Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Screwed Me Royally This Weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For 5 years, I have dreamed of owning a Tesla. For 5 years, I looked at EVERY single Tesla for sale on TMC, ebay, autotrader, cl, and others. I was doubting that I would ever be able to get a Tesla in the price range I was willing to pay. Then, with a stroke of luck, I came across a great deal on an 85 AP1 car that is incredibly loaded. Man, I was SO happy. I LOVED this car. It was everything I dreamed it would be. For once, the reality was as great as the dream.

Then Tesla screwed me. Royally.

My A/C seemed a little loud and there was a weird gurgling noise coming from under the hood. I called the Jacksonville Service Center and they told me to bring it in and they would check it out. I also asked them to do my 3 year service while they had it.

So, Friday morning, we dropped it off. I had already been told we would get a loaner - and possibly even another Tesla if one were available. Sure enough, they had a Tesla for us. And THIS is where the screwing begins. You aren't going to believe this, but they gave me a 100D to drive and told me I could pick my car up the next morning. So we left J-ville and headed to St Augustine to spend the evening downtown.

Man, that 100D was AMAZING!!!! Those premium seats were SO damn comfortable compared to my first gen seats (though before that day, I thought MY seats were awesome). And man, the POWER and SPEED. OMG!! This thing was a ROCKET!! I eventually had to put it in chill mode because I was scaring my wife to deaf. It was SO fun to drive. And that facelift. Boy, it just jumped out at us every time we walked up to it. Such a beautiful car. And the range. I could drive for an hour before I even hit the max range of my old rusty Tesla.

And then, we had to return it. We didn't want to. There was our "primitive, slow, horribly uncomfortable seating, poor range having, shitty, old 85" sitting there. I guess I had no choice but to load it up and take it. I didn't want to, but I had to.

Nary a word was spoken between my wife and I for 15 minutes after we left. The silence was deafening. Finally, I looked at my wife - the person who only 60 days earlier had told me what an idiot I was to buy a Tesla - and she said to me, "Let's sell this one and get a 100D". I was SO excited. YES!! Let's do it. Now, I'm right back at the same place I was - living in fantasy world dreaming of the day I can afford a 100D!!

Why Tesla???!?!??!!!!! Why did you do this to me? Why did you turn my incredibly fast, amazing 85 into an old outdated "Piece of crap" (yes, my wife actually used those words!!)?

Ok. So, while there is some truth to all of this - and anyone who has got a higher model loaner knows it - I do actually love my 85. The car is amazing and has unbelievably rooted out my '66 Mustang I got when I was 16, as my heart-felt favorite car of all time. It is my baby and will always mean a lot to me. But it did suck to think of it in the way for a while. But, as I drove from J-ville back to Savannah on I-95, AP doing most of the work, I remembered just how grateful I was to have it. I truly love that car.

Sorry for the click bait - but it was YOU who made the assumption that it was bad. :p

@Buddyroe,

If you don't need the extra storage space, I recommend considering a Model 3. Even if you reserve a Model 3 now, you can have the RWD version delivered within a few weeks because you will have owner priority. Alternatively, you could reserve a Model 3 now, receive your invite to configure in a few days and then you can wait for the AWD version. It is definitely much better to wait for AWD after you have access to the configurator. Check out the Model 3 Delivery Estimator. Also, check out the range table here.

Model 3 pricing is as follows:
  • Model 3 SR: $35,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 LR: $44,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 SRD: $39,500 (Price estimated)
  • Model 3 LRD: $48,500 (Price estimated)
  • Model 3 Performance: $74,500 (Price estimated)
Options:
  • $1,000 Paint color other than black
  • $5,000 Premium upgrades package
  • $1,500 19" sport wheels
  • $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot
  • $3,000 Fully self-driving (Requires Enhanced Autopilot )
  • $2,000 (Estimate) Smart air suspension (might require AWD or it might be bundled with AWD)

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
@Buddyroe,

If you don't need the extra storage space, I recommend considering a Model 3. Even if you reserve a Model 3 now, you can have the RWD version delivered within a few weeks because you will have owner priority. Alternatively, you could reserve a Model 3 now, receive your invite to configure in a few days and then you can wait for the AWD version. It is definitely much better to wait for AWD after you have access to the configurator. Check out the Model 3 Delivery Estimator. Also, check out the range table here.

Model 3 pricing is as follows:
  • Model 3 SR: $35,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 LR: $44,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 SRD: $39,500 (Price estimated)
  • Model 3 LRD: $48,500 (Price estimated)
  • Model 3 Performance: $74,500 (Price estimated)
Options:
  • $1,000 Paint color other than black
  • $5,000 Premium upgrades package
  • $1,500 19" sport wheels
  • $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot
  • $3,000 Fully self-driving (Requires Enhanced Autopilot )
  • $2,000 (Estimate) Smart air suspension (might require AWD or it might be bundled with AWD)

I actually have a reservation and an invitation already. We have also driven the M3. We really did like it, but I think overall, we like the S better (I'm 50-50, but my wife is TOTALLY into the S).

And when I go to take my 2001 Avalon into Toyota what kind of loaners do we get? Their Corolla. I know our car is really old at this point but it was their top of the line fully loaded car back then when we bought it new. You'd think they would want to tempt you with something equivalent. Maybe they think since our car is so old we can't afford a new car :p. In any event I need for this car to last long enough until my AWD Model 3 is delivered. But I'd say Tesla is much smarter with their loaners although I think they've sold off a lot of them from what I heard at the end of last year. At least our last service loaner was a 90D they arranged from Enterprise through and a recent model.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
Reminds me about what my wife told me after we test drove the Model S a few weeks back and I asked her if we really should be ordering a brand new 75D instead of finding a used model, her response was "yolo". It was way more money than I was initially prepared to spend on a car, a brand new at that but when the wife gives the thumbs up as well I'd be a fool not to.

You know, every time I read complaints on this forum about how the Model S is "stale" and hasn't had a needed major refresh of the interior, yada yada yada, etc., I wonder what rock these people live under. As your experience demonstrates @Buddyroe, the car has evolved in major ways. The fact that it looks "kinda the same", inside and out, is such a surface-level evaluation that completely ignores the depth of the improvements. It's like saying that life on Earth has had no major refresh since that last major asteroid collision 65 million years ago.

We only received a Tesla loaner one time—a 75. It was beautiful—facelift, black on black—but the performance was surprisingly lacking compared to my 85 (also it didn’t have AP). I guess I can say “thanks, Tesla” because my wife was glad to get our car back.

You're not going to believe this, BUT THEY DID THE SAME THING TO ME!!!

I actually think they do it INTENTIONALLY. It's one thing to accidentally incite an uncontrollable longing in some unsuspecting customer's heart; it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING to do it INTENTIONALLY!!! Is that even LEGAL???!? But like you, I was hooked, and I ended up buying the MOST WONDERFUL AWESOME CAR from them. It's terrible I say; just terrible.

Man, I always got a Tesla loaner from Devon, yes loaded. Did a hole shot with a P90 one day. OK , crossed that of the bucket list. I'm more into range not speed. Still happy with the 60 and waiting for the one with 400+ mile range. Should be Tesla soon, I'll give it another 3 plus years.

Like the nose cone better then the face lift, wonder if you can do a reverse Face Lift to Nose Cone.