Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Selling the Tow Hitch at the shop

arctec1

Aug 9, 2017
The District
Yeah, its really weird that the 19" gets the same rate as the 21" but I'm ok with it since I only have the 19".
Good find. I have been waiting for this. Disappointing about the tow rating for 20" rims. I'm now second guessing get the option now until I can find a clear reason why. Also disappointed the price is $200 more than when ordered with the Y as this option was not available when I ordered and took delivery.

johnson184

May 6, 2020
Oklahoma
Wow... why does the 20" tow so much less? I changed my Model Y Performance order from the PUP to the "stealth" version with the 20" wheels to maximize fuel efficiency and reduce the chance of a pothole cracking a rim. But I'm also planning on being able to tow a trailer of motorcycles and 4 wheelers or a boat.

Larryfl1

Mar 7, 2020
Florida
I ordered the aftermarket, its on its way to me... now I’m thinking of cancelling/sending it back and go with factory due to the software that is part of the factory option...

Currently dont own anything to trailer other then a bike rack..but maybe in the future...

Reactions: sherlockw

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Good find. I have been waiting for this. Disappointing about the tow rating for 20" rims. I'm now second guessing get the option now until I can find a clear reason why.

It has to be because of the load rating on the wheels and/or tires.

Valore

Apr 26, 2018
Florence, Italy
Any change Tesla will be offering those electrically retractable tow bars in the future?

I love these on my BMW, as you don't need to mess with plastic covers and manually inserting the tow bar like in the old days. Very convenient when moving sailing boat trailers.

Here's video of what I mean:

rxlawdude

Jul 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Question about the "4-pin pigtail connector":
Trailer Brakes
When towing a loaded trailer that weighs more than 1650 lbs (750 kg), Tesla recommends that the trailer be equipped with its own brake system adequate for the weight of the trailer. Ensure compliance with local regulations. A brake controller must be purchased separately. Follow these steps to connect a brake controller:
1. Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pin pigtail connector included with your vehicle.

Does anyone know where this pigtail connector is located? I briefly pulled the cover off, and of course there's the lighting connector, but this pigtail?

(Not that I'm ever going to tow a >1650 lb trailer, but still curious about this mysterious pigtail.)

aix93

Feb 26, 2017
California
To answer ThomasD question. The Model X 2” hitch is capable of towing a camper trailer with a weight up to 5,000 lbs and a tongue weight not to exceed 500 lbs (with the stock 20” tires, less with the optional 22”).

ACAG

Aug 14, 2019
New york
Trailer Brakes
When towing a loaded trailer that weighs more than 1650 lbs (750 kg), Tesla recommends that the trailer be equipped with its own brake system adequate for the weight of the trailer. Ensure compliance with local regulations. A brake controller must be purchased separately. Follow these steps to connect a brake controller:
1. Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pin pigtail connector included with your vehicle.

Does anyone know where this pigtail connector is located? I briefly pulled the cover off, and of course there's the lighting connector, but this pigtail?

(Not that I'm ever going to tow a >1650 lb trailer, but still curious about this mysterious pigtail.)
Trailer Brakes

See page 74-75 in the owners manual

Attachments

• MODEL Y 1.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 23
  • MODEL Y.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude

ACAG

Aug 14, 2019
New york
If I will only being using the tow hitch for a bicycle carrier, is there any reason to purchase my MY with a tow hitch or just install the aftermarket one for 1/3 the price?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC