Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC confirmed Tyco road, Tyson's corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Claire - Welcome to the family! Make sure Tesla puts a range charge on your new baby on delivery day so you can Reach the Beach for @TeslaRoadTrip 2015. Info and registration at TeslaRoadTrip.org

Great reception on Friday - nice to catch up with friends and make some new ones. As a MD resident, I'm a tad jealous of the spoils that VA seems to be enjoying.

Saturday, March 14, during a heavy downpour, I strolled into the new Tesla Motors store (Tyco Road) and was cheered-up by all the customers in the showroom and customers test driving the cars.

I'm so excited Tesla were able, and willing, to open a giant store in the belly of the beast (Route 7 VA auto alley) within spitting distance of NADA headquarters.

In the rain, I saw - at least - three or four cars in perpetual test drives --- 60, 85D, pair of P85Ds.

The place was buzzing with activity ---- way to go, Tesla!

Looking forward to my day in the sun someday --- being that one test driving the car.

I saw the same thing this Monday, lunchtime. Literally one test drive after the other. People in the showroom waiting to be helped. Granted, I'm sure there are a lot of people who just want to feel what the model S feels like, but they are still going to sell a bunch of these from this location.

I saw the same thing this Monday, lunchtime. Literally one test drive after the other. People in the showroom waiting to be helped. Granted, I'm sure there are a lot of people who just want to feel what the model S feels like, but they are still going to sell a bunch of these from this location.

If the statistic holds that something like 1 in 4 people who walk into the store buy a car (whatever the number was, it was way higher than normal cars), then Tesla just got a ton of new sales! :D

This has been a long time coming, Fairfax being the third highest in the nation for median income housing clocking in at a cool 107k, (being superseded by Howard County, MD and Loudon County, VA - Which is the county right next door to Fairfax) and a population of over 1M people that means around 500k potential Model S buyers easily exist in this county alone (maybe a slight exaggeration, but still, it is a lot of people). With most people living in Fairfax driving either within the county or right next door to Alexandria or DC, the Model S is always within the range of a prospective owner. And the superchargers cover any corridor most would want to drive to. I would not be surprised to see a boom in Model S owners in Fairfax and the surrounding areas (note that VA has 4 of the top 10 counties by income in the US, All four of which are easily within driving distance of that store) since you can now actually get a proper test drive in the state and fully talk price and such with the people at the store.

Welcome to the new CA of the East! :D (Hopefully ripping that title away from FL!)

Several new photos added. Click here to view the full gallery.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 10.47.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Tyco Road CPOs

There appeared to many (~20) CPOs for sale at the Tyco Road location when I drove by this afternoon; I think most were of the Model S 85 version; some were P85 and I did see at least one P85+.

They've got a great team there --- please visit if you haven't yet done so.

Cheers

2 yr / 25k Miles Service Report at Tyco Center

First of all the biggest news: THERE IS A SUPERCHARGER THERE! More on that later.

I had my 2 year / 25k service actually scheduled at Rockville for the 26th but a couple of days ago I got a call from Carlos saying that it has been transferred to the new Tyson's Corner Tyco Rd Center. On the appointed day, Ravinder brought over a nice P85 with winter tires to our house and took away our car (was hoping for a P85D). I had sent Carlos a list of things I wanted looked at (minor things like water ingress in the taillights).

I could see in the app that they started working on the car right away but it was not charging (and we were only about 1/3rd full). At Rockville usually they'd plug it in while they work so that it is fully charged by the time you pick it up. Anyways 5 p.m. comes and I get a call from Carlos that the car is ready and he offered to have it valeted. We had to be somewhere so I said I will swing by on Saturday morning. I checked the app and lo and behold -- the car was supercharging at 286 miles / hr! (we have a 60 kWh).

Next day I swing by and first thing I noticed as jimmy john mentioned above is a LOT of CPOs! Mohammed from the Tyson's Gallery store was there and he said they are certifying them and some of them were not yet Certified. I guess this program has quietly taken off and it will be interesting to see how it is reported (inventory and sales impact) in the Q1 ER.

