Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi delivery event, 1 December 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From electrek

Tesla Semi production hero

Tesla confirmed that it is going to hold an event on December 1 for the first Tesla Semi deliveries. More details about the production version of the electric truck could be released.

While Tesla used to hold regular unveiling events for new products and production vehicle programs, the automaker moved away from them since the pandemic and instead held Battery Day and AI Day events annually.

CEO Elon Musk said that Tesla wouldn’t unveil new vehicles for a while as it focuses on ramping up production of its existing vehicle programs.

But now we learn that Tesla will hold a rare event for the start of deliveries and unveiling of a new production-version vehicle: Tesla Semi.

While the automaker hasn’t officially announced the event, Martin Viecha, Tesla’s head of investor relations, confirmed it by announcing that Tesla will hold a random drawing for retail shareholders to join:

The executive is referencing the new Tesla Shareholder Platform that the company launched this summer to offer new features to its retail shareholders.

It now sounds like one of the first uses of the platform is going to be this drawing for the Tesla Semi event.

As is usually the case for Tesla delivery events, the automaker is expected to not only hand over the first vehicles to customers, but it should also hold a presentation about the vehicle program, which is long overdue for the Tesla Semi.

Tesla Semi was first unveiled in 2017, and the production version was delayed several times. Last summer, Tesla offered a small update on the production version, but the automaker is expected to release more details, including the price and more configurations beyond roughly “300 miles” and “500 miles” of range.

More details on the efficiency of the truck beyond “less than 2 kWh per mile” that Tesla currently quotes would also be welcomed by customers.

Electrek’s Take​

We need more efficiency and pricing details to do the math on the Tesla Semi and really understand its potential impact on the trucking industry.

There could also be a surprise at the event. After all, Tesla unveiled the new Roadster as a surprise at the original Tesla Semi unveiling, and the Roadster is also due for an update.

It might be wishful thinking, but I think a new Roadster prototype, or even an early production look since the new Roadster is supposed to arrive next year, would be cool to see and bring back some of the fun that came with Tesla events.

I know Tesla loves having big hoopla events, but I am slightly surprised that Pepsi/Frito-Lay, as a serious company, is willing to have THEIR deliveries turned into a circus like this. I suppose Tesla asked and got their OK. Maybe they feel it's positive publicity, showcasing their steps toward clean energy, and if Tesla is footing the bill for the event, sure--free publicity.

Reactions: Gaige and AMPd
I am slightly surprised that Pepsi/Frito-Lay, as a serious company, is willing to have THEIR deliveries turned into a circus like this. I suppose Tesla asked and got their OK. Maybe they feel it's positive publicity, showcasing their steps toward clean energy, and if Tesla is footing the bill for the event, sure--free publicity.
Exactly, free publicity. Pepsi Marketing Dept can throw in free Pepsis, Mountain Dews, and Doritos for attendees. Pepsi can get some envriro-conscious marketing material out of it.

Reactions: Gaige and AMPd
From TESLARATI

Tesla posts official poster for Semi delivery event at Giga Nevada​

tesla-semi-delivery-event-poster

Credit: Tesla/Twitter

Tesla has posted an official poster for the Semi’s delivery event on December 1. As seen in the recently-uploaded image from the electric vehicle maker, the Tesla Semi delivery event will be held at Gigafactory Nevada.

Tesla posted its Semi delivery event poster on social media on Tuesday. The image featured a frontal view of the production version of the Class 8 all-electric truck. Interestingly enough, the Semi’s center driver’s seat seemed to be fitted with a red seatbelt in the image, unlike other Teslas in production today.

Tesla’s poster for the Semi delivery event echoes the company’s teasers for the vehicle from 2017, which also depicted a frontal view of the Semi. A comparison of the Semi in Tesla’s teasers from 2017 and the company’s recent delivery event poster shows some subtle differences, such as the shape of the vehicle’s headlights.

The Tesla Semi’s unveiling in 2017 was arguably one of the company’s best. With that said, there is much excitement about the Class 8 all-electric truck’s upcoming first deliveries. It was then not surprising that numerous Tesla enthusiasts and investors expressed their intentions to attend the event.

Fortunately, a number of Tesla retail shareholders will indeed be able to attend the Semi delivery event at Giga Nevada. As noted by Tesla Head of Investor Relations Martin Viecha, Tesla will be holding a random drawing for retail shareholders to see who can be invited.

