Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Prototypes Racking Up Road Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]With sightings across the country, it seems the Tesla Semi prototypes are getting some road testing ahead of production.

A truck was was spotted in February traveling on California’s I-80 near Sacramento. And reports on social media in the past month have placed the Semi at the Anheuser-Busch brewery in St. Louis and an event for Pepsi employees in Dallas. Both companies have announced orders for the vehicle.

Login • Instagram

Last week, both the short range, matte black Tesla Semi and the long range silver Semi were spotted by YouTube user Sergey MoldovanAmerican. The trucks were spotted near Danville, Calif., about 30 minutes from Tesla’s Fremont factory.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwolixqqIk” video_title=”1″][vc_column_text]With the truck scheduled to go into production next year, sightings of the Semi being tested on public roads will likely be more frequent.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
With sightings across the country,
it seems the Tesla Semi prototypes are getting some road testing ahead of production.
I wonder where the semi are recharged. I never saw any picture while charging.
However they must stop somewhere every 200 miles or so?

The plug combination seems quite interesting.
tesla-semi-megacharger-charging-port-1024x685.jpg

I've seen them also plug into regular superchargers
Does they use each of the 8 plugs?
They must have some special extension cable?
I imagine that they use only 4 plugs at the time, otherwise they would need very long extension cables?
Does they try avoiding sharing the same charger combination (A and B) to get optimum charging speed?

I imagine that they use only 4 plugs at the time, otherwise they would need very long extension cables?
Does they try avoiding sharing the same charger combination (A and B) to get optimum charging speed?
All good questions I honestly don't have answers for. I'm sure we'll start seeing megachargers setup in the next 6 months and most likely at factories of the big buyers. I have a feeling the semi-truck will actually begin production ahead of schedule....for once lol

I've seen them also plug into regular superchargers, however you statement that they need stop every 200 miles is inaccurate. They're supposed to have 600 mile range with a load (at least for the bigger battery truck)
The bigger pack is spec'd at 500 miles range, not 600.

However both the current test trucks purportedly are the smaller 300 mile range versions.

They use either an extension cord with 1 cable from a single supercharger pedestal or they use an extension that goes to a box that combines 2 cables from 2 pedestals.

It's not the normal method for charging the semi. There is a native larger charger connection without using the adapter / extension cord at a normal supercharger.