Very nice service area (see pic below). There are desks where customers can sit and discuss which are enclosed by full walls of glass with the service bays fully visible. Carlos said this is the biggest service center in the North East. They have not started factory deliveries but looks like have been selling inventory cars. He confirmed the sole Supercharger located inside and said it is primarily for topping off sales cars as they come in with a very low charge but that owners can call and ask to use it if needed. Very cool.

Car was ready and done very nicely. Washed and detailed as well but one thing missing (which I will give them a pass on for now) was no Tesla logo vacuumed in the trunk carpet as Rockville used to do :)

Overall a great experience and so glad that NoVa has the SC up and running.

CBM0ZvLUYAACeaF.jpg

2 yr / 25k Miles Service Report at Tyco Center

First of all the biggest news: THERE IS A SUPERCHARGER THERE! More on that later.

I had my 2 year / 25k service actually scheduled at Rockville for the 26th but a couple of days ago I got a call from Carlos saying that it has been transferred to the new Tyson's Corner Tyco Rd Center. On the appointed day, Ravinder brought over a nice P85 with winter tires to our house and took away our car (was hoping for a P85D). I had sent Carlos a list of things I wanted looked at (minor things like water ingress in the taillights).

I could see in the app that they started working on the car right away but it was not charging (and we were only about 1/3rd full). At Rockville usually they'd plug it in while they work so that it is fully charged by the time you pick it up. Anyways 5 p.m. comes and I get a call from Carlos that the car is ready and he offered to have it valeted. We had to be somewhere so I said I will swing by on Saturday morning. I checked the app and lo and behold -- the car was supercharging at 286 miles / hr! (we have a 60 kWh).

Next day I swing by and first thing I noticed as jimmy john mentioned above is a LOT of CPOs! Mohammed from the Tyson's Gallery store was there and he said they are certifying them and some of them were not yet Certified. I guess this program has quietly taken off and it will be interesting to see how it is reported (inventory and sales impact) in the Q1 ER.

Very nice service area (see pic below). There are desks where customers can sit and discuss which are enclosed by full walls of glass with the service bays fully visible. Carlos said this is the biggest service center in the North East. They have not started factory deliveries but looks like have been selling inventory cars. He confirmed the sole Supercharger located inside and said it is primarily for topping off sales cars as they come in with a very low charge but that owners can call and ask to use it if needed. Very cool.

Car was ready and done very nicely. Washed and detailed as well but one thing missing (which I will give them a pass on for now) was no Tesla logo vacuumed in the trunk carpet as Rockville used to do :)

Overall a great experience and so glad that NoVa has the SC up and running.

View attachment 76270

swooooooon!!!

It'll be interesting to see what's going on with the charging. At both opening events, Tesla folks made it clear that would not be a supercharger there.

Regardless, the opening of the Tysons Service Center appears to have wrought one change at Rockville: no Sunday hours. Not exactly sure when Rockville discontinued its Sunday hours, but this is a real disappointment. Tysons doesn't have Sunday hours either. I understand that not much work was actually done on Sunday, but I was hoping they would be expanding their hours not cutting them back, especially since the service centers have been very busy. I hope this isn't the start of a downward trend in service offerings.

As a stockholder, I am glad they are taking Sunday off - until they can build enough bench strength to staff seven days without burning everyone out, I hope they can balance workload/personnel to some sustainable rate.

Oddly, I am spending the weekend in Yorktown VA and got the dreaded 12v don't drive msg. (I think this is the 3rd time they are replacing my 12v, last time was at annual service 2 months ago :-{ but Jonathan said they'd look into why this is so recurrent with me). They are towing my car to Rockville because they said Tyson's isn't up and running yet.

My 2 yr / 24k Miles Service is being done today at TSC.

Just dropped off my car this morning. I am told TSC started servicing cars on Friday. My car was scheduled for service at RSC but I got a call from Carlos last week saying they want to transfer. I am just 2-3 miles off Route 7. I am just loving the whole ownership experience. In last 40 years, I must have owned about 8 cars; this being my 2nd new car bought. All previous were less than 1 years from prior owner. The best decision I ever made.