Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self-Maintenance Policy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is directed more toward current Model S and Model X owners, but I'm posting it in the Model 3 forum, since I'm a potential future Model 3 owner. I know Tesla has some "annual checkups" and other sort of recommended minor maintenance. Obviously, the cars will require much less maintenance than a conventional ICE vehicle, but will require some maintenance of wear items such as brake pads, windshield wipers, tires, etc.

Typically, unless a repair requires specialized tools or expertise, I do my own repairs and maintenance on my cars, even if they're still under warranty. I just see no rational reason to pay $100 an hour labor for something I can do myself for free for the cost of the parts. How much of a stickler is Tesla about coming in for the recommended checkups? Do they give you a hard time if you haven't come in for a while, or have done your own minor maintenance? Just curious.

Most of the things you mentioned they don't care about. The only one I don't know about is about brake pads. However, it will be much longer before you need new pads on your 3 compared to your normal ICE. Because of the regen you just simply use the physical brakes less. You are free to get tires from wherever you want. The service center replaced by windshield wipers for free when I mentioned that they were skipping, but they wouldn't care if you replace them yourself. Same goes for cabin air filter. They do recommend you get the annual service, but it doesn't void the normal new car warranty if you don't.

Reactions: democappy
...own minor maintenance..

They do have Service Manual online but it's more expensive than just bringing your car to Service Center.

In general, Tesla still honors 4 year/50,000 mile standard warranty even if you don't bring in your car to their Service Centers.

I think they won't honor warranty if a cause is from lack or improper maintenance such as low coolant liquid...

It has been fine for owners to do tire service by non-Tesla staff such as tire replacement, balancing, wheel alignments...

They may deny selling Extended Warranty to you if they review your Service Center records and see that you don't bring yours in as scheduled.

This should be interesting when applied to the 3... will there be any less or more to 'maintain'? I doubt it. Will they still have the 'optional maintenance plains'? It sorta smacks of the old dealer model, selling things you don't 'really' need.... since, as above, you don't.

...selling things you don't 'really' need...

Just like going to the dentist.

Some people don't have a toothache now so they don't see a need to go a dentist just yet.

Others would gladly to pay to go to the dentist even when they don't see anything wrong with their teeth.

Maintenance is an option. It's up to each individual to make that option as a "need" or not.

They do have Service Manual online but it's more expensive than just bringing your car to Service Center.

In general, Tesla still honors 4 year/50,000 mile standard warranty even if you don't bring in your car to their Service Centers.

I think they won't honor warranty if a cause is from lack or improper maintenance such as low coolant liquid...

It has been fine for owners to do tire service by non-Tesla staff such as tire replacement, balancing, wheel alignments...

They may deny selling Extended Warranty to you if they review your Service Center records and see that you don't bring yours in as scheduled.
The service manual charges crack me up. Is 1 hour even enough time to find and comprehend what you're looking for? And then you have to commit the repair to memory? I wonder if that's enough time to print screen every page...

I broke a spring on a wiper arm recently (I lifted it too far - completely my fault) and having been told it wasn't fixable, asked them to sell me the part and I would install it myself. They didn't complain at all and sold me the part. Had it waiting at the front desk when I arrived.

Then I tinkered with the broken one for a few minutes and figured out I could have easily fixed it. oh well....

I also bought cabin air filters from them for DIY - the price is now like $8.25. Amazon still wants $35 or so for an aftermarket replacement.

Brought my car in recently wearing its snow tires - wheels and tpms bought used from another Tesla owner with snow tires purchased and mounted locally - they didn't say anything - checked the pressure and tread as usual.

From talking to the service advisor, they are willing to "a la carte" the annual service if there is something you don't want them to do, or something extra you want to add. Pretty flexible really.

Just wish the online service manual didn't cost money - and was available to people outside of Massachusetts!

Last edited:
Just like going to the dentist.

Some people don't have a toothache now so they don't see a need to go a dentist just yet.

Others would gladly to pay to go to the dentist even when they don't see anything wrong with their teeth.

