Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Screen (Dangerous)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just had another converstaion with Aviva about why their quote for the Tesla is 6 times higher than the Porsche Macan S and he said . . . it's because of the screen, where it is is a distraction and causes more accidents adding that they would not insure anyone under 25 for that reason.

Frankly, I can see what he is on about . . . . from my first day of the test drive I've wondere about that screen being to the side and everything that needs doing needs to be done throughthat screen - it IS dangerous . . . . WHY can't Tesla see that?

Millions of other Tesla users including myself don’t have any problem with the screen size and it’s not a distraction, there is a smaller screen with key details and navigation map behind the steering wheel which is what I use while driving. IMHO maybe Tesla is not the right car for you if you are concerned about screen size.
Not on the model 3 though. However I've not had any issues other than the silly placed camera position for blind spot when indicating.

I've just had another converstaion with Aviva about why their quote for the Tesla is 6 times higher than the Porsche Macan S and he said . . . it's because of the screen, where it is is a distraction and causes more accidents adding that they would not insure anyone under 25 for that reason.

Frankly, I can see what he is on about . . . . from my first day of the test drive I've wondere about that screen being to the side and everything that needs doing needs to be done throughthat screen - it IS dangerous . . . . WHY can't Tesla see that?
The M3 just takes a little getting used to, but it frankly isn't a big distraction, or dangerous (if it was, the DoT would never have type-approved it for use!).

Aviva have never offered worthwhile quotes on Tesla (certainly the M3 in my experience), and clearly do not wish to do so.
Go to another insurer, or just don't buy a Tesla!

I don’t know what the Macan is but I do know that the Model 3 (standard) is insurance group 48D, and the LR and P are 50D - the highest classification.

They have supercar performance and I imagine quite a history of “watch this” incidents from people who can afford the car but have little experience of that level of performance.

Reactions: Beady3647
Garbage.

How exactly is it dangerous, or rather any more dangerous than any other sat nav or media device, utterly ridiculous statement. Anyway as people said above just nonsense from a telephone agent that knows they will never get a sale of insurance on a Tesla with their current underwriters policies.

it IS dangerous . . . . WHY can't Tesla see that?

because it isn't

Tesla (unlike other brands) publish stats of accidents and their figures show that Tesla is well below average, and more so for accidents when AP is engaged.

OK, a bit subjective ... "average" includes all old knackered cars, and AP-engaged is probably mostly on motorway so not comparable to "average" either. But the figures have shown a gradual improvement over time as more safety features are added OTA (comparing self-with-self does seem reasonable to me, even if comparing against "average" isn't

Recent OTA change has improved the deployment of airbags such that they are less often used. That should result in reduced insurance costs and premium reduction (£1K a piece if they go off)

You've driven the car for a matter of hours, @Forty_Two. People here have driven the car for years (this includes me). When I'm driving I have a fantastic view of the road ahead in the Model 3. I can flick my eye to the screen when needed, briefly, but that is in no way distracting. Hopefully you'll get used to the system. But if not, it doesn't mean the system needs to be changed just that it isn't the system for you.

Last edited:
It is a fact that inuance on the Tesla is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than nay other car (Porsceh £350 / Tesla £2,250) there's got to be a reason for that.

I got a quote from Avia for a Kia EV6 (eevery other dteaisl the same) £513 . . . . .. . that's Tesla £2,250 / Kia £513 . . . . WHY?

It’s not the first car to have the speedo to one side and it won’t be the last.

You can control pretty much everything via voice control if you want, which is safer than a lot of alternatives and in reality you really don’t need to fiddle much with things on the screen whilst driving.

I got a quote from Avia for a Kia EV6 (eevery other dteaisl the same) £513 . . . . .. . that's Tesla £2,250 / Kia £513 . . . . WHY?
You already stated in your OP that Aviva have issues with Teslas & seem to not to like insuring them. Comparing different cars with one individual broker without getting comparative quotes elsewhere is not representative and well-known that all brokers are very different with different cars.

To satisfy my curiosity, I just did a Comparethemarket quote for the EV6 with my own details. Cheapest quote is £551 for an approximately equivalent model to my car. I paid £535 with Admiral for my M3 LR. With multicar 10% discount, so I guess technically £594 overall. Screenshots for proof. Certainly nowhere close to your £2,250...

Edit: just noticed that EV6 quote is with telematics. Cheapest without is £566, so more representative of a normal quote and even closer to the M3 LR.

1648296034481.png

1648296128989.png

It is a fact that inuance on the Tesla is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than nay other car (Porsceh £350 / Tesla £2,250) there's got to be a reason for that.

Aviva seem to have gone crazy with Teslas though. I got quoted £2.5k for mine and in the end went with Vitality for £420.

Wow that's a lot.
Admittedly I live in rural Yorkshire but my M3LR is insured for £323.18.

Last year Aviva was cheapest for me, and their renewal this year similarly (£398), but their daily pricing is all over the place. I think something happened in 2021 though, as prior to that they had never been anywhere near close for me over the past 16 years! Likely reclassification of actuarial risk by post code.

I strongly suspect that aside from the high insurance group, Tesla's are more expensive to insure due to the average cost of a pay out in the event of a claim. The long lead time for accessing parts results in higher costs to the insurance company when providing a hire car.