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by igotzzoom, Jan 8, 2016.

1. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I really do hope so, I really do. March is really a month which I'am looking forward to. The unveil of the Model 3 and the new Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop goes on sale!

I however doubt all our questions will be answered in March. Also, delivering one Model 3 in 2017 technically means they 'made' it.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Would like to see the original Reuters report.

3. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

4. Ryan H

Ryan H Member

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That "story" is really nothing new. GM claims that the Bolt will be for sale this year. Tesla has maintained that the Model 3 will be for sale before the end of 2017.

7. vortexz

vortexz Member

#8 vortexz, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Tesla was the first car manufacturer to sell 100 % electric car affortable to the public, the Tesla Model S.
    Then they promised they will be the first to sell the cheap 100 % electric car, seems others got ahead of them already and they haven't delivered yet.
    Tesla Model 3 better be something very good, otherwise it will be doomed by the time it will be fully available to the public, in 2018
    Chevrolet is selling the electric car at 37.500 $ in 2016, not 2018.
    If Chevrolet did it, i'm sure more car brands will follow them

8. JST

JST Active Member

I don't think there's any realistic chance that the Model 3 will be in full, volume production anytime before 4Q 2017. How many Model Xs did they deliver in 2015? 250? I would bet that the Model 3 launch will follow a similar pattern (and that's if everything goes exactly as planned).

9. Ryan H

Ryan H Member

10. shelbri

shelbri Member

I certainly hope Tesla learned from the technical challenges of the Falcon winged doors and the 2nd row seating with the X. The M3 needs to be less complicated so it can be brough to market in mass far more easily and quickly.

11. Breezy

Breezy Member

In my most charitable view, there may be a few Founder's editions delivered by December 31, 2017. Meaningful mass market deliveries won't come until much later.

Much more likely is that Tesla will keep saying it's on schedule for delivery in 2017, right up until the final months of 2017.

12. Airx

Airx Member

Outfornow,
    That may be your thoughts and they might be wrong.
    I think a some of the R&D money from last year was spent on the Model 3 and Tesla is a lot farther ahead in M3 development.
    I suppose we will see soon enough.

Eric B.
    Future Model 3 owner, present 2010 Prius owner.

13. Breezy

Breezy Member

Of course I might be wrong. We're all just sharing our thoughts here.

14. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Yes, that is likely. But what will "similar pattern" mean? What production numbers are Tesla expecting from Model X? 50->100k/y? And what production numbers are they expecting from Model 3? 300-500k/y? So "similar pattern" gives me about 2k TM3 delivered in 2017. And I do expect something like that... :)

15. electracity

electracity Active Member

The average new car price in the U.S. is $30K, with most younger people now buying used cars. What's the average car price in Romania?

- - - Updated - - -

+1
    Where are the batteries for the mass market M3 coming from? GM can sell the Bolt at a loss for as long as necessary. Nissan can do the same with a better Leaf. Musk is saying that Tesla will sell the M3 in 2017 because he feels he has to make the statement.

16. bigbear

bigbear Member

I think I'll be supercharging my basic model 3 in summer 2018, maybe fall 2018.

17. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Tesla is playing their cards right. They will be later to market than the Bolt, but with the reveal in March 2016, they will show their car to be so superior to the Bolt that many would-be Bolt buyers will defer their order until the Model 3 comes to market.

18. coco81

coco81 Member

I think they are enough people to buy 300.000 Bolts and 500.000 Model 3 every year. The target is to sell EV's instead of ICE'd cars, I don't think this wil be a competition between GM and Tesla.

19. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Agreed. It's a shame that GMs language makes it feel that way. Goal is to move transportation away from ICE vehicles.