Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla screwing up license plate transfers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my M3 late last year, and throughout the ordering process I communicated that I'd like to keep the plates from my trade in. Even sent the delivery adviser photos of the plate I wanted to keep. Tesla insisted on me giving them my old plates, and I just assumed they needed them for the transfer. When the new plates arrived, they were not the plates I was expecting.

So I call their support, and they tell me that they are upgrading their system, and that license plate transfer requests are getting lost. I asked for my old plates back so I could do the transfer myself, and the rep told me that Tesla no longer had my plates. Since my original plate was not a customized one, they say there was nothing they could do. So if you intend to do a plate transfer when ordering a Tesla, make sure you communicate that clear and often.

In my case, I visited DMV and reported my old plates lost. After explaining the situation, the clerk was very helpful in getting my old plates transferred and ordering me a new set of them.

Oh my god......... lol. I am counting on them for the plate transfer too... but mine is a custom plate and they took them off my old car and handed them to me, so I have them both, I’m just praying when my registration comes it will be correct. I signed an additional form for a plate transfer, so... We will see... ::sweats:: I also took pics of the plates... I mean I’ve moved these plates to two other cars and the dealership was able to just register it straight to the new car and I drove off with my plates on the car. But Tesla for some reason said they couldn’t do it. Shrugs. My whole ordering and delivery process was terrible and so I’m not surprised if they keep screwing things up. I’m still getting no response on my duplicate order and it’s still showing in the system lol. Shrugs. I just wanna be done with dealing with them!!! And enjoy my car! Lol.

Oh my god......... lol. I am counting on them for the plate transfer too... but mine is a custom plate and they took them off my old car and handed them to me, so I have them both, I’m just praying when my registration comes it will be correct. I signed an additional form for a plate transfer, so... We will see... ::sweats:: I also took pics of the plates... I mean I’ve moved these plates to two other cars and the dealership was able to just register it straight to the new car and I drove off with my plates on the car. But Tesla for some reason said they couldn’t do it. Shrugs. My whole ordering and delivery process was terrible and so I’m not surprised if they keep screwing things up. I’m still getting no response on my duplicate order and it’s still showing in the system lol. Shrugs. I just wanna be done with dealing with them!!! And enjoy my car! Lol.

I think you have a better chance of it working properly since you have custom plates.

THIS IS FOR CALIFORNIA ONLY
So I just went through this on my Tesla 3. Fortunately, I had talked to the Sacramento-based DMV special registration unit BEFORE I took delivery. They recommended:
1) Go to local DMV office and walk in door with the plates you want to move
2) Fill out "SPECIAL INTEREST LICENSE PLATE APPLICATION" and use the 3rd option which is "REASSIGN, RETAIN, RELEASE INTEREST". In this case RETAIN INTEREST.
3) DMV will issue new plates that you can put on your trade-in car. You will have physical possession of your old plates.
4) When your new "standard" plates come from DMV, you take the new standard plates as well as the old "RETAIN"ed plates to DMV and fill out another "SPECIAL INTEREST LICENSE PLATE APPLICATION", only this time you are going to get your old plates re-assigned to your new car.

Worked perfectly for me.

arghhhhh~~~~~ *reads above post again* .... ARGGghhhhh~~~

I don't even know what paper I signed for them to transfer my plates... Tesla still hasn't scanned any documents into the system from like, last month... lol....... I still don't know how to start paying my loan either... not to say anything about my registration or the transfer of my plates LOL. This has been the most annoying car buying experience ever.