Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a joke "Yes the systems in newer cars is shittier. It's not a bug it's a feature. Nothing to see here"...
I took it to Morrisons as it’s tarmac and painted lines - couldn’t park there either… oh and doesn’t recognise disabled or parent and child spots 😂 (thought I would give it a maybe it thinks they are too close together)

I took it to Morrisons as it’s tarmac and painted lines - couldn’t park there either… oh and doesn’t recognise disabled or parent and child spots 😂 (thought I would give it a maybe it thinks they are too close together)

It's obviously just like a human ... doesn't recognise disabled spaces or parent and child spaces. I think if anyone has ever been a parent or has ever been a child they reckon they are entitled use those spaces.

Reactions: init6
It's obviously just like a human ... doesn't recognise disabled spaces or parent and child spaces. I think if anyone has ever been a parent or has ever been a child they reckon they are entitled use those spaces.
I have a toddler so I know the pain of not finding one (or finding it occupied by a Porsche without a carseat) but on the other hand, I don't see how it can be legally enforced as opposed to a blue badge space...

It's so rare for autopark to 'see' a spot that most of the time I forget it can.. and the rare occasions I try it invariably aborts halfway. I've given up on it.

Autopark should be a great addition - sometimes a spot is a bit hairy to get in or a bit tight.. the kind of thing a computer should be better at judging. However it's the opposite, not able to park in spots I can do myself easily and not even attempting the difficult ones.

It's so rare for autopark to 'see' a spot that most of the time I forget it can.. and the rare occasions I try it invariably aborts halfway. I've given up on it.

Autopark should be a great addition - sometimes a spot is a bit hairy to get in or a bit tight.. the kind of thing a computer should be better at judging. However it's the opposite, not able to park in spots I can do myself easily and not even attempting the difficult ones.
Cue for the “where is bird’s eye view?” available in almost any other 2022 car in this price range.

Speaking of my own experience I trialled EAP for 48 hours a couple of months ago on my 22 plate model Y and the autopark was awful. It rarely spotted spaces and when it did it was slow to patk but competent - most of the time. It was very frustrating trying to get it to detect well marked spaces.

My garage is about 1.5 the car width so plenty of space all around. I could not get summon or smart summon to work properly to get the car in or out.

Autopark would not park in my garage. It hardly ever saw the space and if it did, it abandoned half way into it. I even maked out a space with white lines but it still couldn't manage it.

I really liked the navigate on auto pilot. Not having to cancel and reset auto pilot on lane change was fantastic, but it should be part of normal auto pilot and 3.4k is a lot to pay for that one feature. If I spent my life on the m way though, I would pay it.

Reactions: Ozboz7
Disclaimer - I didn’t watch the video. Too long!

But my experience in my 6 week old Model y Is pretty good. I’ve done 3k miles on it so far.

The auto park is pretty good. I don’t have to trigger it. About half the time I stop it flags up that it can auto park when I put it in reverse. I guess the other times I’ve been driving too quickly for it to be looking for spaces, but I haven’t actually given it that much thought.

I use it every time it offers and it’s fine. Biggest issue is that it parks a foot from the kerb. But it’s pretty easy to take it a bit closer myself afterwards. I figure it’s less likely to kerb the wheels than me!
A foot might be ok in surburbia but in my London streets I aim to be about 4 inches from the kerb as the car is pretty wide as it is.

My previous car was 14 years old so I’m loving the parking cameras / lines and parking sensors that work. The only “sensor” on the old car that was working was the bumper!!

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
My wife would really like this but I can't see me spending 3K+ on it if this is the best it can do.

interesting comment on the video by someone:

"
Y Lu

Great video! Very surprised at how poorly the newer Tesla cars did. I work in the AI industry and have some familiarity with the technology at play here - so just to explain what's going on:

Ford, BMW and Volkswagen Group (inc. Audi) all use ADAS systems from Mobileye (an Israeli company, now owned by Intel), which is why the parking behaviour of those cars is almost identical. Tesla also used Mobileye's tech until 2017 when they decided to switch to their own systems. It's a huge surprise to me though that the Mobileye system in the 2016 Tesla is so much better than Tesla's own FSD. I suspect the reason is that parking assist is not a big focus for the Tesla Autopilot Engineering team as they are more focused on the FSD capabilities. Conversely Mobileye have taken a more slow and steady approach with their autonomous vehicle tech and have likely focused much more on the basics like self-parking and really perfected that.
"

What are others experiences in MY/M3 with the latest software ?
I have a 2018 M3 with FSD Beta and the original EAP before turning on FSD. I can only comment on the back-in parking. It does OK -if- it can actually identify a spot, but often does not. It's a party trick, like the rest of the EAP features, except auto lane change.

