Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC versus Aftermarket Wheels and Tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a low pressure notification for one tire from my MYP this morning, so I stopped by the local Tesla SC in Irvine, CA on my way to work. Tesla quoted me $121 to patch the tire but told me minutes later they won't do any work due to liability concerns since I have aftermarket wheels and tires on my car... The Michelin tires I've got on is actually the same tire they put on MYLRs, but I guess my aftermarket wheels broke the camel's back...

Took the car soon after to my usual American Tire Depot. They're working on it now, and quoted $0 because it is repairable...

Fun way to start Monday.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Got a low pressure notification for one tire from my MYP this morning, so I stopped by the local Tesla SC in Irvine, CA on my way to work. Tesla quoted me $121 to patch the tire but told me minutes later they won't do any work due to liability concerns since I have aftermarket wheels and tires on my car... The Michelin tires I've got on is actually the same tire they put on MYLRs, but I guess my aftermarket wheels broke the camel's back...

Took the car soon after to my usual American Tire Depot. They're working on it now, and quoted $0 because it is repairable...

Fun way to start Monday.
Sound ridiculous to me! Not the price, but the excuse. What's the difference between original and aftermarket wheels and tires if you are charging for a service? Soo fun!

Reactions: PeteOC
Sound ridiculous to me! Not the price, but the excuse. What's the difference between original and aftermarket wheels and tires if you are charging for a service? Soo fun!
Sounded like they are afraid what I will do if they messed up my aftermarket wheels and tires after the repair. The question is, why aren't they worried about what I'd do if they messed up my factory wheels and tires?! Don't they carry the same liabilities? Why would messing up my factory wheels and tires be "okay"?

I've had Infiniti, Mercedes, Lexus, Chrysler, Dodge, Toyota and Acura cars, as well as tire repair needs with all of them. Never encountered this from any of those dealers and my aftermarket wheels and tires...

Sounded like they are afraid what I will do if they messed up my aftermarket wheels and tires after the repair. The question is, why aren't they worried about what I'd do if they messed up my factory wheels and tires?! Don't they carry the same liabilities? Why would messing up my factory wheels and tires be "okay"?
From this point of view the reason may be that if they mess up with Tesla accessories, they can replace them internally without disbursement.
If they mess with aftermarket accessories, they probably cannot keep track of the market prices and therefore they can be forced to pay more then what they should.

Reactions: PeteOC