Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Screen (Dangerous)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a fact that inuance on the Tesla is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than nay other car (Porsceh £350 / Tesla £2,250) there's got to be a reason for that.

I got a quote from Avia for a Kia EV6 (eevery other dteaisl the same) £513 . . . . .. . that's Tesla £2,250 / Kia £513 . . . . WHY?
Have you got any other quotes? I've never paid over the odds for Tesla insurance. Just accept that Aviva don't want to insure your car at this time and move on.

The screen being dangerous is a joke. If you actually believe that then you have clearly chosen the wrong car. For me a Tesla is about the easiest, non-distracting drive you could ever imagine. Coming from a Macan with its vast banks of buttons, knobs, levers and randomly placed instruments you should find a simple Tesla touchscreen pretty easy work!

Wow !!! Again, there's got to be a reason for that - what is it?
I would think it's the performance at a relatively low price - maybe they think it's going to attract the more affluent boy racers? Who knows, but it doesn't mean that much unless you are a 20 something with points history. I pay around £500 for my M3 LR insurance, which seems reasonable for a £50k high performance car.

It is a fact that insurance on the Tesla is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than nay other car (Porsche £350 / Tesla £2,250) there's got to be a reason for that.

50D (the highest possible)

Wow !!! Again, there's got to be a reason for that - what is it?

I reckon there are a couple of things.

Its blinking fast. I don't know if that alone increases the number of accidents / claims. I wonder how many boy-racers / youngsters there are owning an M3LR? - its quite a chunk-of-change, doesn't make any Vroom-Vroom noises, which I guess is a pre-requisite, and there are loads of them about and they all look the same - bit hard to stand out from the crowd.

But I suspect Insurance looks at the performance figures, and the sticker price, and then that sets the premium. Over time, once they have accident-rates and repair-cost data they can set an "actual" insurance risk / cost rate.

Then there is the cost of repair. I dunno if Tesla panels are dear (relative to other similar marques), or harder (more labour hours) to fit / spray etc. But there is plenty of history of Tesla parts taking a long time to arrive. That may well translate into Insurance having to provide a hire-car during that time, and that will be a cost that they know about.

I remember when AutoPilot was an option. Getting that fitted (regardless of whether you used it) entitled you to a discount on insurance. So they must have thought that contributed to safety, and now all Tesla have AP as standard.

Tesla has a lot of safety features, for the sort of things that 10 years ago it was easy to have an accident. Front collision warning is good if car in front of you stops and for some reason you don't. e.g. looking down at that exact moment; or car in front brake lights not working, etc. I know lots of cars have that, but a decade or two ago they didn't, so those sorts of fender-bender must have reduced dramatically.

I wonder if the accident rate is actually high, given the available performance of the vehicle. Any data available for that / comparison with other models?

Let’s be objective, the screen is dangerous if you try to use it while on the move. You can use voice control but IMO it’s not very good and I’ve just taken to not try to change media or play with the sat nav until I get to some lights.

On my test drive in December I actually kerbed the wheels because my eyes were off the road while I was trying to change the radio station on the giant screen. Could have been worse if there was a car in front or a pedestrian

Now whether that alone hikes the insurance up or not, I’m not so convinced.

• Disagree
Reactions: Obliter8 and Wol747
a fact that inuance on the Tesla is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than nay other car (Porsceh £350 / Tesla £2,250) there's got to be a reason for that.
That isn't a fact. That may apply to quotes that you have had but it doesn't apply to everyone. My Model 3 has the same screen as everyone else ... I am presently paying £215. If high quotes were because of the screen issue I would have high quotes too. The facts are that there are many different factors affecting insurance. Mine is lower because I live in a low crime area, a low accident area, my driving record, my age and having an SR+ with slightly lower grouping. Nothing to do with the screen!!

On my test drive in December I actually kerbed the wheels because my eyes were off the road while I was trying to change the radio station on the giant screen
I put the car on AP when I do something like change radio channel. I've glanced down at screen - same as I would have done in ICE - and then had the traffic in front of me slow up suddenly. First I knew about it was AP slowing down ... back in days before that I probably would have looked up in good time, but then had to brake heavily ... and then the car behind me would have had to be in a position to brake harder too ...

Reactions: Obliter8
Aviva have never given me or my wife a competitive quote for car insurance. They used to quote me £lol for mundane run of the mill cars.

Before I got the Tesla I was only paying £200 for a normal run of the mill car elsewhere and £400 for the Model 3.

If Someone who is used to paying £200 for car insurance can’t get a decent quote from aviva, who does?

I put the car on AP when I do something like change radio channel. I've glanced down at screen - same as I would have done in ICE - and then had the traffic in front of me slow up suddenly. First I knew about it was AP slowing down ... back in days before that I probably would have looked up in good time, but then had to brake heavily ... and then the car behind me would have had to be in a position to brake harder too ...
That’s fine on a dual carriageway or motorway

All my previous cars have had rotary dials I could use while keeping my eyes on the road until I got to what I needed

This isn’t a Tesla specific issue as everyone is now sticking distracting touchscreens in their cars

• Disagree
Reactions: Obliter8 and Wol747
I've had a BMW 520d which I bought new for the last 7 years. Insurance has always been £200 - £250 since I got it and I was insured with a few different companies over those 7 years (I use the compare sites at each renewal). Got my new M3 RWD a couple of weeks ago and yes I got some silly quotes but took a policy with Churchill for £236, so very comparable as far as I'm concerned.

I've just had another converstaion with Aviva about why their quote for the Tesla is 6 times higher than the Porsche Macan S and he said . . . it's because of the screen, where it is is a distraction and causes more accidents adding that they would not insure anyone under 25 for that reason.

Frankly, I can see what he is on about . . . . from my first day of the test drive I've wondere about that screen being to the side and everything that needs doing needs to be done throughthat screen - it IS dangerous . . . . WHY can't Tesla see that?
Insurance salesman: "Your quote is high because of reasons".

He was making that up .. even if it were true, can he quote any independent studies to confirm that? What about all the other zillion cars today with touch screens for (e.g.) radio functions etc? Are those also 6x more?

Why do you think its dangerous? There really isnt much need to tap the screen when driving (voice commands can be used for many/most things), and in most other cases there is almost no difference between the Tesla and other cars. At the moment, the V11 interface has come (possibly correctly) for making some operations more awkward, but that will almost certainly change with an update (something no other auto maker can do).

A few people have argued the off-center speedometer is a problem, but there is NO difference between glancing down vs glancing slightly to one side. and, after all, you should be checking the rear-view and side mirrors often as well, and THAT needs more "off road" glancing than the speedometer.

Find another insurance company.

• Love
Reactions: Obliter8
It is a fact that inuance on the Tesla is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than nay other car (Porsceh £350 / Tesla £2,250) there's got to be a reason for that.

I got a quote from Avia for a Kia EV6 (eevery other dteaisl the same) £513 . . . . .. . that's Tesla £2,250 / Kia £513 . . . . WHY?
I cannot believe any one is so naive as to not shop around different insurance companies. Model X, fully comp, lowest excess.

51883692837_20b8524aff_c_d.jpg

Last edited: