TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla scaling back service loaners for Model S owners?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Gizmotoy, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Need

Need Member

What paperwork? :p When I took my MX to service, I signed 0 paper. They took my key, told me to wait for a minute in the lobby. A guy showed up and said "I will take you to your loaner." Walked me to a MS parked there, point to it and gave me the key. All he asked was if I left my UMC at home or with the MX.. I said at home.. then he said " you are good to go.. feel free to supercharge it anytime if you want."

Seriously it felt pretty strange. It's like a friend let me borrow his car. When I get a loaner from Lexus.. I have to sign a bunch of paper.. they made copy of my DL and Insurance. Promised not drive it out of state or over 100 miles a day.

• Like x 3
  2. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

We had an issue that we escalated to Elon a year ago (figured out his direct email) and within minutes a senior VP called and immediately resolved. Was amazing! I have a friend working on battery module assembly automation at the Gigafactory, and he said Elon is VERY hands-on there, personally on the assembly line and encouraging the engineers to perfect the automation steps, which are clearly a bottleneck in the manufacturing process!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. LCR1

LCR1 Member

I signed something say that if there were any damage my insurance would be covering it, not theirs. So they can shove it trying to tell me who can drive a car they aren't liable for.

• Love x 2
  4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I have seen no evidence of this at my local service center

5. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

I would call and escalate this immediately.

6. croman

croman Active Member

Definitely not the case at my SC (Highland Park). My Service Advisor told me that they only give Tesla loaners and will not schedule my car unless a loaner is available but that if I arrive as they open they will give me the best one available. I live 1.5 miles from my SC yet I've always gotten a loaner for anything but a 12V battery change (unscheduled done right away but still took 45 minutes due to poor Tesla design).

I've gotten one P85DL and otherwise had 100Ds (including a new one for my one year service that was noticeably faster than my uncorked 75D). Other 100Ds just feel sightly more powerful beyond 60mph or at lower SoC but that new 100D was even more powerful (but not like the P85DL which was shocking).

Tesla would lose my as a customer if they stopped offering EV loaners (I don't care if its a Tesla but that is my preference). I will not accept an ICE under any circumstances.

7. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

They have been cutting corners as of late. The last time I got a loaner the tech forgot the paper work and just took a picture of my license haha. I think we're just a loaner being totaled away from that pendulum swinging back to tight ship.

• Funny x 1
  8. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I'm all about disregarding stupid rules (and sometimes even unjust laws ;-) )... I just thought I would let you know because it is there in the paperwork if they actually bother to get you to sign the full set of papers... I even called them at one point to ask if this was really that big of a deal because her insurance should cover her and they confirmed it was only me that had permission to drive it... in the end these cars are so astronomically expensive to fix for the slightest damage we decided to not take the risk... By all means though, don't take my word for it. Call them and ask yourself.

9. Atlantan

Atlantan Car Obsessed

For two recent services on my 2013 S...they gave me a brand new X. Last time a P100D, I have one today ...100D.

Cheers

10. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

Our 3 is currently having a few items handled. Buena Park was complete chaos the morning of my scheduled appointment and admitted they wouldn't be able to even look at the car until probably Friday (for a Tuesday appointment) but said Costa Mesa had availability an hour later so we transferred my appointment there. I didn't even bother asking Buena Park if they had a service loaner available, as it sounded like they would drive you to Enterprise to get a car from them or send you via Uber to a destination. When I got to Costa Mesa, they only offered me an Enterprise rental but they had the vehicle on site so I signed the paperwork after giving my license and credit card then went on my way. Considering they are keeping the car for longer than originally anticipated, I'm mixed about it. Driving this car makes me miss the Tesla vehicle experience but at least I have a car.

Our 2 year service appointment for the S was supposed to be this Friday at Buena Park but I decided to abandon them entirely considering how completely overwhelmed they've been made for the size of their facility. We'll see if Costa Mesa gives me a Tesla or an Enterprise rental for that day when i take it in later this month.

