Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC loaner insurance cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you on this forum are aware that a loaner from Tesla is only covered for third party fire & theft along with a £1000 excess? It's in the small print but doesn't normally get mentioned when you pick up the car and drive away.

Is this standard practice for Tesla SC as i'm a relatively new owner?

Thanks!

That is not standard practise. The arrangement has historically been that Tesla's insurance covers the legal 3rd party Road Traffic Act responsibilities, and "self insure" their car. If you have a prang they take care of the Tesla and their insurance deals with the 3rd party.

It has been debated on many occasion on the FB Group and the above is the understanding, but it's true to say there seems to be variations in how the Service Centres operate. Whether the issue is further complicated by Enterprise supplying many non Tesla vehicles I don't know.

Most motor policies, mine included (LV) automatically extend comprehensive cover to any car I am loaned whilst my car is in for servicing.

I don't know whether you are on the closed FB Group, if so I'd post on there with a copy of the paperwork. I'm sure it would be taken up as clarity is definitely needed.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
That is not standard practise. The arrangement has historically been that Tesla's insurance covers the legal 3rd party Road Traffic Act responsibilities, and "self insure" their car. If you have a prang they take care of the Tesla and their insurance deals with the 3rd party.

It has been debated on many occasion on the FB Group and the above is the understanding, but it's true to say there seems to be variations in how the Service Centres operate. Whether the issue is further complicated by Enterprise supplying many non Tesla vehicles I don't know.

Most motor policies, mine included (LV) automatically extend comprehensive cover to any car I am loaned whilst my car is in for servicing.

I don't know whether you are on the closed FB Group, if so I'd post on there with a copy of the paperwork. I'm sure it would be taken up as clarity is definitely needed.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

well, I for one was completely unaware of this.

My dealings with Tesla MK have been an absolute joke to the point where I seriously doubt my next car will be a Tesla.

I live a busy life and car servicing is something that should be seamless.
All I seem to get from Tesla MK is lies and incompetence.

Now it seems I have been driving around in a crap BMW 420d (truly awful car) for best part of 2 months (half of which I find out my car just sat in Tesla MK car park unattended). At no point was I informed in a meaningful way that the insurance was 3rd party only, by which I mean that nobody is not going to read every bit of unreaably small print on the loaner form you sign and Tesla should absolutely make critical stuff like this clear in a series of concise checkboxes that you have to initial. This is bordering on being deliberately misleading.

wtf

hey - at least I might eventually get my £130,000 car back with the creases in the leather (which isnt leather but plastic) ventilated seats "steamed out", /disbelief

not a happy Tesla owner just now, not at all.

Who's head of Tesla UK?
think we might need to talk, I've about had enough

Reactions: Thegoodiestore
I've about had enough

Been there, done that ...

... not sure if I am still there, mentally, or not, but "probably". Car is fine at the Mo. (apart from never-fixed, but not exactly crucial, issues), and I love driving it (and have come to despise driving ICE, so couldn't go back to that ... and I definitely need either a 300+ mile battery or a widespread fast-charging solution as convenient as Supercharger - there we go ... short-list limited to one brand already!). My daily-driver is high mileage but the MS has been noticeably "low" the past 2 years, given the amount of time it sat parked at Tesla "parked"

Not sure I've ever had any paperwork relating to loaner, although it has become a bit less casual ("Here's the keys, off you go") over time, but from memory all I've had to do is provide the DVLA-thingie that confirms my drivers licence isn't Hookey. Pretty sure the last time they came to collect (and drop off loaner) they already had the DVLA thingie and the guy just handed me the keys. But I might have mis-remembered, not had the need of a loaner since XMas

Reactions: Thegoodiestore
Rock up in an S/X non-D, non-P and they've give you a P100DL to tempt you ...

I was offered the option of a taxi called "for my onward journey". No suggestion of loaner.

I hope everyone is giving 1-star rating on the follow-up survey they send out (in the past, it has been apparent that customer satisfaction survey results dictate policy).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
BMW 420d (truly awful car)

- on hire from Sixt at heaven knows what cost for 8 weeks.

Apparently they had such a backlog all the Tesla loaners were out.
Seriously - my daughters Focus is a better car though, no idea what BMW were thinking when they made this model.

For at half of that time apparently my car was just sat in the yard unattended, why on earth they didnt just re-book for 4 weeks ahead is beyond comprehension

I was offered the option of a taxi called "for my onward journey".

Not quite up to Japanese Service levels then ...

Many decades ago I had a Japanese camera telephoto lens. It had a MACRO setting - which modified the telephoto-zoom knob to give MACRO focus instead. Something went wrong with the gearing bits ...

... I took it to the local camera shop: "Yes Sir, I can get that repaired for you under warranty, but it will have to go back to Japan and that usually takes quite a while".

"As it happens I'm going to Japan on business nest week, I'll take it to them".

So I did. They were 30 minutes or so outside Tokyo, I took the train and found my way there.

They were mortified that I had been put to so much trouble, whilst repeated saying "This should never fail like this", and insisted on paying for a taxi back to my hotel in central Tokyo. They said they would bring the repaired lens back to the office on Tuesday (this was Friday afternoon, and it was a bank holiday weekend).

Tuesday midday I got a call that they were having some further problems and could they bring it to my hotel that evening instead.

At the appointed time the chap pitched up at my hotel, massively apologetic that they had not been able to repair it and would I accept a new lens instead. And for all the trouble it had caused me would I also accept a box-set of all the filters that they made for the lens.

Good job I didn't let the local camera shop just pop it in the post!