“If you want to attend the Semi delivery event as a retail shareholder, please make sure you have a verified shareholder status on our IR website (unverified manual submissions are eligible if the paperwork is correct). We’ll be doing a random draw where 1 share = 1 entry,” Viecha wrote on Twitter.

Tesla will be delivering the first batch of Semi trucks to PepsiCo, one of the vehicle’s most prolific customers. As noted by Tesla CEO Elon Musk during the Q3 2022 earnings call, he would be personally present at the event. “We’ll be handing over our first production Tesla Semis to Pepsi on December 1. I’ll be there in person,” Musk said.

Curious to see how the center seating position works for drivers that pull up to gates with intercoms or pin pads.
Also seems like they went from having one blind spot (passenger side) to having both sides be blind sides.

Alley backing where drivers look out their driver side window also seems like it would be awkward.

Also wondering how driver training would work in this truck with only 1 seat in the front?

Not knocking the center seating position, just wondering if it’s another case of Tesla reinventing the wheel for no reason other to be different and in the process making things worse.

Curious to see how the center seating position works for drivers that pull up to gates with intercoms or pin pads.
Also seems like they went from having one blind spot (passenger side) to having both sides be blind sides.

Alley backing where drivers look out their driver side window also seems like it would be awkward.

Also wondering how driver training would work in this truck with only 1 seat in the front?

Not knocking the center seating position, just wondering if it’s another case of Tesla reinventing the wheel for no reason other to be different and in the process making things worse.
The blind spots in question have been covered by cameras,

the cameras again will cover that visibility In question with alley backing, and your neck won’t be sore.

there is a “jump seat” in the rear of the cab for a passenger, I favor this seating position because I don’t have to continually tell the passenger to get the heck out of my mirror.
I don’t know if center seating is right or wrong but as a driver I can see the benefits of feeling more “free” and unconfined if that’s even a word, but with anything if it looks different then what we are used to we question it.

The blind spots in question have been covered by cameras,

the cameras again will cover that visibility In question with alley backing, and your neck won’t be sore.

there is a “jump seat” in the rear of the cab for a passenger, I favor this seating position because I don’t have to continually tell the passenger to get the heck out of my mirror.
I don’t know if center seating is right or wrong but as a driver I can see the benefits of feeling more “free” and unconfined if that’s even a word, but with anything if it looks different then what we are used to we question it.
It’s fair for people to be skeptical, though. Tesla does have a record of doing things that seem to be mainly for the sake of being different, things that -- taken as a whole -- aren’t wise but which Tesla can defend by pointing to modest advantages that don’t outweigh the downsides.

It’s fair for people to be skeptical, though. Tesla does have a record of doing things that seem to be mainly for the sake of being different, things that -- taken as a whole -- aren’t wise but which Tesla can defend by pointing to modest advantages that don’t outweigh the downsides.
Or they just want to bish about anything Tesla no matter what because they know nothing about a product because it has not launched yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd

I doubt this company would design and produce this product without consulting with truck drivers.

Apparently the truck will pay for itself in two years due to the cost of diesel. My question is how it does in freezing temperatures and hilly terrain, which is an issue for all EVs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these on the freeway! (And how long before the Fast Five frachise uses one as a prop in a movie....)

The other huge question is how much the truck weighs by itself. Hauling potato chips was a smart initial mission as those are volume limited, not mass limited. But there are a limited number of those types of loads. The truck will need to be able to haul a 45k trailer while staying under 80k total weight or the economics will be much harder.

The other huge question is how much the truck weighs by itself. Hauling potato chips was a smart initial mission as those are volume limited, not mass limited. But there are a limited number of those types of loads. The truck will need to be able to haul a 45k trailer while staying under 80k total weight or the economics will be much harder.
Actually it needs to stay under 82,000 lbs GVWR, so by your own guidance that the truck would be able to haul a 45K trailer leaves 35K for the truck or 37K if you follow the 82K rule I can assure you the truck won’t weigh 35K. who said it will only haul potato chips?

Educational section, here are the numerous brands that fit under the umbrella of PepsiCo, Product Locator , so any of these products could be moved by the company PepsiCo that are purchasing these trucks.
Federal law allows “green” class 8 trucks a maximum of 82K also any trucks equipped with an APU
GENERALLY speaking the weight of the PRODUCT being hauled is around 45K the truck and trailer will weigh APPROXIMATELY 35K
Truck only weight is 14K - 19K depending on configuration brand and axle count.
Frito Lay as a company when Transporting chips GENERALLY uses their fleet of single axle day cab tractors with many of them operating on LNG.