Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Truck Rear-View Mirror / Camera Fin Pods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's been some discussion about the Semi Truck's review mirror / camera fin pods that we saw at the reveal. As mentioned in another thread, it was dark and tricky to see, but it appeared like there were 4 cameras in each of these "fins". Presumably these provide rear-review images for the driver's screens as well as for Autopilot. @buttershrimp and I thought they were interesting and wanted you folks to be able to check them out. First pic shows where they live on each side of the Semi tractor. The 2nd two pics show the fin (actually it's the one on the right side of the truck) with us standing underneath it at slightly different angles. @lunitiks - here you go! I've circled the 4 unique lenses I could make out - note I didn't circle the ones that were visible in both pics.

IMG_9253.png
IMG_4669.JPG
IMG_9263 (1)-2.png

That’s a leap forward for sure from the Model X side camera stalks/pods they had as part of the prototype that was at the Design Center for awhile.

Exciting stuff. I understand that side cameras in lieu of side view mirrors have been in use for some time in Japan. Hopefully that will shorten the timeframe for regulatory approval in the States.

Thanks for the photos--great closeup too. Have to show my husband. We discussed them and he didn't think the little appendage up there were the side view mirrors.

Can't recall but where they letting people into the cab? Love to know if anyone got a screen capture of the semi's driver's screen showing the views from the cameras. Is there anyway to have a rear camera on the truck like we do on our Model S but with a connector to the cab and a long, secured cabling to a mountable rear camera that Tesla could sell to work with their semi?

Last edited:
Can't recall but where they letting people into the cab? Love to know if anyone got a screen capture of the semi's driver's screen showing the views from the cameras.

The only thing I have seen is the press kit picture that shows the cockpit. With the rear view camera view on the outside edge of each monitor:

Tesla Cockpit.jpg

I seem to recall that was viewable in the live stream as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Hmm. Not seeing the road on either of those two views, beautiful country but the screens look more like wallpaper than what I would expect of a rear view. Looks like a very comfortable interior though. Actually that press kit picture makes the semi look like an airplane cockpit sort of, with the semi flying in the air (assume those are contrails in the sky). Subliminal message there?

Hmm. Not seeing the road on either of those two views, beautiful country but the screens look more like wallpaper than what I would expect of a rear view. Looks like a very comfortable interior though. Actually that press kit picture makes the semi look like an airplane cockpit sort of, with the semi flying in the air (assume those are contrails in the sky). Subliminal message there?

Here is a better capture from the press kit video:
Tesla Semi Cockpit.png

And from their Twitter feed:
DOzuhGUUEAIC90j.jpg:large

Does that say 770 miles remaining?

Last edited:
Here is a better capture from the press kit video:
View attachment 261419

And from their Twitter feed:
DOzuhGUUEAIC90j.jpg:large

Does that say 770 miles remaining?

Good eye! Yes it does say 770 mi.! huh?! Interesting. Are they playing with us? Think so!!!

Ttwitter_display - 1.jpg

Did some map research and the nav shows April Ave. and Wessix Ct. and 280 here in the Bay Area near Serramonte and north of the Golden Gate National Cemetery. 280 does run between the two residential streets, so the semi would be traveling southbound on 280. That is not the view we are seeing outside the cab however ;).

Last edited:
Good eye! Yes it does say 770 mi.! huh?! Interesting. Are they playing with us? Think so!!!

View attachment 261425

Did some map research and the nav shows April Ave. and Wessix Ct. and 280 here in the Bay Area near Serramonte and north of the Golden Gate National Cemetery. 280 does run between the two residential streets, so the semi would be traveling southbound on 280. That is not the view we are seeing outside the cab however ;).
Indeed the views shown on the screens don't add up for a number of reasons. The view out the front shows a two lane road, with hills and greenery. The left view shows another (presumably overtaking) semi in the left lane, and dry flat terrain. The right view shows similar dry terrain but with the truck in the left lane and an empty right lane. No two of the views are consistent.

They've said "fully loaded range" is 500. That assumes full charge.

Thanks and I may have worded this poorly but I was actually wondering about the max range in miles the battery might yield when fully charged before setting out with any load. If I understand the "fully loaded" it refers to the assumption the trailer is carrying 80,000 lbs if I recall the presentation correctly, and with that load you could anticipate a general range of 500mi. Of course the load (among other factors) will vary the mileage range (Like our 75D at 65mph in 70F temp with no A/C and 19in wheels would get 275mi). The semi's display shows it traveling at 65mph with the temp at 72F and the battery level (kind of hard to tell) but maybe at 90%? ie. Let's say your an independent trucker who delivered your load, charged and now heading home without another load to transport.

Last edited: