Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC says no Upgrade to High Amp Charger for early 2017 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on your local regulations and electrical inspector. Still not exactly zero cost! You've saved maybe tens of dollars on avoiding the panel vs using those polaris connectors. They are very expensive, especially in large gauge. Actually last time I priced it out, subpanel stocked at homedepot was cheaper.
No disagreement here, besides you don’t *need* a panel (even sub-panel) ;)
It could, and well-might, be more expensive: they might also need to buy an additional HWPC if the current one is older, though the original post on this was about leveraging the existing 100A install.

It’s all trade offs for sure, eg going from 1x 100 breaker to 2x50s, pulling another wire, aesthetics, etc.

Oh, and it’s implied everything is gated by code/inspection, etc - yup.

No disagreement here, besides you don’t *need* a panel (even sub-panel) ;)
It could, and well-might, be more expensive: they might also need to buy an additional HWPC if the current one is older, though the original post on this was about leveraging the existing 100A install.

It’s all trade offs for sure, eg going from 1x 100 breaker to 2x50s, pulling another wire, aesthetics, etc.

Oh, and it’s implied everything is gated by code/inspection, etc - yup.

My point was that you likely saved $0 on future HPWC installs based on a current 100A HPWC circuit. Of course individual situations vary.

They damn well did. Stop this revisionist bullshit. THIS is why people are confused. Half the posts on this board are basically reverse FUD - about all the owner reports of issues with Tesla.
Totally agree. Elon said 2 years ago that battery upgrades will be available, but that it doesn't make sense to do it every year because they expect to only improve capacity by 3%-5% or so each year. But he did say that the batteries would be upgradeable. Nobody at Tesla has said boo since.

My point was that you likely saved $0 on future HPWC installs based on a current 100A HPWC circuit. Of course individual situations vary.
Indeed. Case in point, we pre-ran the #2 AWG wire to a potential second HPWC location during our garage build, which would have been about 2x the distance of the master, which was already pretty far, from our panel.

Had we run a second line at a later date back to our panel, it would have been roughly ~$500 more in wire and labor over the cost of prewiring for daisy chaining, which would've necessitated a very tricky run around water and gas after the walls were closed or inconvenient/ugly conduit. So... *we* saved about $500, which is more than $0.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MikeBur
I purchased a 2017 new inventory MS100D in August 2017. This April-built vehicle came with the 48A internal charger, but I was told I could upgrade to the High-Amp 72A charger after delivery. Subsequently, I installed a full 100A circuit to a new HPWC in my garage at significant expense. However, today when I contacted the SC to schedule the charger upgrade for my car, I am now told the charger upgrade is not available for my particular vehicle. Does anyone know if this is potentially bad information ? I have heard that there is often bad info or misinformation between Sales, SC’s and the factory. What happened that the upgrade is no longer available ? Was it ever available ?

I was in the same boat but actually have a MX75D, I actually called my local dealer last night and they told me it was based on VIN and they checked into it and my car was able to get the upgrade no problem however it would have cost $3500(Canadian) which was really just not worth it for me seeing as I would also need to redo my wall charger wiring (only ran 40amps in new home construction stupidly). So they may be correct and that your particular car wouldn't be able to take the upgrade however I'm pretty sure all cars made before like August 2017 can because it was an upgradable option at that point.

I wrote customer service and they responded with the following cut and paste. They are referring to Model X. This does not explain why I can’t upgrade my charger:

“Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. I apologize for all of the confusion you have had with the charger upgrade.
After a lengthy research, I have discovered that your vehicle cannot be upgraded to a 72A charger. I will copy and paste what information I have found below:

"Since vehicles in markets with three-phase electrical power naturally need all 3 phase boards to be physically present, we only offer onboard chargers with 3 phase boards in these regions. However, charge rate can be limited by firmware just like in single-phase markets (see explanation below).

What this means:
There are now (as of June 2017) 3 main groups of Model X chargers in the field:
  • chargers with 3 phase boards charging at up to 72A/16.5kW??? (Charger Type: "TeslaSingle")
  • chargers with ?3? phase boards but firmware limited to charging at up to 48A/11kW (Charger Type: "SingleLimited")
  • chargers with 2 phase boards charging at up to 48A? (only available in single-phase markets, Charger Type: "SingleLimited")?"
Your vehicle with the VIN 5YJSA1E29HF191XXX only has 2 phase boards and the charger type is SingleLimited. I am not entirely sure why they told you that this was an option for upgrade and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustrations this has caused you. If you have any other questions, feel free to reply to this email or contact us on the phone number listed below.