Maintenance is an option. It's up to each individual to make that option as a "need" or not.
Have you looked at what's included and what it costs? It's not exactly hurting the car to skip the wiper blade replacements as part of the hundreds of dollars for 'maintenance'. There is very little preventive in the extra cost maintenance plans. Been discussed many times.

Does anyone know the format of the Service Manuals? Are they PDF's?

Have you looked at what's included and what it costs?...

Yes, I did and I experienced it for the last 5 years with my previous 2012 Model S with over 88,000 miles.

Each time I brought mine in, they always found something to fix at no additional cost (I prepaid an 8 year plan which is now no longer an option as the maximum plan is currently 4).

It's a machine on wheel and I feel there's value to pay someone to do inspections and preventive maintenance in my case.

I am not opposing others for not bringing your car in.

Yes, I did and I experienced it for the last 5 years with my previous 2012 Model S with over 88,000 miles.

Each time I brought mine in, they always found something to fix at no additional cost (I prepaid an 8 year plan which is now no longer an option as the maximum plan is currently 4).

It's a machine on wheel and I feel there's value to pay someone to do inspections and preventive maintenance in my case.

I am not opposing others for not bringing your car in.
Interesting... I thought it was only the listed items. I'll take another look at the plans, thanks!

Interesting... I thought it was only the listed items. I'll take another look at the plans, thanks!

My case might be different but Tesla did more that what was required of them.

I was young and innocent and didn't take advantage of my Air Suspension for my 2012 Model S.

I brought my car in after a little more than 6 months because my 12,500 miles racked up fast.

They replaced the front underpanel because of severe scrapes that I didn't even realize how bad I was scraping the front bottom of the car. It was more than cosmetic because some fasteners were knocked off too. That could easily be hundreds of dollars but they did it for no additional cost.

Both of my fobs were severely scratched but fully functional but they went ahead and replaced them (fob's cosmetic is not covered under warranty). It's cheaper now, but at that time, it costed like $350 x 2 =$700 but at no extra cost for me!

They have been doing quite a few "Service Bulletins" that are not recalls and are not required to be fixed/replaced unless you bring your car in. They could be fasteners, seals, chrome trims or treats such as upgraded mats, upgraded bigger sunvisors...

On my second visit, they preemptively replaced my 12V battery with no additional cost. They said mine is not among the VINs indicated in a "Service Bulletin" but they said it'd better be safe than sorry and they didn't want me to get stranded on the road.

On my seventh's annual service last month at 87,500 miles, my car has been running fine but they pre-emptively replaced my drive unit even though I didn't realize that the floor-the-accelerator "jet" sound is louder than their standard.

In my case, it is worth my money because Tesla preemptively makes sure that my car won't break down in the middle of a road.

My case might be different but Tesla did more that what was required of them.

I was young and innocent and didn't take advantage of my Air Suspension for my 2012 Model S.

I brought my car in after a little more than 6 months because my 12,500 miles racked up fast.

They replaced the front underpanel because of severe scrapes that I didn't even realize how bad I was scraping the front bottom of the car. It was more than cosmetic because some fasteners were knocked off too. That could easily be hundreds of dollars but they did it for no additional cost.

Both of my fobs were severely scratched but fully functional but they went ahead and replaced them (fob's cosmetic is not covered under warranty). It's cheaper now, but at that time, it costed like $350 x 2 =$700 but at no extra cost for me!

They have been doing quite a few "Service Bulletins" that are not recalls and are not required to be fixed/replaced unless you bring your car in. They could be fasteners, seals, chrome trims or treats such as upgraded mats, upgraded bigger sunvisors...

On my second visit, they preemptively replaced my 12V battery with no additional cost. They said mine is not among the VINs indicated in a "Service Bulletin" but they said it'd better be safe than sorry and they didn't want me to get stranded on the road.

On my seventh's annual service last month at 87,500 miles, my car has been running fine but they pre-emptively replaced my drive unit even though I didn't realize that the floor-the-accelerator "jet" sound is louder than their standard.

In my case, it is worth my money because Tesla preemptively makes sure that my car won't break down in the middle of a road.
I'm not going to expect this level of service with the over 500,000 Model 3 that are on the way.