Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, the MegaWatt charging port and plug are big and rectangular, not rounded.

In the meantime, the current Cybertruck charge port and plug are the same as the rest of Tesla cars S 3 X Y.
Semi prototype was 4 sets of HV pins (likely to 4 packs feeding the 4 Model 3 motors).
Cybertruck prototype was standard connector (again reusing parts).

Tesla is on standards group for Megawatt charging connector, and have patent on a smaller squarer connector.
Tesla Semi Truck Megacharger Gets Improvements, Shows 'Charging System with Cooling System' Patent
Check New Photos Of Tesla Semi's Megachargers: The Plug Is Big

Cybertruck may get dual ports to handle home charging on existing EVSE along with system compatibility (NACS, CCS(1) to NACS).

This whole package is the problem traditional truck manufacturers face with Tesla. The semi is a giant Model Y with some add-ons. Tesla is already at scale with the semi.

Perhaps a missing part from the presentation was that the the retired packs from the semi are usable by the customer for stationary storage. A megawatt-hour pack is still valuable at 75% capacity.
Packs may stay in use until a critical fault makes them unusable at which point it comes down to their modularity.
If the pack is still usable with 75% SOC, the Semi is a functional standard range version and would not be decommissioned.
Sub 50% capacity is still great for a local or yard truck.

Well that is max motor speed. For Semi use, I assume they geared it down (for more torque multiplication), so max vehicle speed is low, but they could rev the motors up to high RPMs
Yes, that makes sense.

Also, they mentioned that Cybertruck should have megacharging support. I wonder if that means 2 different charging sockets.
The statement was ambiguous. It was said in the context of the immersive cooling tech and a graph showing V4 Supercharging. I suspect what is happening is that Cybertruck is being optimized for V4 wiich will also do up to 1,000V. I don’t think they will put a Megacharger inlet on the Cybertruck.

Elon notably did not specify at what speed 1.7 kWh/mile is achieved, but if he meant ~60 mph (100 kph) then the math checks out with estimates I had made a few months ago. I am glad to hear actual confirmation straight from Elon.

This assumes that Tesla has not improved the normal 0.005 coefficient of rolling resistance for trucks and trailers and that the aero drag coefficient is still 0.36 as Tesla has claimed since the 2017 reveal.

View attachment 880529
Exterior width is 8.5 feet, that extra 6.75 sqft is offset by subtraction for ground clearance between wheels gap, need to also include mirrors.

I came up with 0.8 kWh/ mile for aero years ago.

Why? It was already shown that one Megacharger install used the rectangular prototype MCS connector. So I would guess that they have switched to the official standard triangular one now. But I expect the Semi to have both a MCS and NACS inlet.
A V4 Supercharger at “1,000V” with immersive cooling should allow even a Cybertruck with a 200 kWh pack to charge at peak. Adding an additional relatively low-volume, higher-cost Megacharger inlet would just be for bling and would add cost. We see Tesla optimizing and reducing cost all of the time so that seems contradictory.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I had the same question too:

Is it just 10 packs, or 5 packs containing twice as many cells?
is it double stacked on the floor?
Prototypes were likely 4 off the shelf packs.
Production is likely some number of custom size single cell height modules layered together. Model 3 modules are 3.5 inches thick so could stack six in a 2 foot high box. At 11.5x73 inches, they could fit sideways and get eight in 8 ft of vehicle length. 48 modules is more than 12 cars worth and over 1 MWh.

Ya, well what about the cable? I just assumed it was 3 pedal. :rolleyes:

View attachment 880594
Our old Blazer had a cable actuated front axle disconnect system for efficency.
This system is a little fancier since the motors synchronize their speed to the axle before engaging.
Having no net torque demand and no speed difference when engaging is a big differentiator from the two speed gearbox issues of the past.

Yeah, I probably got ahead of things on the pack density. I'm usually thinking about cell density, but the rest of the pack adds quite a bit.

However, I think the 8kWh/gal gasoline or 9kWh/gal diesel figure is fairly robust. It basically comes down to the relative efficiency of BEV drivetrain versus ICE drivetrain. The rest of the vehicle does not matter. So if you've got a tractor-trailer that gets say 6.5 mpg, switching that with battery electric gets 1.38 kWh/mi = 9 kWh/gal / 6.5 mpg. Now some super efficient designs are pushing 12 mpg. So if Tesla were to achieve comparable aerodynamics and roll resistance, we could be looking at 0.75 kWh/mi. My guess is that they are definitely working those angles vigorously.

So per Mitch's post above, I'm willing to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they have in fact figured out how to make this work. If they come out with a truck that only does 2 kWh/mile, I think it is egg on their face. To make this whole thing work, Tesla has to achieve an impressive total miles range per weight of battery, mile/kg. And by "impressive" I mean high enough that many smart people do not believe that it is presently possible. So they need some combination of high energy density in the batter and high efficiency in propulsion. So right now Musk is signaling that they've got something that may surprise us.
It's a bit amusing to look back at old post and see where we're at. Here I was arguing that the efficiency of the Semi could be in range 1.2 to 1.5 kWh/mile. Now Musk is clear that they are getting 1.7 kWh/mile.

One thing that has always been confusing about this discussion is the distinction between fully loaded efficiency and avg efficiency. A huge portion of driven miles is an unloaded return trip. So average efficiency is an average of loaded and unloaded trips.

When Musk says 1.7 kWh/mile, I suspect he is just talking about fully loaded. If so, the average efficiency could still be in range of 1.2 to 1.5.

Cheers!

Does Semi with a trailer have a length limitation?

So I was wondering if adding a folding rear cover (a litle like the shape or an egg, or so)
could improve the aero-efficiency of the Semi for long distance?

I noticed that in some states, semi trucks can have two or even three trailers.
Does thoses elongated trucks have also the same 80k Lbs weight limitation?

Does Semi with a trailer have a length limitation?

So I was wondering if adding a folding rear cover (a litle like the shape or an egg, or so)
could improve the aero-efficiency of the Semi for long distance?

I noticed that in some states, semi trucks can have two or even three trailers.
Does thoses elongated trucks have also the same 80k Lbs weight limitation?

Yes - they can definitely add aerodynamic trailer tails as you may have seen on existing highway trucks. During the presentation, they mentioned that they decided not to add aerodynamic enhancements for the 500-mile test run.

Reactions: Watts_Up