Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi charging at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This from Electrek -Tesla confirms its Supercharger is way more powerful than previously thought
Tesla has successfully operated the North American Charging Standard above 900A continuously with a non-liquid cooled vehicle inlet.
900A at 1,000v would point to 900 kW of total output or more than 3 times the current stated capacity of Tesla’s most recent Supercharger stations.

This would back up Tesla’s statement in the blog post announcing its charging standard now named the ‘North American Charging Standard (NACS)’ that it is “twice as powerful” as CCS:

With more than a decade of use and 20 billion EV charging miles to its name, the Tesla charging connector is the most proven in North America, offering AC charging and up to 1 MW DC charging in one slim package. It has no moving parts, is half the size, and twice as powerful as Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors.

So it would be possible to charge the Tesla Semi at a Supercharger station IF Tesla provides an adapter. It may take a bit longer but it's still possible @ 1 MW DC.

The v1 and v2 chargers (supercharger cabinets) cannot deliver 1mw regardless of the capability of the charging handle. Interesting for v3 - in theory have 1mw of power split among 4 plugs. (I think they are not in reality powered to deliver 250kwh simultaneously to 4 cars as that is not a realistic situation. ). Also, they are 480 volts , not 1000v

The v1 and v2 chargers (supercharger cabinets) cannot deliver 1mw regardless of the capability of the charging handle. Interesting for v3 - in theory have 1mw of power split among 4 plugs. (I think they are not in reality powered to deliver 250kwh simultaneously to 4 cars as that is not a realistic situation. ). Also, they are 480 volts , not 1000v

"900A at 1,000v would point to 900 kW of total output or more than 3 times the current stated capacity of Tesla’s most recent Supercharger stations."

So it would be possible to charge the Tesla Semi at a Supercharger station IF Tesla provides an adapter. It may take a bit longer but it's still possible @ 1 MW DC.
I would assume it would be possible. I doubt an adapter would be needed. My understanding is that the MCS standard is for DC charging only, so if the Semi is going to have the ability to charge via AC, which I assume it will, it will probably come with a NACS port. At which point it could likely use any Tesla Destination or Supercharger. (Though nothing currently deployed is anywhere near capable of a 900kW charge rate.)

Note: And the Electrek article headline is false. Tesla did not claim their Supercharger was way more powerful than people thought. They just stated that the NACS charge port and plug were way more capable than people thought. So a Supercharger could be made way more powerful, but that isn't necessarily the case, or going to happen. (They probably did the testing as part of their work on the MCS standard.)

edit: The charge port location will likely be a problem for Supercharging. To me it would make the most since to put the NACS port on the front passenger side. (Since I don't think the rear driver's side toward the back of the frame would be a good location, but maybe it would be.) The MCS standard specifies the port location, which wouldn't work for NACS Supercharging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and TSemi
I was only referring to Supercharger and Destination charger locations. I don't expect the capabilities of them to change come December 1st. Though I am sure that Tesla will announce something about Megacharger locations.
Gotcha! "I don't expect the capabilities of them to change come December 1st."

"With the opening of its proprietary charge connector, Tesla has confirmed its Supercharger is way more powerful than we previously thought.

It points to up to 900 kW of potential total output."

Key word here is potential. Meaning the upgrade wouldn't be that big of a deal. And they are planning for it!