Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says New Autopilot Hardware Coming Next Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla said on its Q2 earnings call that it has built and tested a new custom chip designed specifically for Autopilot. The company says it will be the “world’s most advanced computer for autonomous driving.”

Tesla owners will be able to swap Autopilot 2.0 hardware with the new computer next year.

Chief Executive Elon Musk offered a few specs, which are a massive improvement in performance over the previous hardware. For instance, the Nvidia GPUs powering 2.0 hardware are capable of processing 200 frames per second, while the new third generation hardware will process 2,000 frames per second.

Musk actually mentioned the project at the end of 2017 at the Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) conference. “I wanted to make it clear that Tesla is serious about AI, both on the software and hardware fronts. We are developing custom AI hardware chips,” he said at the time.

Tesla’s efforts were led by then Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Jim Keller, the former head architect for AMD and Apple. Keller has since left Tesla and the division is now led by Pete Bannon.

Bannon said Wednesday that Tesla has manufactured the chip and installed it in test vehicles. The new hardware suite will replace the existing computer in vehicles running Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 hardware and move the vehicles closer to fully autonomous.

The company intends to continue making software improvements to the current hardware. Bannon said a new version of Autopilot will be released in about a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Tesla clearly didn't think the AP1 software through and put a giant foot in their mouth. I honestly don't believe any AP1 cars will ever be fully autonomous due to the lack of sensors. Let's face it, if they didn't need more sensors they wouldn't of added more to the current models. JM2C

Tesla clearly didn't think the AP1 software through and put a giant foot in their mouth. I honestly don't believe any AP1 cars will ever be fully autonomous due to the lack of sensors. Let's face it, if they didn't need more sensors they wouldn't of added more to the current models. JM2C
I'm not sure that's fair to say. AP1 was way ahead of its time and even to date there's essentially one or maybe two other systems that come close.

Reactions: kbM3
Free if you pay for FSD. There is no point in upgrading vehicles that do not need the processing power.

You don't know that. It might need the processing power for advanced autopilot features too. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if all autopilot 2.0/2.5 would get the new processor retroactively as it would make programming updates easier going forward

Reactions: Sonic_78