Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could you see yourself handling a Tesla semi?

• You're kidding right?

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Absolutely!

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Nah let me at the Roadster

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
Okay so it was a WOW factor. Nothing new there. Consistent with Tesla brand semi tickles ALL my gadgetaholic wanna tinker and touch it tendencies. Normal since personal Tesla discovery moment.
I would add looks good enough to taste but that might be a bit much for some minds to wrap around. Wait til the end though. You'll want to.

Semi no jack knifing enhanced autopilot practically impenetrable panoramic windshield safety features are music in answer to my inquisitively intuitive mind's ear. Lest I forget elimination of gazillion gear shifts. Long term cost beats out gas powered commercial tractor trailers. When convoyed rivals rail freighters. And wins. Sighs. Thin line between love and hate. I'm keeping those festive plaids;) A match for that not hardly standard knockout punch. New Roadster. Tesla throwback made new. Now, it's a party. Hungry?

Ultimate takeaway. "The hell with barriers. Jump over!" Somebody just let the dogs out. Semi. New Roadster. Tesla's breaking through like gang busters. Future of gas powered vehicles draws closer to its end as the exodus toward sustainable energy sourced transportation is our new reality. In my estimation, which despite my personal principles still holds, nobody's doing it better. Tesla has manufactured a new working model for making peace not war. I can go for that.

So how was it for you? TMC clubbers weigh in.

Reactions: Krugerrand
*Edited version. Because sometimes you need longer than 10 minutes for tweaking.*

Okay so it was a WOW factor. Nothing new there. Consistent with Tesla brand semi tickles ALL my gadgetaholic wanna tinker and touch it tendencies. Normal since personal Tesla discovery moment. I would add looks good enough to taste but that might be a bit much for some minds to wrap around. Wait til the end though. You'll want to.

Semi no jack knifing enhanced autopilot practically impenetrable panoramic windshield safety features are music in answer to my inquisitively intuitive mind's ear. Lest I forget elimination of gazillion gear shifts. Long term cost beats out gas powered commercial tractor trailers. When convoyed rivals rail freighters. And wins. Did I mention miles and miles before recharging? To put into perspective LA to San Fran. West Coast. Baltimore to New York City East Coast. Sighs. Thin line between love and hate. I'm keeping those festive plaids;) A match for that not hardly standard knockout punch. New model Roadster. Tesla throwback revved up to be fastest electric car in fleet. Now, it's a party. Hungry?

Ultimate takeaway. "The hell with barriers. Jump over!" Somebody just let the dogs out. Semi. New Roadster. Tesla's breaking through like gang busters. Future of gas powered vehicles draws closer to its end as the exodus toward sustainable energy sourced transportation is our new reality. In my estimation, which despite my personal principles still holds, nobody's doing it better. Tesla has manufactured a new working model for making peace not war. I can go for that.

In your survey, you're missing the option for Tesla motor home conversion, with a built in storage for Model 3 or a Roadster, like this:
RV-Ferrari.jpg
Of course it should have the ability to share the batteries, so that you can charge your Roadster from the RV and if the RV needs more range it should be able to just suck from the stored Roadster - an extra 200KWh could surely help. Oh, and an electric BBQ and a fryer! ;)

Reactions: Nvbob
Okay so it was a WOW factor. Nothing new there. Consistent with Tesla brand semi tickles ALL my gadgetaholic wanna tinker and touch it tendencies. Normal since personal Tesla discovery moment.
I would add looks good enough to taste but that might be a bit much for some minds to wrap around. Wait til the end though. You'll want to.

Semi no jack knifing enhanced autopilot practically impenetrable panoramic windshield safety features are music in answer to my inquisitively intuitive mind's ear. Lest I forget elimination of gazillion gear shifts. Long term cost beats out gas powered commercial tractor trailers. When convoyed rivals rail freighters. And wins. Sighs. Thin line between love and hate. I'm keeping those festive plaids;) A match for that not hardly standard knockout punch. New Roadster. Tesla throwback made new. Now, it's a party. Hungry?

Semi is fine but how can anyone see a $250,000 car as a breakthrough? This is a car which will create a nice big carbon footprint to produce...
only to be a toy for someone. It's kinda wasteful actually.

Semi is fine but how can anyone see a $250,000 car as a breakthrough? This is a car which will create a nice big carbon footprint to produce...
only to be a toy for someone. It's kinda wasteful actually.
Sort of but that is what people said about the first Roadster and if we did not have that would not have the S, X, 3, or Semi or Roadster 2. I think people that buy the Roadster 2 will be paying for helping develop new technology that will trickle down to the rest of us. Longer range, and faster charging are still needed.

I would take the semi over the roadster. At least the semi I am less likely to wrap around a phone pole.

I've driven semi trucks before around parking lots anyways. I was a truck mechanic but didn't have a CDL so couldn't take them off the lot.

Just trying to figure out how much power I would need to recharge overnight at home.

200 mile commute at 2kwh so 400kwh looks like I could recharge in 12 hours and still be able to turn on a light (LED) to read before going to bed. Much else and I will blow the main fuse. Although if I have to follow the 80% rule I may not be able to use the light.

From my reddit thread. Excellent points. Especially about sleeper cab. Overnight charging is ideal scenario for most Tesla owners but for long haul truckers makes perfect sense. They are required, by law, to rest (sleep) after x accumulated hours of straight driving.
/u/Haysdb • reply
There will be easy niches for this truck to fill while fleets dip a toe in the water. I ran dedicated for Dollar Tree out of Portland. Every route was out and back to the distribution center with most round trips less than 500 miles. The Semi actually wouldn’t work for that though since I lived in the truck, but Schneider also ran a dedicated account for Anheuser Busch where the drivers are back to the Schneider Operations Center every night. Put a couple of charging stations at the OC and badda boom badda bing, the Tesla Semi would be a perfect fit. And the massive torque would be great for hauling those tri-axles full of beer.
I noticed the prototypes were both day cabs. Makes sense that the initial niche will be routes where you’re out and back to a charger every day.
A sleeper cab would be 4’ longer in wheelbase and could accommodate another stacked pair of battery packs. Those will come along once the charging infrastructure gets built up.