Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scaling back service loaners for Model S owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attended one of those Tesla social events last year, it was after that announcement of P100D loaners for everyone, but I personally hadn't yet received such a loaner for a service appointment. I asked the local Service Manager who was in attendance about it and his reply was exactly as suggested above i.e. any new/top end loaners they have keep getting purchased

If Tesla really wanted to maintain a P100D loaner fleet as promised, then they'd simply not sell those cars to anyone from the fleet until they can be replaced by new ones.

Has anyone even seen the promised loaded P100D loaners?

If Tesla really wanted to maintain a P100D loaner fleet as promised, then they'd simply not sell those cars to anyone from the fleet until they can be replaced by new ones.

Has anyone even seen the promised loaded P100D loaners?

Last fall my Portland oregon SVC was out of loaners for over a week and ordered some from the factory. I got A brand new, Saran Wrap still on it, 11 miles on it, Model X P100D. It was so new that the Autopilot hadn’t even calibrated yet. I haven’t seen it again. The loaner fleet rolls over frequently. I should know....my car is in the shop right now, for problems, for the 9th time in 15 months.

This thread... started on a negative, but I see that the title of the thread is not corroborated by others responding in this thread. I have a feeling that maybe the OP could have asked when they would have a loaner available on a different day. I know that they happily rescheduled me to make sure that they would have a loaner for me to drive.
The title of the thread was a question, not a statement, as I was trying to figure out if anyone else was having similar experience, hoping that the rep was wrong. This appointment actually had a note attached already that I needed a loaner. They said they could reschedule and retain the note, but that there was no guarantee the outcome would be different, so I just went ahead with it anyway. They won't guarantee a loaner no matter how far out you book or what your visit notes request, at least at this SC.

That's not exactly the same as what OP said though. I think he said there will be no loaner at all (enterprise or otherwise). I think that sounded pretty crazy for a premium car service center. Although the Enterprise thing seems to also happening here in So Cal. Last time when I took it to Buena Park SC, I got a loaner MS but I overheard another customer there being driven to Enterprise to get her loaner. But I also read that someone else here got a Tesla loaner from Enterprise. So enterprise may start to stock Tesla for loaner purpose?
I posted back in November about getting a Tesla from Enterprise, so it might be my post you're remembering. This same SC had started offloading their loaner fleet to Enterprise, or at least assisted in Enterprise securing a number of their CPOs that they would then provide as loaners (I forget the exact language they used). I filled out Enterprise paperwork for my Tesla loaner last time I was in.

I asked if other owners had started hearing the same from their SCs. Seems like mostly no, which is good news. Could just be the Palo Alto center, or it could be I got a cranky rep. On the plus side they did a great job with my car and finished on time, so that at least was welcome news.

[...]Then loaners got scarce, but they'd still give rental cars. Now even that could be on the way out, it seems.[...]
I would be fine with this, if they decrease the cost of the service accordingly, since as of it right now it feels like a very overpriced inspection.
I've always been given a Tesla loaner, but it's usually the same beat to hell red P85 that is literally falling apart. Seats are worn to the bone, front facia looks like it hit something, paint is trashed, and it stinks like dog.
This has been my experience. I have always been lucky enough to have a service loaner, but they were always 2013 Model Year vehicles.

I dropped in at the Tempe SC yesterday to address and repair the drivers door handle not working and replacing a cooling fan that was having a dry bearing sound when shutting down. The experience was exceptional as it also has been in the past.

I showed up unannounced in the afternoon to point out those problems. I was very respectfully and cheerfully greeted and was told that they could get right on the repairs and could have it done before closing time or they could send out a ranger.

They also offered me a Tesla loaner (apparently one happened to be available) as an additional option but I declined and elected to stay once knowing my car would be ready before close. I waited in the lobby and had great conversation with the half dozen or so people who were also waiting.

The exchange of information and pleasantries with the other Tesla owners was great! It made time go very quickly and I really enjoyed the whole experience.

Even though I was inconvenienced by having to bring my car in for repairs, (somewhat self inflicted because I didn't know that they could have sent a ranger), The net of the experience was again, laughably enjoyable!

P.S. I got a car wash too!

Careful with the free car wash. At some service centers they just wipe down the car with a cloth and detail spray :-(. I decline the car wash now.

Yes, I understand. I have read where it was sketchy for others. Although, it ends up to be a little better than that here, but in that regard, it could have been slightly better job. But hey, free! The car was cleaner than when I brought it in!

I guess YMMV, for me today I got in after having an appointment scheduled for a few days and when I showed up I mentioned I had noticed a few more issues that I initially thought and got a relatively negative feedback that they don't add up additional work and that I should have called ahead and let them know, sort of like a talk down on not doing the right thing (sorry, it was a weekend and my appointment was at 08:30AM when did you expect me to tell you about these things??).
To be clear, these are all things that should have been taken care of in the CPO process, but were left out for example my driver door is squeaking and making a horrible sounds when retracting and it has done that since the first time I saw it in the showroom, I just didn't pay enough attention back then to put it on the due bill.

