Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC confirmed Tyco road, Tyson's corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just coincidentally, I was talking to an employee at the Tyson's Mall location this weekend and she indicated that they didn't have all the approvals yet but didn't expect construction /remodeling would take that long. She did indicate that it wouldn't be open until 2015. Also indicated that it would be a showroom in addition to a service center and that they planned to keep the Tyson's Mall location as well because of the foot traffic.

Just coincidentally, I was talking to an employee at the Tyson's Mall location this weekend and she indicated that they didn't have all the approvals yet but didn't expect construction /remodeling would take that long. She did indicate that it wouldn't be open until 2015. Also indicated that it would be a showroom in addition to a service center and that they planned to keep the Tyson's Mall location as well because of the foot traffic.

It is only a showroom because they have to make it one according to the agreement with VA, if I am not mistaken. I doubt it will be any different from how they did the Tampa Service Center, which is also classified as a showroom as well. It really doesn't lure people in like that, so if you are actually trying to generate demand I don't see this as a good idea and that is why I think keeping the mall stores open is their best play when we move toward needing that demand driver.

You are only going to go to the Tyson's SC to look at a car if you are already interested in Tesla, you aren't just going to stumble upon it one day and pop in for a visit.

Just my 2 cents on why Tesla is doing what they are doing ;)

PS: There was no foot traffic at the Tampa SC/Store when I was there... I was the only one there, and that was because I wanted to get a charge for my car :)

It is only a showroom because they have to make it one according to the agreement with VA, if I am not mistaken. I doubt it will be any different from how they did the Tampa Service Center, which is also classified as a showroom as well. It really doesn't lure people in like that, so if you are actually trying to generate demand I don't see this as a good idea and that is why I think keeping the mall stores open is their best play when we move toward needing that demand driver.

You are only going to go to the Tyson's SC to look at a car if you are already interested in Tesla, you aren't just going to stumble upon it one day and pop in for a visit.

Just my 2 cents on why Tesla is doing what they are doing ;)

PS: There was no foot traffic at the Tampa SC/Store when I was there... I was the only one there, and that was because I wanted to get a charge for my car :)

All true, though the fact that it will be in the middle of Tyson's "dealership row," right next to the Audi dealer and across the street from Porsche and Mercedes, might help generate stop-in traffic.

Talked with the guys at Rockville and this service center is actually set to be about twice as big as the Rockville one as far as the amount of volume they can handle.

Keeping in mind that Rockville is the number one service center on the East coast and I think he was suggesting that Rockville is also the second largest in volume in the nation.

A lot of that comes down to their service area covering such a large amount of territory. They go west into West Virginia, all of MD and most all of Virginia.

Anyway that all was stated to say that Fairfax will be very welcome and relieve a lot of the pressure and backlog that Rockville is always facing.

The Tyson's location is only a few miles from my home and so I will begin using it once it opens. However, I will miss the folks at Rockville --- sure, its a few extra miles to get there, but they have always been super responsive and very helpful to me. I knew they had a very large coverage area, and it always amazed me how efficient they seem to be when I call to make an appointment. I've never had an emergency that needed urgent attention, but from what I read in other posts, the Rockville team has been very good in dealing with those.

The Tyson's location is only a few miles from my home and so I will begin using it once it opens. However, I will miss the folks at Rockville --- sure, its a few extra miles to get there, but they have always been super responsive and very helpful to me. I knew they had a very large coverage area, and it always amazed me how efficient they seem to be when I call to make an appointment. I've never had an emergency that needed urgent attention, but from what I read in other posts, the Rockville team has been very good in dealing with those.

I agree on all counts. My guess is someone from Rockville will be promoted to run the Fairfax location, so hopefully they will be able to maintain the same level of service. They are a bunch of great and hard working individuals.

I agree on all counts. My guess is someone from Rockville will be promoted to run the Fairfax location, so hopefully they will be able to maintain the same level of service. They are a bunch of great and hard working individuals.

+1. The Rockville staff is outstanding -- I couldn't imagine one any better. I guess the this new SC in Virginia will benefit we Marylanders, although with ranger service I've never had to wait to get anything done on my car.

Latest update: On November 5, 2014, the Fairfax County Planning Commission recommended approval of the Tesla Service Center application. In addition, the Board of Supervisors was set to consider the application on December 2, 2014. However, it now appears that the Board will take up the application on November 18, 2014. Presumably, this change in timing suggests a swift approval by the Board.

With the change in schedule, I can't help but wonder if construction will start this year. Fingers crossed.

I would love to see the faces of the owners of dealerships on "dealer's row" when the Tesla "T" goes on the building! How does it go:

Service Center in Va ........ outstanding!
Showroom attached ......... Awesome!!!!
Looks on the faces of the ICE dealers ......... PRICELESS!!!!!

I would love to see the faces of the owners of dealerships on "dealer's row" when the Tesla "T" goes on the building! How does it go:

Service Center in Va ........ outstanding!
Showroom attached ......... Awesome!!!!
Looks on the faces of the ICE dealers ......... PRICELESS!!!!!

Good one! I doubt the Audi dealership next door will panic, but the place selling McLarens might not like it.:wink:

I went back and watched the planning commission hearing where they recommended approval of the Tysons Service Center to the Board of Supervisors. In the hearing, the attorney for the project mentioned that under the terms of Tesla's agreement with the Attorney General, the facility must be opened in March 2015 -- presumably it could be earlier as well.

In addition, today, the Board of Supervisors should be acting on the applications.

I went back and watched the planning commission hearing where they recommended approval of the Tysons Service Center to the Board of Supervisors. In the hearing, the attorney for the project mentioned that under the terms of Tesla's agreement with the Attorney General, the facility must be opened in March 2015 -- presumably it could be earlier as well.

In addition, today, the Board of Supervisors should be acting on the applications.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to keep tabs on this! Really appreciate it.

I drove by this past weekend and noticed that they have temporary construction fencing up, which is new since the last time I was out there a few weeks ago. No other visible activity, but then again that makes sense if they are taking final action on the applications today.

According to the Fairfax County website, the Board of Supervisors approved the Tesla Service Center zoning plans yesterday. I haven't had a chance to check the video for any juicy tidbits, but I'll try to get to it soon.

In any event, Service Center . . . here we come!