Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla screen and reading glasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do use reading glasses. The display on the left side of the screen is large enough to see it without glasses. When I use navigation I do have to concentrate and squint a little bit. When I surf the net or watch entertainment I do put my glasses on for a crystal clear view. As far as the backup and side cameras - no problem without glasses.

Reactions: AquaY
I'm nearly 60 and I have the usual vision problems of people my age.

the fonts ARE too small, the colors are not the best contrast, even the buttons sometimes could use more space between them, etc.

I hate to use the word 'accessibility' but like google and apple and ALL THE REST, the AKs are left out and mostly ignored. gui's are meant for the younger crowd, generally. (I've never seen an 'old guy' on any GUI team that has been on a project at work, at any company I've been at. not ever.)

if they ever go to a tile style approach where you can decide which bits you want to see, then maybe they could give us choice in fonts.

right now, they cram too much info and so the fonts and buttons are small.

(ob disc: I hate phones and always have trouble with them, too. pressing on glass is the least fun thing for me, UI wise.)

You can ditch the reading glasses by using either contacts or Lasik to get mono vision - one eye is reading, the other is distance. Did that 15 years ago and love it.
wow! when my eyes are not 'balanced' focally, even a tiny bit, I get a headache.

I truly need bifocals but just can't deal with that windowed view of the world. its a real problem. with glasses, you can move them up and down to change FL, but with contacts, you cant. you cant 'look over' your contacts like glasses.

and laser - isn't there 'star effect' due to the cuts? that's my big fear; that, and the notion that its a one-way operation and you cant back out of it or undo it. really frightens me, tbh.

I use non-prescription bifocal phtochromic sport sunglasses from Tifosi, link below.

At their lightest, these can be used even on a cloudy day, but they do not get light enough to use at night. In very bright sunlight, they don’t quite darken to the same level of standard sunglasses, but that is fine for me.

They work pretty well to allow me to read the screen while maintaining a clear view of the road. I do need to lean my head back slightly to clearly see items toward the top of the screen such as battery percentage or regen status.

At night I just deal with not really being able to read anything on the screen.

Tifosi Optics Veloce Interchangeable Lens Sunglasses - Fototec Readers

Last edited:
I had RLE done 3 days ago (one eye so far) with a trifocal toric lens. Did my first drive yesterday and the screen is still a little blurry (but not as bad as it is/was without my Rx glases). Should get better daily. It will be nice to be lens free when wanting to take a drive and not having to juggle glasses and sunglasses, cleaner, crap all the time.

wow! when my eyes are not 'balanced' focally, even a tiny bit, I get a headache.

I truly need bifocals but just can't deal with that windowed view of the world. its a real problem. with glasses, you can move them up and down to change FL, but with contacts, you cant. you cant 'look over' your contacts like glasses.

and laser - isn't there 'star effect' due to the cuts? that's my big fear; that, and the notion that its a one-way operation and you cant back out of it or undo it. really frightens me, tbh.

When my eye doctor told my wife and I about mono vision, he gave us contacts about it and said "if you don't throw up in the first 15 minutes, you'll be fine". Your mind adjusts to switching between eyes without you noticing.

Lasik is done cutting a flap and reshaping the cornea and then putting the flap back over it. If your pupil dilates larger than the flap, you can see halos, but the number I just looked up was less than 5%.

We were worried laser surgery as well and my wife talked to our eye doctor about it and he said he would let us know when there was enough published information about it and when he thought we would be good candidates. Later when we told us it was safe and we were good candidates, he recommended a former student of his (our eye doctor is a professor at Wilmer) to perform it.