TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Says New Autopilot Hardware Coming Next Year

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by TMC Staff, Aug 1, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

Tesla said on its Q2 earnings call that it has built and tested a new custom chip designed specifically for Autopilot. The company says it will be the “world’s most advanced computer for autonomous driving.” Tesla owners will be able to swap Autopilot 2.0 hardware with the new computer next year. Chief Executive Elon Musk...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Funny x 1
  2. env_krish

env_krish Member

This is a hardware change. What will be the cost to swap the chip for AP 2.0 owners?

3. KirkNason

KirkNason Member

As the article indicated Elon did not release any new details.

4. Happy2th

Happy2th New Member

Is Tesla done improving AP1 cars? Or will they still try to make improvements to AP1 in the future?

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I expect that to be completely over, plus minus minor radar braking improvements. AP1 is a proprietary SoC that has a black-box vision processing system. There's limited things Tesla can do with it.

• Like x 1
  6. SureValla

SureValla Member

should be free right? Elon has said in the past this shouldnt be the case and if it was we would get free upgrades...

7. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

Free if you pay for FSD. There is no point in upgrading vehicles that do not need the processing power.

• Like x 1
  8. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Tesla clearly didn't think the AP1 software through and put a giant foot in their mouth. I honestly don't believe any AP1 cars will ever be fully autonomous due to the lack of sensors. Let's face it, if they didn't need more sensors they wouldn't of added more to the current models. JM2C

9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I'm not sure that's fair to say. AP1 was way ahead of its time and even to date there's essentially one or maybe two other systems that come close.

• Like x 1
  10. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

I sure hope that's the case. Because it would end up being really ugly if they released software that was only able to be used by the newer vehicles after selling these features for years.

11. chetmmd

chetmmd Member

I sure hope it would be free to people who paid for FSD. I didn't by the way; it sounded like vaporware then and it still does today, although don't get me wrong , I love my S
    I guess I remain skeptical about FSD. In theory, yeah, it could happen, but I am firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp

• Like x 3
  12. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

I have little hope for my AP2.5. With the last update of 2018.26.3bbd9fd. My car stopped seeing any cars around. SC tried to fix it twice and gave up.

13. env_krish

env_krish Member

Hmm..that is weird! Latest update on my AP 2.0 went well. I hope you get the fix via the upcoming AP update expected next month per Elon Musk.

14. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

I want to know when Autopilot v9 software update comes out, will @jimmy_d and others still be able to get access to the internal firmware and break down what they see such as the neural networks and other information?

15. Mo City

Mo City Member

Do we know the new custom chip is the ONLY hardware improvement coming to AP next year?

Rear radar anyone?

• Like x 1
  16. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

You don't know that. It might need the processing power for advanced autopilot features too. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if all autopilot 2.0/2.5 would get the new processor retroactively as it would make programming updates easier going forward

• Like x 1
  17. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

LOL. I think there was a very long thread about a rear radar on the model 3. Turned out to be a bluetooth antenna :D

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. SmoothGB

SmoothGB Member

I'm pretty sure it's free to all 2.0 and 2.5 cars.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That was clear the moment it was announced. At least to me, and I bought knowing that. I'm surprised others understood differently.

• Like x 3
  20. Mo City

Mo City Member

We already know AP2.5 vehicles are stuck. My question is about new vehicles built with AP3.0. I have a feeling the new chip won't be the only change.