Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scaling back service loaners for Model S owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a recent service visit the employee checking my vehicle in made a new claim I hadn't heard before: they no longer give loaners to Model S owners whose cars will only be in service for a few days except in extreme circumstances. They're happy to provide transport to/from the Service Center, but your commute on the days you're without a car are on you.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried searching but can find no mention of it. I've had my S since 2013 and the loaner program has never been what was promised, but in the past they'd at least get you a rental car for multi-day service if they didn't have loaners. Bummer.

Maybe they are taking advantage of Jon McNeill's departure and have started making their own rules. If true, this totally sucks. They will have taken away the biggest factor in making service visits tolerable. Considering Tesla's other dick move yesterday—pushing back the lowest margin Model 3 deliveries to end of year and beyond while higher margin models will be shipping—I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is focusing on selling off loaner inventory.

Maybe they are taking advantage of Jon McNeill's departure and have started making their own rules. If true, this totally sucks. They will have taken away the biggest factor in making service visits tolerable. Considering Tesla's other dick move yesterday—pushing back the lowest margin Model 3 deliveries to end of year and beyond while higher margin models will be shipping—I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is focusing on selling off loaner inventory.

Jon leaving Tesla?

What was promised in the past?
Early on Elon stated that owners would receive a top-of-the-line Model S loaner when taking theirs in for service. The idea was that you could buy and keep that loaner vehicle if you liked it better than your own. It was not, to my knowledge, an official policy and no one was very surprised when it didn't work out. Then loaners got scarce, but they'd still give rental cars. Now even that could be on the way out, it seems.

Tesla Santa Barbara Picked up my 2013 Made a few repairs and replaced my passenger side air bag. They provided a new model X loaner two weeks ago! Nice car!!
That's great! I'd like to drive an X at some point. Maybe one day.

Maybe they are taking advantage of Jon McNeill's departure and have started making their own rules. If true, this totally sucks. They will have taken away the biggest factor in making service visits tolerable.
I don't know about everyone else, but my opinion of service has been on a steady decline since 2015 or so. My car is in often enough that being without a vehicle during those periods will be annoying.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
At a recent service visit the employee checking my vehicle in made a new claim I hadn't heard before: they no longer give loaners to Model S owners whose cars will only be in service for a few days except in extreme circumstances. They're happy to provide transport to/from the Service Center, but your commute on the days you're without a car are on you.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried searching but can find no mention of it. I've had my S since 2013 and the loaner program has never been what was promised, but in the past they'd at least get you a rental car for multi-day service if they didn't have loaners. Bummer.
I haven't heard anything like that and, if true, that would be a super dick move... I live 60 miles from the nearest service center and my S spent about a month and a half total at the service center just in 2017.

Yep, was in the EOQ Earnings call. Went to Lyft as COO. Sigh......
Tesla President of sales and service leaves, Elon Musk takes over his responsibilities

For this thread, Elon always said 'everybody' (at least S and X owners, lol) was supposed to get a P100D. So, WTF now, I have noooo idea.

I'd sell alot more Teslas if they gave us P100Ds on loan. The first time they gave me a 100D with the updated motor I let everyone I knew drive it. which in turn translates into them ordering their own. My car still impresses them, but nothing like the newer performance models.

I haven't heard anything like that and, if true, that would be a super dick move... I live 60 miles from the nearest service center and my S spent about a month and a half total at the service center just in 2017.
You'd probably still be OK. It sounded like they had loaners, they just didn't want me to have one. A 60 mile drive would give you a very strong argument for securing one of those, I'd think.

They can claim whatever they want at the local level and if it were me I'd escalate this new policy immediately... Was this Dublin by chance?

Given Tesla service has a really consistent habit of taking your car in then sitting on it for day(s) before they touch it, I'm not leaving without a loaner. Period. If this is the direction of Tesla service then that would be unfortunate...

Can anyone else confirm this policy?

Jeff

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
I'd sell alot more Teslas if they gave us P100Ds on loan. The first time they gave me a 100D with the updated motor I let everyone I knew drive it. which in turn translates into them ordering their own. My car still impresses them, but nothing like the newer performance models.
Just so you know, the paperwork you sign says that you are the only driver. I once needed to let my wife use my car and it was in the shop. I checked the paperwork and it was very clear I'm the only one who should drive it.

• Funny
Reactions: EVSteve and croman