Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Semi Said to Have 200-300 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scott Perry, an executive at Miami-based fleet operator Ryder System Inc., spilled some details on the upcoming Tesla semi during an interview with Reuters. Perry said the truck is expected to have a range of 200-300 miles, which would most likely suit regional hauling efforts.

Perry said he received the details in a meeting earlier this year at Tesla’s manufacturing facility in Fremont, California.

More from Reuters:

Perry said Tesla’s efforts are centered on an electric big-rig known as a “day cab” with no sleeper berth, capable of traveling about 200 to 300 miles with a typical payload before recharging.

“I’m not going to count them out for having a strategy for longer distances or ranges, but right out of the gate I think that’s where they’ll start,” said Perry, who is the chief technology officer and chief procurement officer for Ryder.

Tesla plans to unveil the semi next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just regional haul if Tesla can keep supercharging times on semis down. In Europe especially, where you have to have 45 minutes of break for every 4 1/2 hours of driving regardless. Can't wait to see their charge solutions.

Would be interested to know the typical distance a semi-truck travels in a day. To me, it sounds way too short to be useful. Is this range at full load?

I'd expect most semi truck drivers cover at least 500 miles every day non-stop.

Would be interested to know the typical distance a semi-truck travels in a day. To me, it sounds way too short to be useful. Is this range at full load?

I'd expect most semi truck drivers cover at least 500 miles every day non-stop.
I'm guessing that's why they said regional haul. Long haul trucks obviously travel longer between fuel stops.

Federal rules allow eleven hours behind the wheel before a mandatory eight-hour break. I think there is a second rule (gotta check with some clients) that allows eight hours with a four hour break before granting another six hours or so. But I could be wrong on the second one.

Could it be possible that the trailers have battery storage in addition to the tractors? That way the drivers can leave with a full charge, drive their 200-250 miles, say, drop off the trailer, pick up a new fully-charged trailer and return?

Five hundred miles in one day, including down time switching trailers could easily be done in fewer than 11 hours. (Discounting the overtime premium that would be paid to the drivers.)

Federal rules allow eleven hours behind the wheel before a mandatory eight-hour break. I think there is a second rule (gotta check with some clients) that allows eight hours with a four hour break before granting another six hours or so. But I could be wrong on the second one.

In the US. In the EU it's 45 minutes every 4 1/2 hours. I can't believe you let people haul 60 tonne loads for 11 hours without a break. And let them log their time on paper, at that. To me that sounds insane.

Even in the US, long hauls are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of long-haul cargo shipments are by rail, boat, or other means (at least by tonnage). 80% of total shipments by tonnage are under 500 miles, and semis dominate those. Source.

Could it be possible that the trailers have battery storage in addition to the tractors? That way the drivers can leave with a full charge, drive their 200-250 miles, say, drop off the trailer, pick up a new fully-charged trailer and return?

It certainly could be. Or they could just be supercharging while at their destination. I guess we'll find out. Normally you don't want to have to have a lot of capital cost in something like a trailer that may spend significant time sitting around - but the economics will dictate what solution is best.

In the US. In the EU it's 45 minutes every 4 1/2 hours. I can't believe you let people haul 60 tonne loads for 11 hours without a break. And let them log their time on paper, at that. To me that sounds insane.

Even in the US, long hauls are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of long-haul cargo shipments are by rail, boat, or other means (at least by tonnage). 80% of total shipments by tonnage are under 500 miles, and semis dominate those. Source.

It certainly could be. Or they could just be supercharging while at their destination. I guess we'll find out. Normally you don't want to have to have a lot of capital cost in something like a trailer that may spend significant time sitting around - but the economics will dictate what solution is best.

Karen, the GVW maximum on the interstate highways is 80,000 pounds, which equates to forty short tons (tonnes?) Not sure if a tonne is a spelling variant or another weight measurement. From what I understand new tractors have computer log books that record the hours the motor is running to supplement the manual log books maintained by drivers. I think the trucking lobby has a lot of sway in DC which may explain our 11-hour rule.

You are correct that most terrestrial long hauls are by rail. But those typically are enormous quantities of a single product like cars, coal, lumber, grain, recycling, food grade oils, containers, etc. But many parts of the country are not served by rail and must rely upon long haul trucking to ship and receive goods.

You are correct that most terrestrial long hauls are by rail. But those typically are enormous quantities of a single product like cars, coal, lumber, grain, recycling, food grade oils, containers, etc. But many parts of the country are not served by rail and must rely upon long haul trucking to ship and receive goods.

x2 on this
The rail industry stopped hauling various small items 25years ago.
Rail yards shrunk, Labor costs disappeared and a lot of workers were paid to go away, the caboose disappeared forever....

and trucks on roadways multiplied almost immediately. :(

I just don't see the Tesla semi taking off until they get some serious range.

Au contraire! Imagine, if you will, this/these:

1. Phased replacement of every miserable exhaust-spewing short-hauler (intermodal) from the combined Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach - the largest port complex in the States.

2. Expansion and replacement of existing fleets for Amazon’s shipping partners not named UPS, and Walmart.

3. Ah, UPS.

For #s 2 and 3, a smaller variant of the semi would be at least as helpful - picture the standard UPS brown truck.

For long-haul OTR trucking, you’ve got a point today. Will be interesting to see how technology evolves in the next 5-7 years to support greater range. Maybe advances in charging will shorten that curve. Should be fun to witness.