Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Unveil and Test Rides - Oct. 26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking forward to this. Recapping all the other threads the large truck business is screaming for an electric solution for various parts of the truck fleet. Could be very good for economy and environment.

As a recent owner of a large diesel truck (Hino) I've become much more sensitized to trucks in general, i see them, look at them, notice differences, etc.

Local store delivery fleets that run class 8 & 9 daycab tractors are perfect for conversion.

We rarely run more than 500 miles a day and always have multiple stops unloading for roughly 1-2 hours per stop. All of the stores have 3 phase commercial power perfect for some sort of D.C. fast charging would unloading.

This dumper truck is the world’s largest electric vehicle with a massive 700 kWh battery pack

e-dumper-stopperbild.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: CraZ8
700kW isn't even that much, a model 3 got a 80kW already right? Cars have up to 80 ish liters of diesel, trucks have up to 1200 liters of diesel. Back in the days these dumper trucks probably had... Well I have no clue how big their tanks were at the time.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Just got this email. We'll know more once they send the actual invitations.
You have qualified for a VIP invitation to our semi truck event on Thursday, October 26 in Hawthorne, CA. Please save the date. You will receive an email invitation closer to the event.

We look forward to celebrating this exciting milestone with you!

Best Regards,

The Tesla Team

Reactions: GonzaloAR and WillK
The amazing thing in that Epic picture is comparing the Tesla Truck with the technology of the Diesel truck that is hauling it in.

Those two upright diesel exhaust stacks of the transportation cab tell the whole story of the need for electric trucks.

"Now you know" did a feature on a huge dump truck, owned by a cement company.

That truck is totally recharged by gravity.

The dump truck depletes it's battery when going up the hill, empty. Much lighter going up as it has no load in it's bed.

When filled up at the top of the hill it uses regenerative braking on the way down to recharge the batteries.

The truck weighs so much more, filled up on the way down, that it generates more energy on the down hill than it uses on it's empty uphill journey.

Very little, or no charging needed for the specific way that truck is being used....clever.