Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC confirmed Tyco road, Tyson's corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the press on this announcement from Fairfax themselves makes me proud to be a Fairfax resident and voter. Glad to see we are still support green tech, unlike some of our western neighbors.

I find it interesting that the government press release mentions " Under the terms, Tesla has until March 2015 to open a sales location".

(
Fairfax Approves First Tesla Dealership in Virginia at Tysons Location- Fairfax County, Virginia)

Seems quick but encouraging to me, although walking through the MD SC you get the idea that they need much less of a shop build out that a traditional dealer. I guess not having to have oil disposal saves some time, as well as taking the minimalist approach. Having everything controlled by corporate should really streamline the construction process.

I do like that it will be visible from the service lane of Audi, a stones throw from Porsche...both will soon be competitors. I am sure there will be a modest amount of foot traffic as people wait for Audi service, or even the Toyota dealer that is just west of Audi.

I've got my resume up to date. :biggrin:

Good advice, thanks
I know from previous experiences that there are a few of the guys in Rockville who live on this side of the bridge. I'm sure some will be relocated but the volume of work up there is so high they might not be able to spare too many hands, and it seems likely they will want to get the staff on board and up to speed before they open.
I've had a Google alert set up for quite some time in anticipation, may just have to jump the gun...probably wouldn't hurt.

Went past Tyco Rd this morning on my way to the office, progress is being made. They were working on the inside and have also started to put up the gray facia.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419968990.611866.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419969005.261301.jpg

The material Tesla submitted to the county, and the county staff report, all characterize this as a "Vehicle Sales and Service Establishment." (See link from earlier post) The staff report recommends approval of exceptions that would allow sales, and certainly suggests that this will be both a sales and service location.

http://ldsnet.fairfaxcounty.gov/ldsnet/ldsdwf/4467780.PDF

Yes but there already is a sales store right down the road from here probably less than a mile. And it is a much higher profile being in a mall as opposed to an industrial park area.

The material Tesla submitted to the county, and the county staff report, all characterize this as a "Vehicle Sales and Service Establishment." (See link from earlier post) The staff report recommends approval of exceptions that would allow sales, and certainly suggests that this will be both a sales and service location.

http://ldsnet.fairfaxcounty.gov/ldsnet/ldsdwf/4467780.PDF

I assumed that meant selling parts & accessories as they do at other service centers, and not a Gallery, which as mentioned already exists 5 minutes away...

My understanding is that this will be a service center and showroom. They won't close the Tyson's mall location as its complimentary, small and will drive traffic for test drives that will occur from his location. The SC will provide much needed breathing room to the excellent team at Rockville that perform small miracles in servicing the amount of cars they have to from that small SC.

My understanding is that this will be a service center and showroom. They won't close the Tyson's mall location as its complimentary, small and will drive traffic for test drives that will occur from his location. The SC will provide much needed breathing room to the excellent team at Rockville that perform small miracles in servicing the amount of cars they have to from that small SC.

According to Mo at Tyson's, the Tesla gallery at Tyson's is the #1 foot traffic Tesla gallery in the nation! So although it might be small, more people see Teslas at that location (much more than any Tesla store collocated at a Service Center).

Part of the fight in VA over getting actual permission to sell cars was that the state wanted sales and service in the same location. So that is why it is to be both in this location. Since if you go to Tyson's you can't even talk price and last I heard they can't do test drives either... So a lot of this is to open the state up a bit.

Most people don't realize that we are basically in the same/similar situation that New Jersey, Texas, and AZ are in... We have stayed out of the national news on this mostly... But the truth is it is a PITA to buy a Tesla here in VA. I had to go to MD to get a test drive (note that MD is only slightly better than VA).

So yes, it will be a full blown sales and service so that they can properly handle new customer deliveries (including registering the cars for the customers without them having to pay sales tax at the DMV, which means you can add the tax into your loan!) And also being able to provide test drives and tell people about the price of the different options.

To my understanding, Tyson's won't be going anywhere and they might even be able to start offering test drives and talk price out of that location as well.

The mall foot traffic works really well for advertisement vice someone going out of their way to go to a "dealership" type location.