Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Event -- November 16, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking they will be filled before this Christmas. There's a boatload of Middle Eastern <20 y.o. princes who will get a present from daddy. And then if the Federal tax plan goes through, there will be a lot more people who have excess disposable income who will have even more excess disposable income - it's called "trickle up" economics. I would plunk down the $250K cash deposit but only if Tesla offers lease options and we retain the $7,500 tax credit until I take delivery! ;)
Am I the only one that sees the irony in this?

• Love
Reactions: avesraggiana
Except that defeats the whole point of torque vectoring, which adjust the draw and regen of each motor in real time. This will be happening on each corner, not just low traction situations. Remember the S/X D models already use 2 motors on one pack, and the Rimac uses 4 motors and torque vectoring with one pack.

But nobody runs 1-4 motors off multiple packs. If there is an inverter fault, it can pull 3.9x the single pack current limit, unless in addition to the 8 contactors, they add 4 pyrofuses. Which they could, but I don't see the advantage. If there is a wiring fault, all the packs must blow their fuses, unless the contactors are rated to break the max pack current x 4. That does not sound like a million mile no break down system. It sounds like a multiple source of single point failure.

What's the worse case imbalance due to torque one could get in a single trip? How much more could one motor be used to require all packs to be in parallel? Is there a use case where a motor used 5% SOC more than the others and actually limited range?

Just checking my understanding - the Model 3 (and thus semi and presumably the Roadster) motors are all permanent magnet. Does that make them easier to cool? And was motor heat the limiting factor for the Model S not being to be a track car? Or was it battery heating? Regardless, I sure hope they have solved the cooling issue with the Roadster...

Just checking my understanding - the Model 3 (and thus semi and presumably the Roadster) motors are all permanent magnet. Does that make them easier to cool? And was motor heat the limiting factor for the Model S not being to be a track car? Or was it battery heating? Regardless, I sure hope they have solved the cooling issue with the Roadster...

The rotor on an induction motor heats up due to the induced current. I believe the Teslas have liquid cooling for it. PM motors do not have this heating effect. So less heat/ easier to cool.
Battery cooling is then the limiting factor.

What Tesla model was the Semi chasing up the hill in the Semi reveal video? Did they tease the crowd with the new Roadster before they actually showed it?

truckup1.png

truckup2.png

scargo2.png

Last edited:
What Tesla model was the Semi chasing up the hill in the Semi reveal video? Did they tease the crowd with the new Roadster before they actually showed it?

View attachment 261266

View attachment 261267

Sure looks like it could be. Especially clear in your first screen grab. No reason they'd put random vehicles in their own video ... teasing us & we missed it!

Am I missing something … or is there really not an official recording of this event available anywhere? I've checked Tesla's website, and their Vimeo and YouTube pages, as well as the general Interwebs. I don't want to watch somebody's flattened spherical nausea-inducing footage (yes I'm picky, lol). :oops: But if there's a decent fan-filmed video out there, I'd like to see it. Recommendations?

Reactions: palmer_md
Am I missing something … or is there really not an official recording of this event available anywhere? I've checked Tesla's website, and their Vimeo and YouTube pages, as well as the general Interwebs. I don't want to watch somebody's flattened spherical nausea-inducing footage (yes I'm picky, lol). :oops: But if there's a decent fan-filmed video out there, I'd like to see it. Recommendations?

I'm bummed as the full version was on this page: Tesla Semi Unveil but now is gone. By full version, I mean including the actual audio and music that was played at the event. (I was there). Intro music for the Semis was "Feet Don't Fail Me Now" by Queens of the Stone Age. "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys was used during the um, <spoiler alert>. Anyway, all the versions I'm finding online now are shorter (the original was 35 min) and/or don't have the actual event music, which gave it some energy/personality and soul.