Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi 11/10 - return from Crash testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!
I believe I took photos of a covered Tesla Semi Eastbound on Nov 10 on Interstate 80 in Citrus Heights by the truck weigh station at around 3pm. If you look, you can see a very clean back wall to the semi, the silhouette looks about right, there's no exhaust pipes or other burny parts, there are crash test stickers on it, and the wheels are beat to pieces. Prove me wrong, internet.

IMG20221110150037.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20221110145947.jpg
    IMG20221110145947.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG20221110150000.jpg
    IMG20221110150000.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG20221110150031.jpg
    IMG20221110150031.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Informative
Reactions: Olle and Watts_Up
Hey everyone!
I believe I took photos of a covered Tesla Semi Eastbound on Nov 10 on Interstate 80 in Citrus Heights by the truck weigh station at around 3pm. If you look, you can see a very clean back wall to the semi, the silhouette looks about right, there's no exhaust pipes or other burny parts, there are crash test stickers on it, and the wheels are beat to pieces. Prove me wrong, internet.

View attachment 875189
Good eye! If it is, it might be the first close up we've seen of the new three motor set up. Take a look at this picture of the original four motor set up and remove the rearmost motor/gearbox in your minds eye. Then look at your pic again. Looks spot on with the flat bottom of the axle and the location of the air springs:
1668707510269.png

Last edited:
That’s not a conventional semi rear end in the photo, the air bags are Heavily overinflated So the air system remained intact and allowed them to inflate as it was put on the truck under its own power or there was a load on the rear of the truck when power was lost.

/
That’s not a conventional semi rear end in the photo, the air bags are Heavily overinflated So the air system remained intact and allowed them to inflate as it was put on the truck under its own power or there was a load on the rear of the truck when power was lost.
At a minimum, I noted a lack of an exhaust system, fuel tank "saddlebags", and it was missing the usual accoutrement such as cabling for trailer lights, chain for securing load, and so on. I don't follow on the airbags, I see the silver as more of a tarp caught in the wind.

Thanks @Olle for understanding with greater confidence what I was looking at. The confirmation makes me feel really good about spotting it, and I learned more about the Semi developments from your post. I'm glad I could add to the community awareness. Right place, right time!

Reactions: Olle
/

At a minimum, I noted a lack of an exhaust system, fuel tank "saddlebags", and it was missing the usual accoutrement such as cabling for trailer lights, chain for securing load, and so on. I don't follow on the airbags, I see the silver as more of a tarp caught in the wind.

Thanks @Olle for understanding with greater confidence what I was looking at. The confirmation makes me feel really good about spotting it, and I learned more about the Semi developments from your post. I'm glad I could add to the community awareness. Right place, right time!
Wow can’t believe I agree with someone and offend the same person at the same time, it may take a bit of a history lesson but the “airbags” are part of the suspension system on most heavy duty truck. My observations were pointing out the system and the current state of the system secondary to a “crash test”. You may have put yourself in defensive mode with the “prove me wrong” detail in your post.

Wow can’t believe I agree with someone and offend the same person at the same time, it may take a bit of a history lesson but the “airbags” are part of the suspension system on most heavy duty truck. My observations were pointing out the system and the current state of the system secondary to a “crash test”. You may have put yourself in defensive mode with the “prove me wrong” detail in your post.
I wasn't offended, and I don't know how you got to thinking I was. I didn't know that it had a second meaning and I did think that there was crash testing involved so naturally the passenger airbags would have fired off. Go easy on me, OK? I don't follow the Tesla Semi very much and it's not my specialty. It' is a simple lack of knowledge on my part. I'm glad I could share the photos with everyone. I don't think I've posted here in six years.

I wasn't offended, and I don't know how you got to thinking I was. I didn't know that it had a second meaning and I did think that there was crash testing involved so naturally the passenger airbags would have fired off. Go easy on me, OK? I don't follow the Tesla Semi very much and it's not my specialty. It' is a simple lack of knowledge on my part. I'm glad I could share the photos with everyone. I don't think I've posted here in six years.
I absolutely appreciate your sharing the photos takes people like you with a keen eye to provide “insider” photos that people like me can’t get because I don’t live in an are where the vehicle may be active. That’s what’s great about forums a collective group of people with similar interests sharing information like this to educate others.
Once again Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and I agree 100% you found a Tesla Semi great work