Thank you for being a loyal Tesla customer. “

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 2/8/2018 5:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tesla Account support email

During purchase of my new inventory 2017 S100D, VIN 5YJSA1E29HF191XXX, I was left with the info that I could upgrade the 48A charger to 72A for $1,900 after delivery. However, when I contacted the Decatur, GA Service Center recently, to schedule the upgrade, I was told that it can’t be done. I was surprised and disappointed by this and I am writing to ask you to run this by your engineers at Tesla HQ to verify whether or not I can get the High Amp Charger upgrade for my vehicle. If the upgrade is not available, what is the technical explanation and is there any other adjustment possible ? Please note that I incurred additional costs installing a HPWC and a long run of 2AWG wire, and I added a 100A branch circuit in my home for the explicit purpose of supporting the charger upgrade on my vehicle. Thank You, Cowbell

I wrote customer service and they responded with the following cut and paste. They are referring to Model X. This does not explain why I can’t upgrade my charger:

“Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. I apologize for all of the confusion you have had with the charger upgrade.
After a lengthy research, I have discovered that your vehicle cannot be upgraded to a 72A charger. I will copy and paste what information I have found below:

"Since vehicles in markets with three-phase electrical power naturally need all 3 phase boards to be physically present, we only offer onboard chargers with 3 phase boards in these regions. However, charge rate can be limited by firmware just like in single-phase markets (see explanation below).

What this means:
There are now (as of June 2017) 3 main groups of Model X chargers in the field:
  • chargers with 3 phase boards charging at up to 72A/16.5kW??? (Charger Type: "TeslaSingle")
  • chargers with ?3? phase boards but firmware limited to charging at up to 48A/11kW (Charger Type: "SingleLimited")
  • chargers with 2 phase boards charging at up to 48A? (only available in single-phase markets, Charger Type: "SingleLimited")?"
Your vehicle with the VIN 5YJSA1E29HF191XXX only has 2 phase boards and the charger type is SingleLimited. I am not entirely sure why they told you that this was an option for upgrade and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustrations this has caused you. If you have any other questions, feel free to reply to this email or contact us on the phone number listed below.

Thank you for being a loyal Tesla customer. “

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 2/8/2018 5:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tesla Account support email

During purchase of my new inventory 2017 S100D, VIN 5YJSA1E29HF191XXX, I was left with the info that I could upgrade the 48A charger to 72A for $1,900 after delivery. However, when I contacted the Decatur, GA Service Center recently, to schedule the upgrade, I was told that it can’t be done. I was surprised and disappointed by this and I am writing to ask you to run this by your engineers at Tesla HQ to verify whether or not I can get the High Amp Charger upgrade for my vehicle. If the upgrade is not available, what is the technical explanation and is there any other adjustment possible ? Please note that I incurred additional costs installing a HPWC and a long run of 2AWG wire, and I added a 100A branch circuit in my home for the explicit purpose of supporting the charger upgrade on my vehicle. Thank You, Cowbell

It's not that they can't upgrade your car, they just can't do it in software-only, so they told you to go pound sand.

Try small claims court...

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have not been able to identify a technical reason that blocks replacement and upgrade of the onboard charger other than Tesla doesn’t want to do it. It seems arbitrary to me since I have seen where others have indeed been able to get Tesla to replace and update onboard chargers in the Model S. Does anyone know why they now refuse to do this ?

That's really frustrating. I was about to post this link that shows the "Model S Dual Charger" available right on the shop.tesla.com site, but then I saw the note at the bottom: Not compatible with the new front fascia Model S.

Your car must be in a weird in-between spot / edge case, because we've got an S100D in the 205xxx VIN range that we ordered new/custom in June with the high amperage charger that came standard (but before all of the "extras" were included standard in the 75Ds.)

