Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Selling CPO Cars on Autotrader.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Member spectrablue pointed out last week that Tesla had started listing cars on third-party sites like Autotrader.com.

Tesla previously only sold those cars on Tesla.com and a network of company-owned stores. The company’s “certified pre-owned” program has helped them control the market and keep resale prices above the industry average.

There are now a significant enough number of Teslas on the roads that a cycle of vehicles coming off leases creates a sizable swell of used inventory. You can also add Tesla’s growing loaner fleet to that expanding used inventory. And, with that in mind it’s clear Tesla will be building a more robust used car strategy.

It’s seems this is the first time Tesla has marketed used cars on a third-party site. A request for comment from Tesla the day after spectrablue’s post has not been returned.

TMC Member HankLloydRight, who runs a site that consolidates Tesla new and used inventory car listings in one place, said he has not previously seen Tesla offering its own inventory on Autotrader.com.

Autotrader currently has Tesla cars listed in California, Massachusetts, and Virginia, among other locations.

Tesla has been proud to tout that it does little promotion for its cars, prompting a headline earlier this month from AdAge reading “Tesla Still Doesn’t Need Paid Advertising to Make Sales.”

But, when in comes to used vehicles, it seems Tesla is willing to peel off some marketing budget for classifieds. Maybe we’ll see Tesla inventory hit Craigslist next.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those that is getting an AutoTrader CPO Tesla (2013 60). I had an existing CPO reservation (also a 2013 60, but a little older) still outstanding (4+ weeks) and saw the post here regarding AT. Figured that I would give it a shot... and, after some initial confusion, am taking delivery on Friday afternoon.

I was able to get the deposit transferred over and, while this one will not have Active Air as my previous reservation did, it will have the roof and Sound Studio... as well as dual chargers for $ 1,600 less.

I'll give them some time to get up to speed, but the listings are seriously lacking in detail.
For example the 2013 Model S listed at the Buena Park location shows a stock photo, lists the interior color as Piano Black Décor, and provides no additional description of any kind.
I desire pictures of the actual car, a printout of the original configuration/build sheet, and a detailed description including warranty details.

Also, the 2014 P85D located here: Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Tesla Model S AWD Performance for sale in BUENA PARK, CA 90621: Hatchback Details - 463904460 - Autotrader actually has excellent pictures that represent the car having the Ludicrous option where Tesla's listing for the same car mentions nothing of it: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H28EFP62518 | Tesla

I look forward to them getting this all sorted out.
I have 2 friends that have purchased CPO cars from Tesla and they have been delivered in essentially as-new condition. Exciting stuff!

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Snap3a.jpg
    Snap3a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Engnr
I'll give them some time to get up to speed, but the listings are seriously lacking in detail.
For example the 2013 Model S listed at the Buena Park location shows a stock photo, lists the interior color as Piano Black Décor, and provides no additional description of any kind.
I desire pictures of the actual car, a printout of the original configuration/build sheet, and a detailed description including warranty details.

Also, the 2014 P85D located here: Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Tesla Model S AWD Performance for sale in BUENA PARK, CA 90621: Hatchback Details - 463904460 - Autotrader actually has excellent pictures that represent the car having the Ludicrous option where Tesla's listing for the same car mentions nothing of it: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H23EFP63494 | Tesla Also, the AutoTrader listing represents the car being in Buena Park, CA while Tesla represents the car being located in Washington DC.

I look forward to them getting this all sorted out.
I have 2 friends that have purchased CPO cars from Tesla and they have been delivered in essentially as-new condition. Exciting stuff!

From a previous thread, it seems like the Tesla site lists the car as it was originally built. Options added after delivery such as the Ludicrous upgrade do not get updated in the system.

From a previous thread, it seems like the Tesla site lists the car as it was originally built. Options added after delivery such as the Ludicrous upgrade do not get updated in the system.

I believe there have been several cases reported of Tesla actually removing the Ludicrous update when selling the CPO, due to warranty and pack wear issues caused by it. I think at least one past owner on TMC asked Tesla directly about it when he saw his old car being sold without Ludicrous and they admitted they disabled it.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo