Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
My wife would really like this but I can't see me spending 3K+ on it if this is the best it can do.

interesting comment on the video by someone:

"
Y Lu

Great video! Very surprised at how poorly the newer Tesla cars did. I work in the AI industry and have some familiarity with the technology at play here - so just to explain what's going on:

Ford, BMW and Volkswagen Group (inc. Audi) all use ADAS systems from Mobileye (an Israeli company, now owned by Intel), which is why the parking behaviour of those cars is almost identical. Tesla also used Mobileye's tech until 2017 when they decided to switch to their own systems. It's a huge surprise to me though that the Mobileye system in the 2016 Tesla is so much better than Tesla's own FSD. I suspect the reason is that parking assist is not a big focus for the Tesla Autopilot Engineering team as they are more focused on the FSD capabilities. Conversely Mobileye have taken a more slow and steady approach with their autonomous vehicle tech and have likely focused much more on the basics like self-parking and really perfected that.
"

What are others experiences in MY/M3 with the latest software ?

My 2018 Model 3 purchased with EAP/FSD would not ever park itself for the first three years or so I’ve owned it. Would not bring up the “P” icon at all, except twice while stopped in traffic two lanes from the curb. But never even once to parallel park. This was confirmed by service center personnel in a long test they performed. As expected, there was no answer and the solution would be in a forthcoming software update. Well finally, after 80 or so software updates, the car actually did find a perpendicular situation where the “P” icon appeared…and the car parked itself…and it did relatively well. The final positioning was accurate including space between two adjoining cars and the curb, and the parking was tail first, not head first. I was gobsmacked…and pleased...and frightened every inch of the way with hands and feet poised to take immediate control. The parking process was pretty slow, much slower than I park, but as it turned out it parked well and safely.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
My 2014 Prius did a better job of finding spaces but was slow to park. Once finished, the end result was always pretty good.
My Tesla struggles to see well defined spaces in an empty car park. When it does, the end result is good but it makes stupid indecisive manoeuvres to get there. I’d never trust it between other vehicles!