TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla scaling back service loaners for Model S owners?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Gizmotoy, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

At a recent service visit the employee checking my vehicle in made a new claim I hadn't heard before: they no longer give loaners to Model S owners whose cars will only be in service for a few days except in extreme circumstances. They're happy to provide transport to/from the Service Center, but your commute on the days you're without a car are on you.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried searching but can find no mention of it. I've had my S since 2013 and the loaner program has never been what was promised, but in the past they'd at least get you a rental car for multi-day service if they didn't have loaners. Bummer.

• Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. LCR1

LCR1 Member

What was promised in the past?

3. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

I expected this to be the case for Model 3 owners, but not S. You being in the bay area certainly does not help.

• Like x 2
  4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Maybe they are taking advantage of Jon McNeill's departure and have started making their own rules. If true, this totally sucks. They will have taken away the biggest factor in making service visits tolerable. Considering Tesla's other dick move yesterday—pushing back the lowest margin Model 3 deliveries to end of year and beyond while higher margin models will be shipping—I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is focusing on selling off loaner inventory.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  5. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

Jon leaving Tesla?

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Tesla Santa Barbara Picked up my 2013 Made a few repairs and replaced my passenger side air bag. They provided a new model X loaner two weeks ago! Nice car!!

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

• Funny x 2
  8. MasterT

MasterT Member

• Informative x 1
  9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Early on Elon stated that owners would receive a top-of-the-line Model S loaner when taking theirs in for service. The idea was that you could buy and keep that loaner vehicle if you liked it better than your own. It was not, to my knowledge, an official policy and no one was very surprised when it didn't work out. Then loaners got scarce, but they'd still give rental cars. Now even that could be on the way out, it seems.

That's great! I'd like to drive an X at some point. Maybe one day.

I don't know about everyone else, but my opinion of service has been on a steady decline since 2015 or so. My car is in often enough that being without a vehicle during those periods will be annoying.

• Love x 1
  10. Petra

Petra Member

I haven't heard anything like that and, if true, that would be a super dick move... I live 60 miles from the nearest service center and my S spent about a month and a half total at the service center just in 2017.

11. LCR1

LCR1 Member

I'd sell alot more Teslas if they gave us P100Ds on loan. The first time they gave me a 100D with the updated motor I let everyone I knew drive it. which in turn translates into them ordering their own. My car still impresses them, but nothing like the newer performance models.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

You'd probably still be OK. It sounded like they had loaners, they just didn't want me to have one. A 60 mile drive would give you a very strong argument for securing one of those, I'd think.

13. RandyR

RandyR Member

The Dublin SC gave me a Benz via Enterprise for the day, while our Model S was in for its second annual service. The service adviser even apologized for not having a Tesla to offer...

• Like x 2
  14. Need

Need Member

I think there is something wrong with your SC if they don't at least give you an ICE loaner. You should try a different SC.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. AmpedRealtor

Does this mean when you have a service issue that cannot be solved by service manager or regional, it will be escalated to Elon Musk himself? lol

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  16. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

They can claim whatever they want at the local level and if it were me I'd escalate this new policy immediately... Was this Dublin by chance?

Given Tesla service has a really consistent habit of taking your car in then sitting on it for day(s) before they touch it, I'm not leaving without a loaner. Period. If this is the direction of Tesla service then that would be unfortunate...

Can anyone else confirm this policy?

Jeff

• Like x 1
  17. AmpedRealtor

Someone should ask the new head of Sales & Service lol

• Funny x 6
  18. unbelievable

unbelievable Member

What, so we can't use the @JonMc tag that solves every problem anymore?

• Funny x 2
  19. Petra

Petra Member

No... but we can yell into the void that is Twitter in the hope that our lord and savior, the mighty Elon, will hear our cries and rescue us from the mediocrity of his underlings. :rolleyes: (seriously can't eye roll hard enough)

• Funny x 4
  20. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Just so you know, the paperwork you sign says that you are the only driver. I once needed to let my wife use my car and it was in the shop. I checked the paperwork and it was very clear I'm the only one who should drive it.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1