Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scratched while summoning out of garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have done this a 1000 times and Tesla has always been overly cautious about when it can come out. Yesterday when I summoned I heard a scrapping and it turns out Tesla scratched/scuffed its big back fenders on the way out. I freaked out started using water and towel to see how much the damage was and was able to get majority of the scuffing off but it still looked bad. I was going to use magic eraser but decided to check here and found that using a compound may be better. so I rushed to a store and pick up turtle compound and with a lot of elbow grease got most of the scuff out. there is a line in the paint that went deeper than clear coat I think that one is not going away but the rest came out. I wish I had taken before and after pictures but I was freaked out at that point.

So my question is shouldn't Tesla with all its sensors and cameras have stopped before scuffing?

I'll get down voted like crazy, but this is an example of why I seriously doubt FSD will happen any time soon. Probably not in my lifetime (I'm 50).

The technology can't even back out slowly from a garage reliably, there's no way it's going to navigate streets reliably.

As for the scuff, yea, doing a full compound and wax job. You might ask a detailer, they may do a better job at less risk. Also, if you get a clear film (e.g. 3M) covering on bumpers and scuff them, it'll frequently just scuff the 3M and you're only out the cost of replacing that 3M piece.

Edit: worst case, talk to a bumper repair place. We have one called Same Day, they've fixed two bumper scuffs from being tapped by a car behind me and even a fairly deep 6 inch scratch on my door. It's not to the level that an actual auto shop would do, but I can't tell the difference and it was $500 vs the auto shop wanting $5000 dollars.

Last edited:
...So my question is shouldn't Tesla with all its sensors and cameras have stopped before scuffing?

Should but not now because it is still in beta and all the programming codes have not been finished yet.

Most likely, it's still using Sonars but the problem is: There's none on your sides such as doors so the system is blind on the sides.

There are sonars at the front and back bumper sides so whatever those senses are what they assume the same for your doors.

For example, when your front bumper is clear from your garage and it senses that it's free and clear but it doesn't realize that your door is only a few inches on both sides from your garage door.

There are indeed 8 cameras now that can solve that problem but someone needs to use those cameras (Just like the camera can take a video of a stop sign but someone needs to use that data and write some codes to stop the car for a stop sign).

I'll get down voted like crazy, but this is an example of why I seriously doubt FSD will happen any time soon. Probably not in my lifetime (I'm 50).

The technology can't even back out slowly from a garage reliably, there's no way it's going to navigate streets reliably.

the problem: the 3 is made 'to a price' and does not have nearly the amount of sensors and redundancy needed to do a full job.

hell, even the cameras have no defrosters or wipers (or anything at all, even moving film like movie cameras have, for big budget films).

its not hard to do it Right(tm) but then, its gonna cost a lot and so far, tesla has not gone far enough on the sensor array.

I think they will, but they are still learning. the hard way (sigh).

some new designs by other vendors do have redundancy and self-cleaning cameras. sorry, can't talk about it more than that, but they will be on the market in the next few years (yes, a long development cycle).

"I am much larger than most owners at about 25st."

Ha, for our American audience, that's "stone", or 14 lbs. "Stone", who uses "stone"? The Brits. I heard this measure used while watching Brit youtube vids. WTF? Why any society that still uses the SAE system desires to multiply by 14 is beyond me! HA!

I have done this a 1000 times and Tesla has always been overly cautious about when it can come out. Yesterday when I summoned I heard a scrapping and it turns out Tesla scratched/scuffed its big back fenders on the way out. I freaked out started using water and towel to see how much the damage was and was able to get majority of the scuffing off but it still looked bad. I was going to use magic eraser but decided to check here and found that using a compound may be better. so I rushed to a store and pick up turtle compound and with a lot of elbow grease got most of the scuff out. there is a line in the paint that went deeper than clear coat I think that one is not going away but the rest came out. I wish I had taken before and after pictures but I was freaked out at that point.

So my question is shouldn't Tesla with all its sensors and cameras have stopped before scuffing?
Just curious. Is you garage too small for you to pull in/back out?

"I am much larger than most owners at about 25st."

Ha, for our American audience, that's "stone", or 14 lbs. "Stone", who uses "stone"? The Brits. I heard this measure used while watching Brit youtube vids. WTF? Why any society that still uses the SAE system desires to multiply by 14 is beyond me! HA!

I'm not British, I just find the only way to weigh under 100 is to express my weight in stone, since I'm about 160kg/350lb or thereabouts. I just ate lunch so probably a bit more.

If I am standing in the path of the car, it "sees" me as a large obstacle and tries to turn around me. I have to stand to the side for it to not turn. However, I am much larger than most owners at about 25st.
My test for this resulted in the car detecting a pedestrian and stopping. 2020 MX / 2020.12 software.

the problem: the 3 is made 'to a price' and does not have nearly the amount of sensors and redundancy needed to do a full job.

I don't think anybody has established what the required number of sensors to do this job actually is.

For the last 20 years every time I've pulled out of a garage I've used two cameras on a rotating mount that can only look in one direction at a time, and these looked through windows that for the most part have no way to clear water from them other than the front. That has worked well enough for me - I don't see why it couldn't be made to work for a car.

Now, obviously Tesla hasn't gotten that far with the implementation. As far as I'm aware it doesn't use 90% of the sensors on the car to back out as it is, so adding a bunch more probably won't help.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec

Sorry about the scratch. For that small deep line you can try ordering a paint repair kit from DrColorChip. It worked great for me. Very impressed.