Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Self Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen a valid parking space be offered since before 28.x so haven't been able to try it recently but the last time I did it kept hitting the brakes constantly, got nearly to the spot and gave up. Only reason I tried that one was because my wife had clearly seen something on youtube and asked why I never used it..

Reactions: Pandinium
Radar to come back, but not to Teslas. The new radar is for the robot to aid its navigation around your home. After 3 years there will be a software update to TeslaVision disabling the radar and using only the robots cameras (eyes). It’s called progress.;)
Not sure how much of this is in jest, but the engineering drawings for the new radar in the front of the MS have been seen. It's a bigger unit than the last one so retrofit will be interesting for all those with FSD and the promise of upgrades if needed.

Not sure how much of this is in jest, but the engineering drawings for the new radar in the front of the MS have been seen. It's a bigger unit than the last one so retrofit will be interesting for all those with FSD and the promise of upgrades if needed.
Already been spotted :)
maxresdefault.jpg

radar won't be used for parking, it's used to detect distant objects. Having said that I believe it may have been intel that were demonstrating quite an interesting use for radar, they had ground penetrating radar in some of their self driving cars that would map out the roads as they drove along and therefor knew what the lanes looked like inside. This meant that even if the cameras were blinded by rain/sun/dirt or if the road was covered in snow, it could still tell exactly where the centre of the lane was.

radar won't be used for parking, it's used to detect distant objects. Having said that I believe it may have been intel that were demonstrating quite an interesting use for radar, they had ground penetrating radar in some of their self driving cars that would map out the roads as they drove along and therefor knew what the lanes looked like inside. This meant that even if the cameras were blinded by rain/sun/dirt or if the road was covered in snow, it could still tell exactly where the centre of the lane was.
Another bonus: vehicles with ground-penetrating radar will also be able to be used for identifying bodies buried under the pavement surface. Can’t wait to see the marketing-speak to advertise that feature. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa will finally be found?

Vision only autopark is, in the grand scheme of things a very recent innovation for Tesla. Previously it only used the ultrsonics. IMHO, vision is an improvement in that it now does sometimes allow you to park in a lined space - previously it would only park between two other cars, or park up some steps with walled sides...
Not my experience. My 2018 Model 3 has radar and on 2022.20.8 still uses it and the ultrasonics. After some update in 2021, AutoPark actually began to work for me using parking lot lines for perpendicular parking, and it does so today. Parallel very infrequently works, rare enough that I don’t bother and just park the car myself. But the perpendicular has shown itself to be pretty solid, with or without adjoining vehicles. Nice.

Having tried it over the weekend, I believe it still requires a car in front for parallel parking unfortunately.
Isn't that the definition of parallel parking? Every driver's test has you parallel park behind another car...
Line up the rear ends, pull back about a foot, turn the wheel all the way right, when your steering wheel lines up with the rear end of the other car start cutting in...;)

Isn't that the definition of parallel parking? Every driver's test has you parallel park behind another car...
Line up the rear ends, pull back about a foot, turn the wheel all the way right, when your steering wheel lines up with the rear end of the other car start cutting in...;)
Surely ‘turning the wheel all the way right’ is not how the majority of parallel parks are performed in the UK, driving on and approaching spaces on the left? 😜
Or is right reversed if we are going backwards?? 😂

• Funny
Reactions: init6
I just knew someone from the UK would chime in...!
I almost made a disclaimer, but thought, nah, they'll know what I mean from where I live...

BTW, I made my first perpendicular park tonight at a Trader Joe's parking lot. Perfect!
But it was all on it's own, not between 2 cars...