Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla seeking to open Richmond facility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt like others on this thread, I've been in communication with DMV regarding the next hearing date. As of this morning May 19 still no date.

DMV -- "The parties have been unable to agree on the next hearing date. As soon as a date becomes available, we will post it on DMV’s website."

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Ended up taking my MS to Dyke Tire on Curtis' recommendation. They installed my 2 tires and did my state inspection in about an hour.

Yeah, I bought my Continental ExtremeContact DSW 06's from Dyke Tires for a terrific price. Love the tires over the OEM Michelin MXM4's for the P85, which always struggled for traction on the drive tires with the MXM4's.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles --
The 3rd Tesla hearing date is scheduled for July 1, 2016. It will be held at DMV HQ, CRM 702 and will start at 9:00 AM.
Which happens to be the Friday on the July 4th weekend. Nice way to minimize chance of public attendence. But it may also be conveniently on the way to the beach for some..

A VADA letter writing campaign soliciting letters to VA DMV opposing Tesla.

Pretty funny since the point of the hearing is too evaluate the public interest, not the dealer interest. A letter writing campaign from the virginia public will be much more effective. Please email support in favor of Tesla and how being able to buy a car without going to a middleman seller of rustproofing and pinstriping and financing shenanigans better serves the public interest to [email protected].

Dear Mr. Holcomb,

I represent the few, the rich, the smarmy. The industry trying to block advance. You need to protect me because I give your legislators hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions. Without me, you all would look like Bob McDonnell shopping at (gasp!) Belk for a cheap suit! I know, I know, I'm laying the dire consequences on quick and early. But I need your attention.

You know all those mortgage brokers from the early 2000's? They'd be unemployed if it wasn't for me. They do a great job stealing money, er, um, delivering new and used cars to the gullible consuming public. They're great at what they do. They convince and otherwise unskilled buyer into paying too much for their car by creating the most cloudy and dishonest purchase process imaginable. And I get to keep all the manufacturer incentives so my gold plated shark pool remains shiny and filled with chum. You can come visit it any time you want, after you purchase some nitrogen filled tires from me.

You're going to hear from that awful Tesla about how "consumers want choice" and "consumers want a fair purchase process" and "consumers want to deal directly with a manufacturer like the Apple stores" but don't believe them. That's just Tesla firing up a thousand overseas interns ginning up email accounts to send you false emails about their interests. Let me tell you how evil they are: They use the internet to sell cars. The INTERNET! Did you hear me??? How on earth can the internet possibly sell undercoating or extended warranties? Or build a completely insane pricing/finance algorithm that could only come from the mind of a shrewd and financially driven salesman?

Don't believe them! It's all lies! Trust the system in place for over 70 years! The one that brought you the most-hated profession- used car salesman! The system that has lined the pockets of your legislators for generations and put them in really low priced automobiles (that we still made money on because we just rolled back your odometers and sold them as new when you finished using them... but who's keeping score among friends?)!. It's all about trust right here and right now. Stay with us and you won't be shopping at Belk any time soon.

But you leave us and you'd better get prepared. We'll unleash THE CLOSER on you.

Sincerely,

The VERY VERY VERY rich automobile dealers of Virginia

Saving for posterity: they claims the dealers want to sell Teslas, but they mock Tesla on their Facebook page:

upload_2016-6-17_17-54-24.png

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Who is planning on attending the 1 July hearing? I will be there and I know of a few others. At the last hearing we had good representation. We parked our cars in one line in the parking lot in front of the building. Chickensevil and I arrived first at around 7:45 am or so last time --- and others followed shortly afterwards.

If you are planning on attending please let us know via this thread --- it would be good to have a head count in advance.

As of now, I know of six people likely to attend and one possible. That's only seven! I know it is the Friday heading into a holiday weekend but the more Tesla supporters that attend help to send a message to the DMV. Hope more of you can make it.

At the last hearing, a number of Tesla owners were allowed to make a verbal statement of support. Although it is unknown if the hearing officer will again allow such statements, it doesn't hurt to be prepared with one (should you so desire). Just be sure to emphasize the theme that Tesla direct sales are in the public interest.

I don't recall everything I said in my brief letter, but here are a few things I recall.

You want to focus on what's in it for you, the consumer: it's in the public's best interest to allow. The second argument (dealerships won't sign up) isn't something we as citizens can make.

1. State your support early in the letter. Like the first sentence. Just get the message across immediately in case they're not reading anything more than support/opposition.
2. I talked about the opaque and unfair purchase process through a dealership (I negotiate deals for a living) and how it's entirely stacked in the dealer's advantage to the point my wife, an attorney for the state who litigates, will not negotiate with a car salesman nor will she set foot in a service shop for fear they will try to take advantage of her.
3. Capitalism is the economic system in the United States. A vote for a new business model is a vote for capitalism. A vote against is for anti-competitive behavior.
4. I want to hand off the planet to future generations in a condition better than I leave it. Supporting all forms of EV's accomplishes this goal. The largest auto makers and their dealer networks have long-standing relationships with oil companies. They are colluding to stifle innovation and sales of EV's. To break this unhealthy relationship you must allow new business models to compete.

Keep it to one page or less. And thanks for sending a note to them. I think volume helps.

volume absolutely helps. Don't make it a dissertation.

Say you and other VA car buyers will be better off buying from Tesla in Virginia instead of having to go to Maryland or NC or Penn, or buying from independent franchisers who don't even understand hybrids and certainly won't understand electric cars.
(And they won't understand Tesla solar panels and powerwalls!)

The consumer satisfaction with their sales and service is in the toilet.

The alternative is that you will go out of state to Tesla stores instead of patronize the unpleasant VA franchise dealers. That hurts the VA car buyer and the VA economy as Tesla business will have to go to nearby states.

With Tesla's sales and service presence and their valet service, their loaner and car rental policy and other methods create good competition for VA dealers and perhaps they will improve their sales and service in response to competitors like Tesla.

Free market depends on competition and the market will improve in response to competition from Tesla.

Everyone, even the dealers themselves, but especially car buyers, will be better off with Tesla selling directly in the VA and improving the overall cur buying and service experience.

Contact info:
[email protected]
TELEPHONE - EXT (804) 367-6606
FAX (804) 367-2296

Last edited:
Reactions: CatB
I can't say it any better than @bhzmark and @hsctiger93 . But I will repeat:

1. Start your letter/email with your statement of support. Then follow up with your supporting information.
2. State that if Virginia won't allow direct purchase of a Tesla, then consumers will go to MD or DC to purchase one. This equates to a loss of jobs in Virginia.

I did both of these and received acknowledgement both from DMV and from the Secy of Transportation (on behalf of the Governor's office). I sent identical letters to both offices.

BTW, you can go to the web site for the governor of Virginia and find a link to email his office. That is what I did.....

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and CatB
Got a response from the DMV

Mr. ######,

On behalf of Commissioner Holcomb, I am writing to thank you for the correspondence on the subject of Tesla Motors, Inc. I have forwarded your communication to the Hearing Officer currently presiding over the Tesla matter for his consideration.

With kind regards,

######
So they are taking the time to read and handle them.