Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
May 19, 2017
With sightings across the country, it seems the Tesla Semi prototypes are getting some road testing ahead of production.

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/04/03/tesla-semi-prototypes-racking-up-road-miles/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
With sightings across the country,
it seems the Tesla Semi prototypes are getting some road testing ahead of production.
I wonder where the semi are recharged. I never saw any picture while charging.
However they must stop somewhere every 200 miles or so?

The plug combination seems quite interesting.
tesla-semi-megacharger-charging-port-1024x685.jpg

GTKAZ

Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2017
Seattle / Portland
I've seen them also plug into regular superchargers, however you statement that they need stop every 200 miles is inaccurate. They're supposed to have 600 mile range with a load (at least for the bigger battery truck)

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
I've seen them also plug into regular superchargers
Does they use each of the 8 plugs?
They must have some special extension cable?
I imagine that they use only 4 plugs at the time, otherwise they would need very long extension cables?
Does they try avoiding sharing the same charger combination (A and B) to get optimum charging speed?

GTKAZ

Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2017
Seattle / Portland
I imagine that they use only 4 plugs at the time, otherwise they would need very long extension cables?
Does they try avoiding sharing the same charger combination (A and B) to get optimum charging speed?
All good questions I honestly don't have answers for. I'm sure we'll start seeing megachargers setup in the next 6 months and most likely at factories of the big buyers. I have a feeling the semi-truck will actually begin production ahead of schedule....for once lol

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I wonder where the semi are recharged. I never saw any picture while charging.
However they must stop somewhere every 200 miles or so?

The plug combination seems quite interesting.
tesla-semi-megacharger-charging-port-1024x685.jpg
They have a custom junction box currently that allows them to combine the outputs of two superchargers in to a plug that fits the Semi.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I've seen them also plug into regular superchargers, however you statement that they need stop every 200 miles is inaccurate. They're supposed to have 600 mile range with a load (at least for the bigger battery truck)
The bigger pack is spec'd at 500 miles range, not 600.

However both the current test trucks purportedly are the smaller 300 mile range versions.

dhanson865

Feb 16, 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee

They use either an extension cord with 1 cable from a single supercharger pedestal or they use an extension that goes to a box that combines 2 cables from 2 pedestals.

It's not the normal method for charging the semi. There is a native larger charger connection without using the adapter / extension cord at a normal supercharger.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
Tesla Semi trucks spotted Supercharging near Sacramento on their first cargo trip

It looks like the semi lost their tires side protection?

Also, I wonder why the black semi don't get the top roof like the silver one has to provide for better profiling?

the-tesla-semi-tackles-this-classic-truck-safety-problem-using-tech.jpg

screen-shot-2018-03-08-at-6-54-29-pm.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC