Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been posting lately about Tesla acquiring Ford (& perhaps others after that), but I think I have a much more feasible suggestion: Navistar (NAV).

Kudos for the persistence with your line of thinking @Esme Es Mejor, when others (like me) weren’t hopping on board the acquisition train. I like this idea the most so far of your posts on the subject.

"2018 Is the Tipping Point for Commercial Vehicle Electrification
Motor carriers and shippers have placed 15,325 confirmed orders for electrified commercial trucks and buses worldwide for delivery between now and 2021."

2018 Is the Tipping Point for Commercial Vehicle Electrification
For me this stood out:

The bulk of new electric truck deliveries through 2021 will be in the heavy-duty models, according to Interact’s report. Hayfield said he agrees, though, that it will be in the much larger medium-duty arena that zero-emission trucks and vans will come to the forefront over the long term.

My own outlook has been that heavy duty would offer quickest return on investment. For example, if on the Tesla Semi you save 25c/mile, your savings accumulate 5 times faster if you use it 500 miles per day than just 100 miles per day. So all else equal, the economics work better for higher duty. But what works against this is whether truck makers can bring heavy duty products to market quicker than medium duty. Conventional wisdom has assumed that heavy duty would require much more tech development time. But I think this conventional wisdom is just wrong. You have to follow where the economics will pencil out first. So it is nice to see that electric truck orders seem to confirm this.

I would not be surprised if it became a parking garage (hence looking more like a building site than a parking lot for now). If they go with a flat parking area they're going to need more transportation to move people to/from their cars and the building because that's a bit of a hike once you make it large enough for all employees ...

• Love
Reactions: neroden and Lessmog
I would not be surprised if it became a parking garage (hence looking more like a building site than a parking lot for now). If they go with a flat parking area they're going to need more transportation to move people to/from their cars and the building because that's a bit of a hike once you make it large enough for all employees ...
Yep, I think it would have to be a vertical garage unless they want to run shuttle buses from the parking lot to the factory like Disney used to.

Frankly at this point they need onsite housing, "company town" style, or perhaps a commuter rail line going to a "company town". (I don't think Tesla has the capital for that right now, but Panasonic *does* make manufactured housing!) But a parking garage will probably be a decent stopgap measure.

Get in Line: Backlog for Big Rigs Stretches to 2019

North American freight-haulers ordered more than 300,000 Class 8 trucks in the first seven months of this year and are on track to order a record 450,000 of the heavy-duty vehicles for the full year, according to ACT Research. That would be the largest book since 2004, when orders reached 390,000, according to analysts.

Get in Line: Backlog for Big Rigs Stretches to 2019

North American freight-haulers ordered more than 300,000 Class 8 trucks in the first seven months of this year and are on track to order a record 450,000 of the heavy-duty vehicles for the full year, according to ACT Research. That would be the largest book since 2004, when orders reached 390,000, according to analysts.
Too bad Tesla does not yet have a semi product to ramp up.

upload_2018-9-24_23-43-23.png

Tesla starts making its own car carriers to support Q3's Model 3 delivery push

I'll put this here for posterity. I am looking forward to seeing how Tesla is designing these carriers. I suspect that Tesla has been working on trailer designs in the background for quite awhile. Naturally they would want a trailer that is optimized for use with an electric semi and for carrying EVs and battery packs. In fact, if they had a trailer that could send say 24 battery packs to Fremont and return 8 cars back to the GF1 that would be very valuable. They could have a staging area in Nevada where they coordinate the shipping of vehicles to the central and eastern portions of the country. The trips between Fremont and Sparks would serve double duty and avoid logistical congestion in Fremont.

So my guess is that they have designed a trailer that does double duty, packs and cars. Conventional car carriers do not seem well suited for carrying packs.

And as a bonus if you are shipping packs and EVs, there is even the potential to uses these batteries to supply power for transport. So I'm curious if they are tapping that potential.

Finally, any trailer fitted for duty with electric semi could be enhanced by adding drive units to the trailer that provide a modest boost, improved traction and regenerative braking. Other manufactures are already exploring the potential for electric trailers. I've got to believe that Tesla has been evaluating the opportunities in this area.

Tesla starts making its own car carriers to support Q3's Model 3 delivery push

So my guess is that they have designed a trailer that does double duty, packs and cars.
Conventional car carriers do not seem well suited for carrying packs.

I noticed those closed trailers commonly used by moving companies, so you can get your furniture and your car moved together.

Since the trailers will be empty on the way back, they could be used to carry any kind of goods, like mini containers or PODS, as jhm mentioned it.

tesla-delivery-model-3-q3-e1537819202228.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and jhm
Finally, any trailer fitted for duty with electric semi could be enhanced by adding drive units to the trailer
that provide a modest boost, improved traction and regenerative braking.

Other manufactures are already exploring the potential for electric trailers.
I've got to believe that Tesla has been evaluating the opportunities in this area.

There is also potentially a huge market for all-electric refrigeration zero emissions trailers units.

m-reefers-1.jpg

Reactions: jhm
Tesla Cars Could Deliver Themselves In ~1 Year (If Regulators Approved), Tesla Buys Trucking Companies In The Meantime | CleanTechnica

How the heck did we miss this? Tesla has bought a few trucking companies. I think this is clear indication that Tesla will be doing its own trucking on using its own electric trucks. This gives Tesla huge testing opportunities before selling trucks to the public. But Tesla can ramp production for a year or more before public sales. Clearly, they want to take on the economics of trains. If they can pioneer this, they can develop profitable trucking company that has a huge advantage over other trucking companies and trains.

Musk is being low key about this. But I think Tesla Trucking could be a huge disruption to the hauling industry.