When we were placing our order, the 90Ds were rumored to soon-be-discontinued (and were) and we were interested in maximum range, so we sprang for the 100D. One of the small distinctions between the 90D and 100D at that time (mid/end June) was that the 90D listed an optional charger upgrade while the 100D listed it as standard. The exact line on our order form says: High Amperage Charger: Included

Sucks you're now getting the runaround, but any chance there is anything listed on your original Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement that alludes to an upgradable onboard charger? Is there even a line item for the charger?

I have not been able to identify a technical reason that blocks replacement and upgrade of the onboard charger other than Tesla doesn’t want to do it. It seems arbitrary to me since I have seen where others have indeed been able to get Tesla to replace and update onboard chargers in the Model S. Does anyone know why they now refuse to do this ?

Did you ask specifically about charger replacement? Their answer is focused on software upgradable chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just heard back from Tesla's customer support team on this.

At least according to the information they provided, our S 100D can be upgraded from 48A to 72A charging for $1,900 plus taxes. This may be a question that doesn't come up very often, because the initial response was that the upgrade would also require an additional labor charge, which was later confirmed to be included in the $1,900.

It does appear that cars manufactured after a date in April may not be eligible for the upgrade - though by that time, the 100D's were probably already coming with the 72A charger as standard.

It's interesting that Tesla has removed the charger description from the website - configuring a new Model S has no mention of the specific charger...

Even if we can upgrade our charger from 48A to 72A, so far, we haven't needed to charge faster - yet, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to spend another $2,000 (including taxes)...

Reactions: brkaus
Just heard back from Tesla's customer support team on this.

At least according to the information they provided, our S 100D can be upgraded from 48A to 72A charging for $1,900 plus taxes. This may be a question that doesn't come up very often, because the initial response was that the upgrade would also require an additional labor charge, which was later confirmed to be included in the $1,900.

It does appear that cars manufactured after a date in April may not be eligible for the upgrade - though by that time, the 100D's were probably already coming with the 72A charger as standard.

It's interesting that Tesla has removed the charger description from the website - configuring a new Model S has no mention of the specific charger...

Even if we can upgrade our charger from 48A to 72A, so far, we haven't needed to charge faster - yet, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to spend another $2,000 (including taxes)...

You are getting a different answer than me. I can only speculate but maybe my hi voltage junction box,or cooling system, is not rated to support 72 A charging. It would be very helpful to charge an empty battery pack in 6 hours vs 9. At least to have the option.

Just as a datapoint - I have a February ‘17 build S90D delivered in March ‘17 (ordered right before the 100D announcement). It was delivered w/ 48A on-board.

This past fall I had my garage re-wired w/ a 100A circuit to the HPWC. The local service center charged me $1900 for the upgrade to 72A, and they DID have to do “under the hood” work - it wasn’t just a software push. Was a pretty straightforward half-day service appointment.

Ordered 2-15-17 and it was listed as an option that COULD be added after delivery I ordered it up front but do distinctly remember being told and reading it could be added later. I have no idea why Tesl continues to make things like this so difficult for us owners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7269D5A1-A120-4EEC-B9DF-ABE40EEE1307.png

I sent an e-mail to ServiceHelpNA at tesla.com. They confirmed to me that our car could be upgraded to 72A for $1900. This confirmation was provided both in e-mail and via phone call.

Since there probably aren't very many people asking for this upgrade, it's possible the local service center may not be knowledgeable about this.

Sydney was the customer support person who helped me get this answer.

Just as a datapoint - I have a February ‘17 build S90D delivered in March ‘17 (ordered right before the 100D announcement). It was delivered w/ 48A on-board.

This past fall I had my garage re-wired w/ a 100A circuit to the HPWC. The local service center charged me $1900 for the upgrade to 72A, and they DID have to do “under the hood” work - it wasn’t just a software push. Was a pretty straightforward half-day service appointment.

Congratulations on being able to get the upgrade. I assume your vehicle is a “refresh” with the newer fascia ?

Ordered 2-15-17 and it was listed as an option that COULD be added after delivery I ordered it up front but do distinctly remember being told and reading it could be added later. I have no idea why Tesl continues to make things like this so difficult for us owners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 279642

Thanks. That is similar to the experience I had when deciding to purchase. Unfortunately, my Monroney sticker mentions nothing about charging capacity.