Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says New Roadster is Fastest Production Car Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After unveiling the Tesla Semi, CEO Elon Musk surprised the crowd with a look at the fastest production car ever made – the second generation Roadster.

Musk said the base model of the sports car will hit 60 mph in 1.9 seconds, making it the first production vehicle to clock in at under two seconds. The car will go 0 to 100 mph in 4.2 seconds and can make a pass on the quarter mile in 8.9 seconds. Musk declined to offer the top speed for the car, but said it’s greater than 250 mph.

With a 200 kwh battery pack, the new Roadster has a 620-mile range per charge, Musk said. The all-wheel-drive vehicle has three motors, one in the front and two in the rear.

“The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars,” Musk said.

The new 2 by 2 four-seater Roadster is slated for production in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty much exactly what I expected—and feared—from the new generation Roadster. It's a "hypercar" with stratospheric performance and (presumably) priced to match. I'll never be able to afford one, and if I could I'd probably wreck it before I got home. I guess I'll have to try and keep my 2010 Roadster going until Mazda finally wake up and build an electric Miata.

Awesome!!
I wish Tesla had said they were showing the roadster (I had the 5 referrals required for an invite) on the semi truck invite as I would have gone to the States to see this!
I was not really that interested in seeing the trucks but this stunning roadster ...definitely!
Wow what a game changer, 200kW battery, 4 seater and looks stunning!
Anyone looking to buy a Tesla Model S / X please feel free to use my referral code Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty for FREE unlimited Supercharging!

The question is how fear it is to compare that number. With street legal tires you can't accelerate faster the 1 G wish means that 0-100 km/h goes on 2,83 seconds. Now 0-60 mph is little faster of course but Tesla is counting with 1 feet roll out wish nearly no other manufacturer is doing wish of course gives Tesla better numbers. Wonder how fast the real 0-100 km/h number is, Porsche 911 Turbo S is doing 0-100 km/h in 2,9 according to Porsche, will Model 3 be faster?

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
The question is how fear it is to compare that number. With street legal tires you can't accelerate faster the 1 G wish means that 0-100 km/h goes on 2,83 seconds. Now 0-60 mph is little faster of course but Tesla is counting with 1 feet roll out wish nearly no other manufacturer is doing wish of course gives Tesla better numbers. Wonder how fast the real 0-100 km/h number is, Porsche 911 Turbo S is doing 0-100 km/h in 2,9 according to Porsche, will Model 3 be faster?

P100DL accelerates at nearly 1.4G from 0-60, with street legal tires...

One question: how do they push it to do ground to make such acceleration possible ?
This is supposed to be beyond limits of frictional physics without some serious down-force, but I do not see Formula1 type wings to push it to the ground. Did they use some sticky tires to increase friction ?

One question: how do they push it to do ground to make such acceleration possible ?
This is supposed to be beyond limits of frictional physics without some serious down-force, but I do not see Formula1 type wings to push it to the ground. Did they use some sticky tires to increase friction ?
The pictures show some very wide tires, which would help with this some... Generally wide tires also use a very soft and very sticky rubber, and I'd bet that 1.8 seconds is still only attainable on a very specific road surface after the tires have been warmed up.

This is pretty much exactly what I expected—and feared—from the new generation Roadster. It's a "hypercar" with stratospheric performance and (presumably) priced to match. I'll never be able to afford one
So far as supercars though, this is dirt cheap. And when it in turn is superseded by Gen 3, mere mortals can buy it used at ~ the cost of a decked out Model S today.

Think about it -- Tesla has just spanked all the competitors, and in a couple of years you can buy it as 10% of the going rate for other cars. Now admittedly I am comparing new ICE Supercar to used Roadster 2.0, but that is the other bit of Tesla magic: You probably do not want to buy a used Lambo, etc, but if Tesla history is anything to go by the Roadster will still be cheap to maintain when bought second hand.

Pretty damned amazing

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
This is pretty much exactly what I expected—and feared—from the new generation Roadster. It's a "hypercar" with stratospheric performance and (presumably) priced to match. I'll never be able to afford one, and if I could I'd probably wreck it before I got home. I guess I'll have to try and keep my 2010 Roadster going until Mazda finally wake up and build an electric Miata.

All I thought about when I saw the Tesla Roadster 2 was my childhood dream car
speedracer_grx_original3.jpg

Fantasy Is Now Reality
  • May be the fastest production car
  • Who can drive a car this fast?
  • How did Tesla do it? What is the secret?
I suspect the VW group & Porsche will be one of the 1st buyers

Speed Racer - The Fastest Car On Earth

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
The Tesla Roadster will "give a hardcore smack-down to gasoline cars".....

Example of just one "supercar" competitor:
Code:
+--------------------+------------------------+---------------------+
| Metric             | 2018 Bugatti Chiron    | 2020 Tesla Roadster |
| MSRP               | $2,998,000             | $200,000            |
| 0-60 MPH           | 2.3 sec                | 1.9 sec             |
| 0-100 MPH          | 4.8 sec                | 4.2 sec             |
| 1/4 mile           | 9.4 sec @ 139 MPH      | 8.8 sec @ ??        |
| Mileage            | 8 MPG city, 15 MPG hwy | ?? W/mi             |
| Fuel capacity      | 26.4 gal               | 200 kWh             |
| Range, miles       | 396 miles              | 620 miles           |

Also, the Bugatti can consume it's entire 26.4 gal gas tank in under 7 minutes. It has an 8.0 liter W-16 1,500 HP engine.