Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh? Go watch the video again. Guess which of the Teslas was the best (least worst).
Do we have to? He's one of the worst for doing these type of tests

Does he say whether the 2019 cars are HW2.5 or HW3? (thats a rhetorical question) I doubt he even knows how to tell.

Does he make the point that AP1 is Mobileye eyeQ3 and the BMW system will be eyeQ4 or even eyeQ5? Does he know the technology stacks behind the cars to make meaningful comparisons on the implementation? (Another rhetorical question).

Do we have to? He's one of the worst for doing these type of tests

Does he say whether the 2019 cars are HW2.5 or HW3? (thats a rhetorical question) I doubt he even knows how to tell.

Does he make the point that AP1 is Mobileye eyeQ3 and the BMW system will be eyeQ4 or even eyeQ5? Does he know the technology stacks behind the cars to make meaningful comparisons on the implementation? (Another rhetorical question).
All UK M3 are HW3

Reactions: Ozboz7 and Adopado
My Audi A7 has it, compeltely pointless, used it once in 2 years, did a slow piss poor job, and kerbs it struggles with, so im not chancing my 21" alloys on a mis calculation between tarmac and kerbs

my guess is it parks between the two other cars. I doubt it has sensors that can see the kerb so you’re relying on the other cars not being parked too close to the kerb as it’ll use those as reference?

No idea what the tesla was doing - the steering angle and triggering the hard turn in reverse for initial approach should be almost impossible to get wrong? Trigger based on the camera/ultrasonic being x distance past the back of the car you’re approaching alongside. Then transfer over to the car you’re backing into etc etc.

The HW1 did it almost identically to the other three makes which all use mobileye, so my only impression is Tesla just don’t have enough people working on this to write proper code.

And I did it mmmmmmyyyyyyyyyy way

PXL_20220725_092219866.jpg

The fact it couldn't even see the space in the workshop (doubling as a multi-storey) was disappointing. I guess it's because it relies on lines, but even so - the other manufacturers did a great job of it.

Auto parking might not be an interesting domain to Tesla, but it's something that customers might reasonably want to use on a daily basis, perhaps more than Autopilot. When it works that shockingly, compared to other cars they've previously had, it feels to me like it speaks volumes about Tesla's autonomous aspirations as a whole. Stuff like that looks bad to other people, particularly when shown in reviews like this.

It also goes a way to demonstrating how poor this "beta" technology is, compared to other marques.

What's more concerning to me is, if they can't even get self-parking right, how confident are we in their ability to deliver "true" autopilot/FSD. Not even by Elon's "end of year" promises, but ever...
After all they built their brand image on the very thing... It' s definitely deceptive

Reactions: Durzel
There’s a distinction between hardware 2.0 and 2.1/2.5, in terms of the sensors and filters on the car. However, for FSD to work AP3 (custom chippery neural nets) is required. AP2 is the predecessor from Tesla. AP1 from Mobileye. All but AP1 is awful at auto-park under nearly all circumstances. I particularly like how mine prompts to perpendicular park while I’m 75% through doing so manually, and rarely at any other time.

• Funny
Reactions: positiv and Durzel
What's more concerning to me is, if they can't even get self-parking right, how confident are we in their ability to deliver "true" autopilot/FSD. Not even by Elon's "end of year" promises, but ever...
After all they built their brand image on the very thing... It' s definitely deceptive
So to be clear. THIS was the moment you started to have doubts about FSD?
I hope you havent factored your anticipated robotaxi earnings into your purchase calcultions 😂🤣😂

So to be clear. THIS was the moment you started to have doubts about FSD?
I hope you havent factored your anticipated robotaxi earnings into your purchase calcultions 😂🤣😂
Of course I did. 😀
But thinking of postponing my collection now because I've heard Q4 customers won't need to go to Southampton to collect. The car will drive itself to their respective driveways. Or so Elon said...

Reactions: Jason71
It can't park, the wipers go at random speeds and can come on when its dry, the headlights switch off at road sign reflections and come on when facing oncoming cars, it does emergency stops when encountering particularly ominous shadows, but at least we can make fart noises and talk like Darth Vader out of an external speaker, so it's not all bad news.

My Model Y refuses to auto park in anything - test drove a 2019 3 and I think 2017 X that were ok but not great… I thought maybe it was a issue with my car I booked an appointment and eventually got the following ….

DD6B3C49-3B6D-463C-BED2-507BD19FAC9B.jpeg
96659F4C-B854-4CA0-A314-BC98DA40E7CF.jpeg

My Model Y refuses to auto park in anything - test drove a 2019 3 and I think 2017 X that were ok but not great… I thought maybe it was a issue with my car I booked an appointment and eventually got the following ….

View attachment 842730
View attachment 842732
What a joke "Yes the system in newer cars is shittier. It's not a bug it's a feature. Nothing to see here"...

Last edited: