Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi & Convoy Mode are a perfect fit for EU Commission’s updated mobility strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Semi and its Convoy Mode feature could gain a strong foothold in Europe now that the EU Commission has released its plans to promote sustainable and smart transportation options in the region. The EU Commission released its Sustainable and Smart Mobility strategy last week.

The strategy focused on three key factors, namely sustainability, smart mobility, and resilience. It included goals for the passenger car industry, but also prominently discussed making public transportation and heavy-duty vehicles carbon neutral.

ZERO-EMISSION LORRIES AND THE TESLA SEMI
The EU Commission plans to have at least 30 million zero-emission cars and 80,000 carbon neutral lorries, or heavy duty trucks like the Tesla Semi, in operation by 2030. It will propose a revision in CO2 standards for cars and vans in Europe by June 2021 and review carbon standards for heavy-duty vehicles by 2022.

The EU Commission’s plans for zero-emission lorries puts the Tesla Semi in an advantageous position. Besides being carbon neutral, the Tesla Semi also aligns with the EU Parliament’s truck manufacturing law.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 9.47.42 AM.png

See rest of story here Tesla Semi & Convoy Mode are a perfect fit for EU Commission’s updated mobility strategy

Convoy mode has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I have a very very hard time envisioning a safety system that permits a wall of trucks to drive down the highway. This could cause serious incidents when exiting, entering, or passing. Unless I've misunderstood I see no safety gains at all from this mode. Autonomous vehicles will in fact need to be restricted from acting like this. If you've never dealt with semi's moving in a convoy (horrible as a driver) than you'll maybe think ..hey cool. The reality is anything but cool.