Anyways, they got me in a loaner S85 not even a Performance car but at least it has AP1 like my car, so I can slowly cruise to my business.
The service itself is quite expensive to be honest if it's anything outside of the warranty, for example my car needs wiper blades (that were not replaced in the CPO process, how cheap) and they wanted $60+ for them, no thank you.

Scheduled appointment. Scheduled loaner. 2/15 P85DL No issues.

P100D for the loaner fleet I think that is ludicrous. Waste of money and resources. Could cause more harm than good via accidents and bad press for ill informed users. Give me the car and go. I need to get back to doing what I was doing before my car needed service.

Sorry to go OT, but sometimes we all learn more from the content of the thread than what the original OP intended.

Scheduled appointment. Scheduled loaner. 2/15 P85DL No issues.

P100D for the loaner fleet I think that is ludicrous. Waste of money and resources. Could cause more harm than good via accidents and bad press for ill informed users. Give me the car and go. I need to get back to doing what I was doing before my car needed service.

Sorry to go OT, but sometimes we all learn more from the content of the thread than what the original OP intended.
Hmm, I actually think the car should be the same or better as your car. you should not be penalized for having service under warranty, especially with some owners having to return multiple times for things like their door handles not opening.

Sure, you can argue giving a P100D to an owner of a S60 is wasteful, but if some one owns a P85D/P90D/P100D anything below those will be less than ideal.

Tell that to dozens of other manufactures that don't give you *sugar* when you bring your car in for warranty work.
Every car I owned to date has provided loaners at least at the trim level or above to the car that I brought to service.
With Subaru I only got cars with < 1000 miles consistently for example, VW provided me with brand spanking new cars as well every time (again higher than the trim level I owned).

Hmm, I actually think the car should be the same or better as your car. you should not be penalized for having service under warranty, especially with some owners having to return multiple times for things like their door handles not opening.

Sure, you can argue giving a P100D to an owner of a S60 is wasteful, but if some one owns a P85D/P90D/P100D anything below those will be less than ideal.

I can see that would be a fair thought by many. Owned to many car brands to count. Grass is really never that green elsewhere. Sometimes that grass is downright burnt to a crisp. I would gladly trade the use of a loaner every time if I had a service professional talk to me the way Tesla does. Other companies just udder BS and unprofessional.

My thoughts are mistakes happen. Things break. Tesla does its best to make me a happy camper, and I am. I want them to be in business. I would rather they put their resources to helping out a hospital in PR than give me a fanicer Tesla for a day or 7. Sell the darn P100D and make some margin. Hey I enjoy learning about the newer old cars as loaners.

I can walk in with my hands on my hips and demand or say whatever. All I know is from being on the other side of the desk. Those folks just see a stuck up pain in A**. The less people in life that see that the better. Any Tesla loaner is good enough for me.

Mine even had snow tires:D Might get me some now.

I can see that would be a fair thought by many. Owned to many car brands to count. Grass is really never that green elsewhere. Sometimes that grass is downright burnt to a crisp. I would gladly trade the use of a loaner every time if I had a service professional talk to me the way Tesla does. Other companies just udder BS and unprofessional.

My thoughts are mistakes happen. Things break. Tesla does its best to make me a happy camper, and I am. I want them to be in business. I would rather they put their resources to helping out a hospital in PR than give me a fanicer Tesla for a day or 7. Sell the darn P100D and make some margin. Hey I enjoy learning about the newer old cars as loaners.

I can walk in with my hands on my hips and demand or say whatever. All I know is from being on the other side of the desk. Those folks just see a stuck up pain in A**. The less people in life that see that the better. Any Tesla loaner is good enough for me.

Mine even had snow tires:D Might get me some now.
we'll see.. I am a new owner and so far CPO and Service was okay an I am definitely not impressed by anything, the car it self is amazing and I am really looking forward to many miles of enjoyment with it. With the hopes of not running into some of the issues others have reported in the community and getting an uber back home / an ice car for repetitive service visits.

Every car I owned to date has provided loaners at least at the trim level or above to the car that I brought to service.
With Subaru I only got cars with < 1000 miles consistently for example, VW provided me with brand spanking new cars as well every time (again higher than the trim level I owned).
Count yourself lucky. My most recent experience is with Audi and I always got either a trim or model level below. Mileage was consistently low at least. I also recall my BMW experience being the same but that was over a decade ago. I don't expect Tesla to offer more than it's competition.

Count yourself lucky. My most recent experience is with Audi and I always got either a trim or model level below. Mileage was consistently low at least. I also recall my BMW experience being the same but that was over a decade ago. I don't expect Tesla to offer more than it's competition.
You guys are tough crowd :) I am not advocating for Tesla to be losing money for service loaners.
There are many owners in this thread and others that have received either no loaner or an ICE loaner, this doesn't even remotely chimes with the company's own policy:

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

It is OKAY to be vocally critical to the company making promises and not holding up to them, they should learn from that and many other instances where they over commit and under deliver.