Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla seeking to open Richmond facility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Tesla has purchased land in Richmond to open a sales facility. With any luck, it would also include a service center!

Of course, the Virginia Auto Dealers Association is doing everything they can to try to prevent it. Their first move is a civil suit to try to prevent the DMV from even holding a hearing. It is interesting that they sued both the DMV and Tesla, which suggests that they do not believe that they can use their influence with the DMV to head them off administratively.

I just got off the phone with my friend who knows everyone worth knowing in the commercial real estate space and he tells me the facility Tesla has optioned is a large one on West Broad. It is of a size that it pretty much has to include a service center.

• Informative
Reactions: number12
I just got off the phone with my friend who knows everyone worth knowing in the commercial real estate space and he tells me the facility Tesla has optioned is a large one on West Broad. It is of a size that it pretty much has to include a service center.
Even better-- now the auto dealer cartel is trying to block owners of a competing brand from having their car serviced locally. Regardless of the outcome of this case, they're sure to lose in the court of public opinion.

I'll keep an eye out for that. Obviously, the court doesn't seek public comment and I don't know anything about the DMV process.

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but Fairfax is one of only two circuit courts in the state that don't have online access to court documents through CCMS, so I can't read the complaint.

Last edited:
I posted a general thread, Virginia - Call to Action - March 2016, on this.

Even if you're not in VA, amplifying the message via social media is helpful. Everyone can help. Keep in mind that many in VA government support Tesla's right to open multiple stores. The lawsuit was brought by the dealerships.

Request is that everyone be respectful in their interactions with VA govt officials - they're (mostly) on the side of opening more stores and free trade. Especially the governor.

Please see the below email from Tesla. I'm posting this here so hopefully we can get some additional support on Thursday. I have removed the employee's information since I wasn't sure how he would feel having it posted to the internet, but will gladly share it out in a PM if someone is interested in going!

I am personally unable to make it due to the short notice. But anyone who can support this I'm sure it would be appreciated!

Date: March 29, 2016 at 2:09:16 PM EDT
Subject: Please Help: Attend Tesla Hearing for Richmond Store

Dear Tesla Supporters and Enthusiasts,

We need your help. If you are available and interested in supporting a new Tesla sales, service and delivery center in Richmond, please join us at a hearing this Thursday, March 31 @ 9am ET (details below). Members of our policy and legal team will be in attendance to debate the merits of Tesla's application. If you are inclined, please be prepared to share your experience shopping for and owning your Tesla all-electric vehicle.

If you plan to attend and/or have any questions, please reach me directly.

Thanks in advance and be well

--

Tesla Hearing for Richmond Store
Thursday, March 31 @ 9:00 am ET
DMV Headquarters: 2300 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23269
And here’s the official notice that was published on DMV website and in newspapers:
NOTICE OF TESLA MOTORS, INC. HEARING ON OPERATION OF DEALERSHIP BY MANUFACTURER

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), pursuant to Va. Code § 46.2-1572(4), is conducting a hearing to determine whether Tesla Motors, Inc. a Commonwealth-licensed motor vehicle manufacturer, may also be licensed to own, operate or control a new motor vehicle dealership in Richmond, Virginia. The formal evidentiary hearing will take place on Thursday, March 31, 2016, starting at 9 A.M. at DMV’s headquarters located at 2300 West Broad Street, Richmond.

The issue to be discussed at the hearing is whether there is any dealer independent of Tesla Motors, Inc. available to own and operate the dealership in a manner consistent with the public interest. Tesla Motors, Inc. will maintain the position that no such dealer exists and that the public interest is served by allowing Tesla Motors, Inc. to operate the dealership.

Any party interested in this matter is invited to attend the hearing and may provide relevant information.

Edit: Per request I have removed additional identifying information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanny
Anybody else think the timing is odd? Same day as Model 3 reservations. Although it could have been coincidence, my suspicious side is thinking the dealers wanted this date in the hopes that Tesla supporters would be too busy camping out in line to show up. Here's hoping the opposite occurs: news of long queues across the country makes headlines and convinces the good powers that be to support the public's right to pursue happiness without making some dealer richer.

Anybody else think the timing is odd? Same day as Model 3 reservations. Although it could have been coincidence, my suspicious side is thinking the dealers wanted this date in the hopes that Tesla supporters would be too busy camping out in line to show up. Here's hoping the opposite occurs: news of long queues across the country makes headlines and convinces the good powers that be to support the public's right to pursue happiness without making some dealer richer.
There will be no line to camp out in in Richmond, the state capital where the hearing is being held, because Richmond doesn't have a Tesla store yet. That's what the hearing is about. Unless you think Tesla supporters in Richmond will be busy camping out at Tysons Corner which is over 100 miles away.

In case the issue of the 'confidential settlement agreement' comes up that the dealerships claim prohibit a second store, I've attached the agreement here. (Obtained through the VA Open Records process.) Please print it out and bring it along.

It clearly calls out that the agreement signed in 2012 ONLY applies to the Tyson's Corner facility and has nothing to do with any future facilities.

And @CatB - of course that's why the time is on the 31st!

Attachments

• Tesla - Settlement Agreement and Attachments.pdf
    964.8 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: jthompson
Note that the VA DMV has been supportive of Tesla opening the Richmond facility. The VA Dealership Association (VADA) has brought a lawsuit against the VA DMV, saying they were violating the settlement agreement (posted above). This is clearly not true.

I'm sure the VA DMV would like this lawsuit to go away & I suspect this will be a good hearing. IF Tesla owners are there. So please be there if you can.

Also, the Richmond Times Dispatch will be paying attention - they've been following this story closely.

Reactions: Lanny
I try not to be all conspiracy on this. I am pretty certain this hearing date was picked back in Jan or so, right? Isn't this the same hearing that VADA was suing about to try and get them to postpone it?

I'm sure it's just bad luck to have it be on the same day. That said, yes I know at least one person who was going to drive up to Tyson's to put down a reservation who is now second guessing that in order to support this issue.

For what it is worth, owners get priority in the line, so even if you can't get your deposit down right at 10am it will likely not move you back too far in the line.

Ah man. I took tomorrow off to reserve a 3. Since I am not a owner I am not sure which is a better place to go.
If I may be so bold - write a letter explaining your dilemma and your support for the opening of a store and service center. Explain that as a citizen of the commonwealth, you want your elected govt to protect your right to purchase a product and have it serviced the same way as your neighbors in other states. I'm guessing if we have a few of these available to print off, that others can represent your point-of-view at the hearing. That way you can do both. I believe there is a hearty, healthy handful of advocates who will be showing up and to have those individuals represent more that wanted to come is not a bad thing...

Who is going to definitely go to Richmond? Can you post here so people will know to pm you to get an email address where they can send scans of their letters?

Who is going to definitely go to Richmond? Can you post here so people will know to pm you to get an email address where they can send scans of their letters?

I've cleared my schedule and I am definitely going to attend. In my email to Tesla, the Government Relations Manager suggested that if I was unable to attend that I should email my comments to "[email protected]" -- I assume that would be good advice for anyone who finds that they cannot attend.

Reactions: techmaven and CatB