Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla self driving . Do you get less tired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 70 minute daily commute and I have FSD. You will still need to be just as engaged while driving in FSD, because it isn’t trustworthy and reminds you every 15 or so seconds to apply pressure to the steering wheel. It is certainly NOT self driving to the point where you’d be more awake at the end of your commute. You’ll do less controlling of the car, sure, bit the FSD is NOT to be trusted and you will need to be mentally engaged.

I have FSD and use NoA on the highways as much as I can. I find it more stressful than actually driving the car, but the technology interests me. Honestly, it's about as relaxing as taking a teenage driver onto the highway for the first time. On empty highways, it's perfectly fine, but around traffic, it can get a little dicey.

I've had long commutes all my life. I know there are packs of cars (or individual vehicles) that you come across that you want to stay away from based on their drivers' behavior. The Tesla can't do that.

I can take a long view of the road and see slowing traffic way out in front of me or in a specific lane. The Tesla can't do that. It will blithly fly forward until it needs to react.

If you're looking for a reason to get a Tesla, there are plenty, but a relaxing commute isn't one of them, for me at least.

I jist got a job offer that is so good to reject. The commute time is 1.5 hours each way due to heavy traffic. I am thinking of buying a Tesla w self driving option to help me . Is this a good idea ?

Thanks
Significantly less tired using NOA. It’s all of those micro adjustments that the car does for you that makes the drive less tiring.

I have driven 100,000 miles using auto pilot, since it’s very first introduction in October 2015.
It is amazing how much less fatigue you get while using auto pilot on the highway.
My longest day has been 14 hours, and just yesterday I did 11 hours worth of driving.
Auto pilot takes away the mundane task of keeping your car centered on the highway at all times.
If you think about it, the constant corrections left and right, are both mentally and physically fatiguing.
This is what leads to what some people call “highway Hipnosis“ that really makes you tired.
The challenges of auto pilot on city streets, can be a little less relaxing.

I have FSD and use NoA on the highways as much as I can. I find it more stressful than actually driving the car, but the technology interests me. Honestly, it's about as relaxing as taking a teenage driver onto the highway for the first time. On empty highways, it's perfectly fine, but around traffic, it can get a little dicey.

I've had long commutes all my life. I know there are packs of cars (or individual vehicles) that you come across that you want to stay away from based on their drivers' behavior. The Tesla can't do that.

I can take a long view of the road and see slowing traffic way out in front of me or in a specific lane. The Tesla can't do that. It will blithly fly forward until it needs to react.

If you're looking for a reason to get a Tesla, there are plenty, but a relaxing commute isn't one of them, for me at least.

Very good points. For long trips on the highway I find it far less fatiguing (though I wonder if no engine vibration also helps?), but in traffic situations the description of taking a teenage driver on to the highway seems apt.

I almost never use NoA, because the Tesla's ability to change lanes is maddening/stressful. I'd much rather push down on the stalk.

It is all about getting used to what the car can and cannot do, and getting a feel for how the car operates. In order for you to understand what FSD can and cannot do you have to let it do its thing while being fully ready to take over if it does something you are not comfortable with. After you understand what FSD can and cannot do and HOW it does what it does, then and only then does driving with it on feel less stressful because you won't be concentrating on the basic driving functions(steering and accel/deceleration).

And it will not remind you every 15 seconds to apply pressure to the steering wheel if you are holding it appropriately. It isn't pressure either, it is rotational torque that needs to be applied. Putting my arm on my leg and resting my hand on the steering wheel at the 7 o'clock position works great for me but everyone is different.

The car is very good at maintaining position in the lane, it is also very good at maintaining distance and adjusting to dynamic speed conditions. If that is all you need FSD for(generally highway driving) then you will be fine and FSD should help reduce fatigue. There are things I let my car do, and there are situations where I don't let the car do anything.

For California commute traffic? Not if you intend to rely on it. Especially a pre AP3 car. You need to be fully alert and engaged 100% of the time knowing that it will work amazingly well until it doesn't. To paraphrase the old saying, hours of total boredom followed by microseconds of complete panic.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Using my Model 3 with radar, driving with AP is much more relaxing and I arrive much less tired. Driving my wife's June 2021 MY with Vision Only, auto pilot is basically unusable in my opinion. Point is this -- if you are needing this in the near term, I would make sure that the Tesla you are purchasing has radar. I hope that Tesla will eventually fix it. If they have not fixed it by January, I will sell the Model Y and purchase something else for my wife that does have functioning lane-keeping and TACC. Without a doubt, I regret the Modely Y purchase at this point.