Reactions: _Redshift_
I have a 2018 M3 with FSD Beta and the original EAP before turning on FSD. I can only comment on the back-in parking. It does OK -if- it can actually identify a spot, but often does not. It's a party trick, like the rest of the EAP features, except auto lane change.
Regarding that - I was away for a while, I love how you have to indicate and then move the wheel for lane change to work… almost as quick as not having it

Regarding that - I was away for a while, I love how you have to indicate and then move the wheel for lane change to work… almost as quick as not having it
I’ve found the lane changes work by just keeping your hand on the wheel with the same amount of force you need to stop the car from nagging you. Not had to deliberately tug at the wheel to get it to work

Reactions: Mrklaw
I’ve found the lane changes work by just keeping your hand on the wheel with the same amount of force you need to stop the car from nagging you. Not had to deliberately tug at the wheel to get it to work
That’s how I used to remember it, I think since last upgrade maybe the one before it changed, it now says apply slight turn, then it starts? Will be on motor way tonight will ask Mrs to photo it…

Speaking of my own experience I trialled EAP for 48 hours a couple of months ago on my 22 plate model Y and the autopark was awful. It rarely spotted spaces and when it did it was slow to patk but competent - most of the time. It was very frustrating trying to get it to detect well marked spaces.

My garage is about 1.5 the car width so plenty of space all around. I could not get summon or smart summon to work properly to get the car in or out.

Autopark would not park in my garage. It hardly ever saw the space and if it did, it abandoned half way into it. I even maked out a space with white lines but it still couldn't manage it.

I really liked the navigate on auto pilot. Not having to cancel and reset auto pilot on lane change was fantastic, but it should be part of normal auto pilot and 3.4k is a lot to pay for that one feature. If I spent my life on the m way though, I would pay it.

I believe the Tesla system does not look for parking spaces as such, it looks for a parking space sized gap between 2 cars, and then tries to park between them. If the space or gap between the 2 sides is too wide then I guess it doesn’t think it’s a parking space. It might have changed, I’ve not tried to use it for pribabky 5 years, but that was the reason talked about back then.

Do we have to? He's one of the worst for doing these type of tests

Does he say whether the 2019 cars are HW2.5 or HW3? (thats a rhetorical question) I doubt he even knows how to tell.

Does he make the point that AP1 is Mobileye eyeQ3 and the BMW system will be eyeQ4 or even eyeQ5? Does he know the technology stacks behind the cars to make meaningful comparisons on the implementation? (Another rhetorical question).
I don’t this that really matters. Most customers are going and don’t know about these things. They will see autopark and get confused when it does or doesn’t work.

The point is Tesla clearly fails here, this test wasn’t a comparison and between Mobileye systems vs Tesla it was here are some cars what is autopark like. Who wants to be held up by someone trying to autopark in a Tesla?

I’d be interested in know how it does in LHD countries. There are more LHD countries that’s RHD and more miles driven.

My old Toyota C-HR just used the ultrasound sensors and it worked great for both parallel and backing in, in the most tight spaces that I wouldn't have tried parking in. So I don't understand why Tesla can't do the same??
Many of us can’t understand why Tesla can’t/won’t do or fix a lot of seemingly simple things, like wipers that satisfactorily sense the degree of rain and auto head light dip that works as expected or cruise control speed limiter and set / resume function ???
Instead, we have to put up with functions that don’t (function) … it’s the Tesla way sadly

Many of us can’t understand why Tesla can’t/won’t do or fix a lot of seemingly simple things, like wipers that satisfactorily sense the degree of rain and auto head light dip that works as expected or cruise control speed limiter and set / resume function ???
Instead, we have to put up with functions that don’t (function) … it’s the Tesla way sadly
I think they've tried in some areas - google "Deep rain" which was the big solution to wipers and made no difference.

My old Toyota C-HR just used the ultrasound sensors and it worked great for both parallel and backing in, in the most tight spaces that I wouldn't have tried parking in. So I don't understand why Tesla can't do the same??
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it would also un-park the car as well!

Imagine if Tesla could fix the wipers, the headlights, the sat nav routing, the phantom braking, proper blind spot monitoring, the speed sign & control, what a great car it would be!

Reactions: SalisburySam