Staying on topic, I remember reading the conversations back then about how they would only give you a car equal or better than your current car. Of the 4-6 times I've taken either car to a service enter for work, I've only been give a Tesla vehicle once. I'd really like to stay with a Tesla but it's painfully obvious that the service center network, along with their inventory of loaner vehicles, is not sufficient or consistent (especially in California).

11. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I am a big Tesla fan, but I think I can one up you all on loaners...or one down in this case.

Two weeks ago I got the dreaded 12V Battery Needs Service on my 2016 S75D. This was Saturday so I stopped into the service center, which is only about 5 miles from my house; I talked to someone about scheduling an appointment to get this and a few other issues fixed. I asked about a loaner and it was pretty much ignored. I pressed since at the moment i live alone and this is my only usable car (72 Vette not viable in winter) and I was told that, yes, they could make arrangements with Enterprise. WTF...an ICE? So I said I didn't want to drive an ICE. I commute into NYC very early, so he suggested: the train station is only about 15 minutes walk..why not just drop it off at 6:00 am and walk to train station (not my normal station) and then walk back at night and use your phone to unlock the car. Just WOW! I figured reciting Elon's early loaner promise wouldn't do much good, so I agreed, since I can use the exercise.

So the day of the appointment comes. I drop the car, walk to the station and arrive a bit late to work. Then at 2:00 i get a text saying they are working on my car but it will not be ready that day.. I am not happy. Call back and talk to the very same person I made the appointment with IN PERSON, and now he remembers nothing about it. Seemingly has no sympathy that I am without transport. Also questions why I wanted to walk from station to pick it up so late. After I barked a bit, he said, let me talk to dispatch and see if they can expedite it. Translation, they hadn't started working on it yet.

In the end the car was finished and I picked it up. Not very encouraging given number of model 3 owners anticipated.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  12. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

#32 AnxietyRanger, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Actually, just a ~year ago we were all promised P100D (or top of the line as the case may become) loaners. Judging by reports, very few if any have actually seen such?

P100D loaners to all Model S/X in service?
    Personally I'd be happy with no loaners at all. I just wish they'd not make empty promises so much.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. arcus

arcus Member

Still holds true for my recent visit at the SC. I had P85D as a loaner while my S75 stayed overnight. YMMV.

14. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

I would no longer call a P85D a top-of the-line Model S.

And back in the Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program blog post they also stated:

Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Indeed, though it would be a welcome alternative to the self-funded Lyft I'm waiting for right now. And the one back to work in the morning. And the one to Tesla in the evening, assuming it's even finished.

16. markb1

markb1 Active Member

But I’d rather have that than the Grand Cherokee I got from the San Deigo service center last week! Tesla should be embarrassed to have their customers driver ICEs!

17. DJung

DJung Member

I had 2 cars serviced last week and today, and I received a loaner both times. My X was actually only in for one day and they still gave me a loaner car.

This was at the Costa Mesa Service Center.

• Funny x 1
  18. bhakan

bhakan Member

I had take my S recently as my 3 month old car was pulling to one side and getting closer to the white lane mark on the highway on AP. I noticed that from the beginning. So, I made appt, took the car midday, and told them I need a loaner to get back to work. She gave me a NIssan Altima and said that was the only one they had. I had no choice. I was happy to pickup my S in 3 -4 hrs. Found out they delivered my S where both front and rear right wheels were not aligned to begin with.

19. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

#39 Evoforce, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    When I was out of my home State, their policy was to give me an ICE. I had to drive that for over a month while waiting on a battery pack loaner. Tesla covered the expense completely and I was happy that they did.

At my local SC in Tempe, they have made it a point to schedule me when they do have a Tesla loaner available. I even had the choice of an X or an S. I have been extremely happy with how I have been treated at Tesla Service Centers. Communication could be a little better but they have done a stellar job at working on my vehicle and providing great service!

I have no idea why the OP had a different experience.

20. quack724

quack724 Member

I had my strut motor replaced on our rear power liftgate. I dropped off at Dublin SC at 1pm which is their "peak time" supposedly and I received a 75 loaner. Pretty stripped down car with no AP but I was grateful to get the loaner. 1 day turn around for repair and I returned the 75 the next day.