TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Semi Prototypes Racking Up Road Miles

Discussion in 'Semi' started by TMC Staff, Apr 3, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

With sightings across the country, it seems the Tesla Semi prototypes are getting some road testing ahead of production.

READ FULL ARTICLE

2. Ticobird

Ticobird Lovin the Tesla Life

I wonder if they were hauling batteries?

3. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

I wonder where the semi are recharged. I never saw any picture while charging.
    However they must stop somewhere every 200 miles or so?

The plug combination seems quite interesting.
    [​IMG]

4. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

I've seen them also plug into regular superchargers, however you statement that they need stop every 200 miles is inaccurate. They're supposed to have 600 mile range with a load (at least for the bigger battery truck)

5. NeverFollow

Does they use each of the 8 plugs?
    They must have some special extension cable?
    I imagine that they use only 4 plugs at the time, otherwise they would need very long extension cables?
    Does they try avoiding sharing the same charger combination (A and B) to get optimum charging speed?

6. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

They could be having a gas generator inside the trailer that charges the battery while driving ..

.. just saying :)

• Funny x 1
  7. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

All good questions I honestly don't have answers for. I'm sure we'll start seeing megachargers setup in the next 6 months and most likely at factories of the big buyers. I have a feeling the semi-truck will actually begin production ahead of schedule....for once lol

8. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

They have a custom junction box currently that allows them to combine the outputs of two superchargers in to a plug that fits the Semi.

9. scaesare

The bigger pack is spec'd at 500 miles range, not 600.

However both the current test trucks purportedly are the smaller 300 mile range versions.

10. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

You're right, they did state 500 in the unveiling. When the truck is actually released remember this post :)

11. scaesare

12. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

They use either an extension cord with 1 cable from a single supercharger pedestal or they use an extension that goes to a box that combines 2 cables from 2 pedestals.

It's not the normal method for charging the semi. There is a native larger charger connection without using the adapter / extension cord at a normal supercharger.

13. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

It is too bad they don't sell that extension. Could be useful if you have been ICE'd or even can't back in due to a bike rack or something.

14. muleferg

muleferg Supporting Member

That article is a month old and has been discussed here quite a bit...

I don't see it on this Posting.

15. NeverFollow

It looks like the semi lost their tires side protection?

Also, I wonder why the black semi don't get the top roof like the silver one has to provide for better profiling?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]