Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self-Maintenance Policy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets take a look at the maintenance required on an S and go down the list: Maintenance Plans

upload_2017-5-4_12-18-36.png

Year 1 and 3/12.5k and 37.5k miles:
  • Drive unit fluid - not sure what's involved here, probably would let tesla handle
  • key fob battery - easily done yourself
  • multi-point inspection - easily done yourself
  • tire rotation - easily done yourself
  • Wheel alignment check - can probably skip after only 12,500, i only get my alignment checked when I get new tires
  • wiper blades - easily done yourself if needed
Cost = $475, thats outrageous

Year 2/25k miles
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement - not sure what this is (never replaced on my 250k mile prius...)
  • brake fluid - can do yourself but requires some more skill, not needed every 25k IMO, I've done this three times on my 250k prius
  • cabin air filter - easily done yourself
  • repeat of some items from year 1
cost = $725, crazy expensive

Year 4/50k miles:
  • Battery Coolant replacement - not sure what's involved here, probably would let tesla handle
  • repeat of items from year 1 and 2
cost = $850, ripoff

Summary of stuff I'd have tesla/dealer do if it were my car:
  • Drive unit fluid
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement (maybe)
  • brake fluid (not nearly as often as the above reccomends)
  • Battery Coolant replacement (provided its not just a drain and fill)

I'd expect to pay ~$400 at an ICE/hybrid car dealership for this. I recently had my transmission fluid, hybrid batter inverter fluid, brake fluid all replaced on my prius for ~$100/fluid. If you spent all the money on the 4 year service plan you'd be paying $2,325-$2,525 (depending on if you got the 4 year plan or paid per service trip)

PS that website has the following FAQ

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty or Resale Value Guarantee?
It is highly recommended that you service your Tesla vehicle every 12 months or every 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details. If you are financing your Tesla vehicle through Tesla Financing, you will only be eligible for the full Resale Value Guarantee if your Tesla vehicle is brought in for service per the above recommended timeline.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the Multi-Point Inspection includes? I suspect it includes hooking the car up to a computer and getting information about engine and battery health. I don't know how you do that in your own driveway as I'm pretty sure Tesla isn't giving away their software.

Many things that such testing finds are covered by the warranty. If the failure happens after the warranty expires, what then?

To me, and I get it may just be to me, paying for these inspections protects you from those problems. It also gets the issues dealt with before you have a failure, not after.

As far as the price, I know I can't get work done on my minivan for less than $100 an hour not including material let alone something as high tech as a Tesla. It is not cheap, but it doesn't seem completely unreasonable if the work takes several hours to do.

Does anyone know what the Multi-Point Inspection includes? I suspect it includes hooking the car up to a computer and getting information about engine and battery health. I don't know how you do that in your own driveway as I'm pretty sure Tesla isn't giving away their software.

Many things that such testing finds are covered by the warranty. If the failure happens after the warranty expires, what then?

To me, and I get it may just be to me, paying for these inspections protects you from those problems. It also gets the issues dealt with before you have a failure, not after.

As far as the price, I know I can't get work done on my minivan for less than $100 an hour not including material let alone something as high tech as a Tesla. It is not cheap, but it doesn't seem completely unreasonable if the work takes several hours to do.

Here is an example of a Multi point inspection sheet, http://nlvdsc.net/store/images/P/7291 Multi Point Inspection.jpg. You're probably right in that Tesla has some software checks as well.

Regardless, I have never found a MPI to be useful. If something is wrong with your car you will be able to hear it or feel it when you drive. The times I've had them done on my prius (very few) they've never told me anything I didn't know already. My advice is this shouldn't cost more then 30 min of labor max and you don't need it done more than every 50k miles.

Labor is >$100/hr here in CT as well and fluid changes at dealerships never exceed $80-$100. If a location is taking several hours to do these things they have no idea what they are doing.

When I first got my prius when it came out everyone claimed it was way high tech too, don't bring that anywhere but a dealership b/c they won't even know how to drive it! In reality its a normal car and so is a Tesla, car maintenance isn't rocket science.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
When there are hundreds of thousands of Model 3's being pumped out there will surely be aftermarket suppliers chasing after our cash.

And believe me, there are a few aftermarket people on this Forum right now who are monitoring all these posts. If there is enough interest in any one item, they will build it (like some sort of integrated HUD, interior fitted sun screen or exterior wrap for an all glass roof, a plethora of rims in various sizes, and even an original duckbill fascia) This is what I really like about the TM3, it is a blank slate that can be customized anyway one likes! :cool: