Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Selling the Tow Hitch at the shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, its really weird that the 19" gets the same rate as the 21" but I'm ok with it since I only have the 19".
Good find. I have been waiting for this. Disappointing about the tow rating for 20" rims. I'm now second guessing get the option now until I can find a clear reason why. Also disappointed the price is $200 more than when ordered with the Y as this option was not available when I ordered and took delivery.

Wow... why does the 20" tow so much less? I changed my Model Y Performance order from the PUP to the "stealth" version with the 20" wheels to maximize fuel efficiency and reduce the chance of a pothole cracking a rim. But I'm also planning on being able to tow a trailer of motorcycles and 4 wheelers or a boat.

I ordered the aftermarket, its on its way to me... now I’m thinking of cancelling/sending it back and go with factory due to the software that is part of the factory option...

Currently dont own anything to trailer other then a bike rack..but maybe in the future...

Reactions: sherlockw
Any change Tesla will be offering those electrically retractable tow bars in the future?

I love these on my BMW, as you don't need to mess with plastic covers and manually inserting the tow bar like in the old days. Very convenient when moving sailing boat trailers.

Here's video of what I mean:

Question about the "4-pin pigtail connector":
Trailer Brakes
When towing a loaded trailer that weighs more than 1650 lbs (750 kg), Tesla recommends that the trailer be equipped with its own brake system adequate for the weight of the trailer. Ensure compliance with local regulations. A brake controller must be purchased separately. Follow these steps to connect a brake controller:
1. Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pin pigtail connector included with your vehicle.

Does anyone know where this pigtail connector is located? I briefly pulled the cover off, and of course there's the lighting connector, but this pigtail?

(Not that I'm ever going to tow a >1650 lb trailer, but still curious about this mysterious pigtail.)

Trailer Brakes
When towing a loaded trailer that weighs more than 1650 lbs (750 kg), Tesla recommends that the trailer be equipped with its own brake system adequate for the weight of the trailer. Ensure compliance with local regulations. A brake controller must be purchased separately. Follow these steps to connect a brake controller:
1. Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pin pigtail connector included with your vehicle.

Does anyone know where this pigtail connector is located? I briefly pulled the cover off, and of course there's the lighting connector, but this pigtail?

(Not that I'm ever going to tow a >1650 lb trailer, but still curious about this mysterious pigtail.)
Trailer Brakes

See page 74-75 in the owners manual

Attachments

• MODEL Y 1.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 55
  • MODEL Y.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude