Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Selling the Tow Hitch at the shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my tow package several weeks back and got it installed today with mobile service...took a little over an hour for the install. First appt scheduled was for 6-19, delayed ~3 times waiting for parts.

I'm picking a Y up on Friday and was wanting to add the hitch (they said it has to be done after the fact by the Service Center). How did you get the mobile service to do the install and was it still $1200?? I'm in Ft Myers FL and the nearest service center is in Sarasota about 100 miles away. thx much

Curious about mobile service as well. I ordered 2 weeks ago. Emailed them today since I hadn't heard anything since. The order team said my delivery center already has the part. So I called my delivery center. They had no idea I was getting a hitch installed, but they check and they have the part. They said I had to schedule an appointment AND I would have to leave the car there rather than wait for it....

I'm picking a Y up on Friday and was wanting to add the hitch (they said it has to be done after the fact by the Service Center). How did you get the mobile service to do the install and was it still $1200?? I'm in Ft Myers FL and the nearest service center is in Sarasota about 100 miles away. thx much
Yes, it was $1200. I submitted the service request via the app. Mine was missing hub-caps upon delivery, so just made the request as other items for tow hitch and the caps. They responded that parts would have to be ordered, and as I mentioned, the install was delayed ~3 times waiting on parts. Tesla sent 2 email updates weekly indicating which parts they were still waiting on, and delaying the service as needed...all pretty good, imo. Last update on 7/11 still showed 1 part still needed, but mobile service showed up this morning per the appt.
If it doesn't push you to mobile install, contact them and request it. I had the homelink installed right after getting the Y, which if I remember, initially was taken as a service center install, then converted to mobile service (really the only way, since to get it working, they have to link it to your opener). For the hitch, it allowed mobile service appt to be made, iirc.
All in all, I'm happy with the timeline and service. I wish the tow hitch had been available when I ordered the Y, but I'm not going to worry about it.

Curious about mobile service as well. I ordered 2 weeks ago. Emailed them today since I hadn't heard anything since. The order team said my delivery center already has the part. So I called my delivery center. They had no idea I was getting a hitch installed, but they check and they have the part. They said I had to schedule an appointment AND I would have to leave the car there rather than wait for it....
Schedule the appt and see what happens. I was surprised it was done as mobile, but after watching them do the work, it's not that difficult, but I suppose, depends on mobile service availability in your area.

As I mentioned, it took a little over an hour to install and complete the work, so "waiting" could be due to COVID-19 precautions at the SC.

Yes, it was $1200. I submitted the service request via the app. Mine was missing hub-caps upon delivery, so just made the request as other items for tow hitch and the caps. They responded that parts would have to be ordered, and as I mentioned, the install was delayed ~3 times waiting on parts. Tesla sent 2 email updates weekly indicating which parts they were still waiting on, and delaying the service as needed...all pretty good, imo. Last update on 7/11 still showed 1 part still needed, but mobile service showed up this morning per the appt.
If it doesn't push you to mobile install, contact them and request it. I had the homelink installed right after getting the Y, which if I remember, initially was taken as a service center install, then converted to mobile service (really the only way, since to get it working, they have to link it to your opener). For the hitch, it allowed mobile service appt to be made, iirc.
All in all, I'm happy with the timeline and service. I wish the tow hitch had been available when I ordered the Y, but I'm not going to worry about it.

Thx much for the info, next dumb question....I've downloaded the app but it only has a page with my name welcoming me to Tesla..no other pages available..Is this something they turn on after the car is delivered?