Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says New Roadster is Fastest Production Car Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After unveiling the Tesla Semi, CEO Elon Musk surprised the crowd with a look at the fastest production car ever made – the second generation Roadster.

Musk said the base model of the sports car will hit 60 mph in 1.9 seconds, making it the first production vehicle to clock in at under two seconds. The car will go 0 to 100 mph in 4.2 seconds and can make a pass on the quarter mile in 8.9 seconds. Musk declined to offer the top speed for the car, but said it’s greater than 250 mph.

With a 200 kwh battery pack, the new Roadster has a 620-mile range per charge, Musk said. The all-wheel-drive vehicle has three motors, one in the front and two in the rear.

“The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars,” Musk said.

The new 2 by 2 four-seater Roadster is slated for production in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!!
I wish Tesla had said they were showing the roadster (I had the 5 referrals required for an invite) on the semi truck invite as I would have gone to the States to see this!
I was not really that interested in seeing the trucks but this stunning roadster ...definitely!
Wow what a game changer, 200kW battery, 4 seater and looks stunning!
Anyone looking to buy a Tesla Model S / X please feel free to use my referral code Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty for FREE unlimited Supercharging!

Where did you hear that you need five referrals to get an invite to the event? I'm curious because I was invited and I don't think I even have a referral code.

Where did you hear that you need five referrals to get an invite to the event? I'm curious because I was invited and I don't think I even have a referral code.
On my referral page it states (Here in the UK) that you need 5 x referrals / and must be delivered cars, please see pic attached:

IMG_7565.PNG

On my referral page it states (Here in the UK) that you need 5 x referrals / and must be delivered cars, please see pic attached:

View attachment 260977

I just logged into the Tesla website and I indeed have a referral code but never having used it I have no referrals, so...? Maybe they invited me just because I'm a Roadster owner and live locally in Los Angeles? One can only guess I suppose.

I wanted to bring my Nikon DSLR so I emailed to ask about the photography policy and they said no DSLRs. Of course, plenty of people had DSLRs at the event. I asked one guy if he got permission, he said that he had not and he just walked in with it. That was a little annoying.

I just logged into the Tesla website and I indeed have a referral code but never having used it I have no referrals, so...? Maybe they invited me just because I'm a Roadster owner and live locally in Los Angeles? One can only guess I suppose.

Did you have put a deposit on the new Tesla Roadster? ....Must almost be irresistible!!

I wanted to bring my Nikon DSLR so I emailed to ask about the photography policy and they said no DSLRs. Of course, plenty of people had DSLRs at the event. I asked one guy if he got permission, he said that he had not and he just walked in with it. That was a little annoying.

So far as supercars though, this is dirt cheap. And when it in turn is superseded by Gen 3, mere mortals can buy it used at ~ the cost of a decked out Model S today.

When I wrote that I hadn't seen the price tag yet. So, it's a bargain for what you get. . . But it's still a lot of money, and it's still much higher than the original Roadster. And waiting for used ones to come down in price on the market, that could be a long wait. I could be gray-haired by then. I'm afraid my days of zipping about in little two-seaters (or "2+2", haha!) may be over by that time.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. Tesla is Elon Musk's playground, and I think we've gotten to know his style pretty well by now. He wouldn't settle for anything less than a world-beating hypercar, an electric Veyron. That just leaves me wondering what car maker will give us an electric Corvette, or even an electric Miata.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Can't say I'm surprised, though. Tesla is Elon Musk's playground, and I think we've gotten to know his style pretty well by now. He wouldn't settle for anything less than a world-beating hypercar, an electric Veyron.
The wikipedia article on the $2 - $3M Veyron had this tidbit:

A set of tyres costs $25k, while installation is another $70k and can only be performed by one place in France.
I guess it would be worth it ... except the Bugatti gets smoked by the $200k Roadster.

There is just no two ways about it, the supercar world has been tossed on its head.

Last edited:
Here is another way to view the Tesla achievement:

An ICE with good everyman performance costs $30-$40k. Pay 75x more to get top of the line performance
A Tesla with good everyman performance costs $30-$40k. Pay 5x more to beat the snuff out of the top ICE car.

Did Elon just Osborne the supercar market? Why would you buy something that just got obsolete? How fast can Ferrari etc respond? Or will they bother? Selling the sound of a V12 vs no "tune ups" and expensive shop time may just be a niche market of a niche market.

Reactions: bhzmark
It's really hard to decide. the p100d is around 130k and offers 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds and has one more seat than the roadster, but the roadster does it slightly faster and has much better range, but idk about paying 70k more.

I don't understand the Tesla boast of fastest production car ever. I thought the Model S P100D already had that honor.
Elon is saying that when the new Roadster goes into production it will be the quickest production car ever made, and quicker than the current S P100D. He is gambling that in the next 3 years no other car company is going to build a quicker production car. And I am willing to bet that he is correct.

Reactions: mongo
Current Tesla model S p100d owners, for your next car, are you gonna buy the next generation model s p100d or p130d or the 2020 Tesla roadster?
The Model S that Tesla has generously loaned me is a keeper and is too complete of a car to be replaced by the roadster or anything else for that matter. The 2020 Roadster is definitely on my horizon after the reveal, and will be the logical progression from my GT-R.

ModelS_GTR.JPG