I jist got a job offer that is so good to reject. The commute time is 1.5 hours each way due to heavy traffic. I am thinking of buying a Tesla w self driving option to help me . Is this a good idea ?

Thanks
That's my commute in SoCal too, for the last 2 years. As long as talk about mostly freeway driving it does make a humongous difference. Yeah, street driving FSD isn't there but that's just 4 miles for me and I can live with it as long as the car does the freeways.
For California commute traffic? Not if you intend to rely on it. Especially a pre AP3 car. You need to be fully alert and engaged 100% of the time knowing that it will work amazingly well until it doesn't. To paraphrase the old saying, hours of total boredom followed by microseconds of complete panic.
Not sure if Reno traffic is the same, but from my personal experience driving in Southern California, the long range commute on freeways is exactly what the FSD is best at, including the stop and go traffic. Just my 2c and close to 75k miles

Just clarifying my car is a 2020 M3-LRAWD with FSD(so radar included)

Reactions: Microterf
It is all about getting used to what the car can and cannot do, and getting a feel for how the car operates. In order for you to understand what FSD can and cannot do you have to let it do its thing while being fully ready to take over if it does something you are not comfortable with. After you understand what FSD can and cannot do and HOW it does what it does, then and only then does driving with it on feel less stressful because you won't be concentrating on the basic driving functions(steering and accel/deceleration).

And it will not remind you every 15 seconds to apply pressure to the steering wheel if you are holding it appropriately. It isn't pressure either, it is rotational torque that needs to be applied. Putting my arm on my leg and resting my hand on the steering wheel at the 7 o'clock position works great for me but everyone is different.

The car is very good at maintaining position in the lane, it is also very good at maintaining distance and adjusting to dynamic speed conditions. If that is all you need FSD for(generally highway driving) then you will be fine and FSD should help reduce fatigue. There are things I let my car do, and there are situations where I don't let the car do anything.

This is my opinion as well. I own both an S and an X, and extensively use AutoPilot on both.

One thing: Aside from the select few, none of us have FSD. We have AutoPilot and (optionally) NOA. I suggest we be careful in describing our experience and utilization of the features to avoid confusion.

Anywho... I think it's all about first learning the capabilities of the system. Learn where it excels. Learn the situations where it maybe won't be as reliable as you'd like. Then once you have that confidence built up, you can generally trust it to work as intended. And as a result, your stress level is significantly reduced. It's amazing how much less fatigued you can be after a long drive with AutoPilot versus without.

Just don't be stupid and stop paying attention to the road. You still have to monitor what the car is doing. But the amount of alertness is reduced.

Reactions: X-pilot
On long trips, especially on unfamiliar routes, I’m definitely less tired. Here’s my hypothesis as to why…

In a normal car, your mind is constantly trying to:
1. Monitor for road hazards (road debris, pot holes, etc.)
2. Monitor for other drivers who may pose a hazard
3. Monitor your route/directions so you don’t miss an interchange or exit ramp.

In a Tesla with FSD, the car is doing most of 2 and all of 3 so your brain can devote more attention to 1.

I’m sure there’s a neuroscientist on here that can comment on the validity of my hypothesis, but I’ve personally always found multitasking, driving or otherwise, to be more tiring than performing a single task.

• Love
Reactions: Microterf
Significantly less fatiguing. The proof is just ask any regular user of AutoPilot how much they enjoy highway driving once it's turned off. You wont realize how much concentration is required to keep car in lane, etc.
A much more relaxing and pleasurable experience.
Plus, if you're married, you get to say this to your spouse "I'm a little tired, I'm going to take a nap and let the car drive by itself" (wait for reaction)

Reactions: sfuape
I drive 50mi to work and 50mi back every weekday for 6mo in my M3P FSD. I don't use NoAP, but use AP + auto lane change. I can't ever go back. It makes the commute so much less tiring, frustrating, raging, etc. I still goose the throttle, step on the brake (lack of trust it would stop b/c it brakes SOOO late...), but the TACC + Lane centering is just glorious

Reactions: sfuape