Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sends out delivery delay emails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad I'm not the only one getting stuck on the "SIGN IN" click.

On the one hand, this 3 delay is no big deal for us personally because we're happy to wait into 2018 for our 3 order to become available (we were given a date of Oct-Dec 2017... thinking of that causes LOLs and shaking of heads).

On the other hand, as a shareholder, I am of course unhappy. Stock will probably dip below $300 now. More delays before it hits $1000. Plus, just more proof that Tesla overpromises and underdelivers. More waiting. Always with the waiting, Elon.

As Tom Petty said, "the waaaaaaiiiting is the hardest part"

Well, got my email: will be “slightly” later then they expected. of course they don’t say how long. But do say I can check in the next 24 hours. damn should of put myself in more debt and got an MS if they are running up to three months behind I could be looking at April thru May rather than my January through March. We will see in the next 24 hours or until the next email telling me that it will be “slightly” longer........... also read an article from CNBC that insiders are saying the M3 is still in three didgits, in another they said Tesla my not be out of “production hell” till some time in the third quarter of 18. The only upside is maybe a lot of people will toss their reservations moving me up. Was looking at January thru March, with a stated three month backlog I ciuld be looking at April thru June… anyone want to bet on how far Tesla’s stocks will fall tomorrow? This is like the MX.....

While I not crazy about news of a delay, of course, I have to smile because even the time delay results on the website are.....delayed.... :)
I'm guessing the thought process was to give people a heads up that the windows would be pushing out rather than letting them log in and be surprised by it, without any warning or explanation. That said, the email could have been clearer about when the site will be updated...

Imagine how hard it is not to promise things that everyone else with experience in the industry said to be not possible......oh wait

My post was moved out of context. Someone started a thread trying to post a picture 4 times. It was a joke.

Tesla's over promise under deliver might be their demise. That or working in autopilot more than blind spot alerts.

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
Totally re-thinking the entire purchase. I have been holding on to dear life with my current vehicle which I’ve wanted to replace for over a year. It is never a great idea to buy in the first model year of a car. With all that is surrounding this vehicle and company, I may not be the best customer.

I really need to think about whether this is the right car and company for me and my $$$$. I want to support the mission but not sure if I’m willing to pay the “price” in the many ways that can be defined.

I wish Elon had not given me more time to bail on this thing......just today (before the news) my wife said, “just face it, that Tesla is not coming anytime soon, go buy something else.” This...coming from the woman that stood in line on day 1 for hours for my reservation.

Edit to add..FWIW..Two reservations and shareholder....I am not a happy guy right now.

The wierdly worded email sent at a time when website not ready is not helping. I’m holding on to reservation but partly thinking I should buy and enjoy one last powerful gas engine car before electric becomes much more mainstream (and gas/diesel closer to being phased out).

Early line waiter in California. No such email received.

Some predictions:
The sun will rise tomorrow.
TSLA stock will be down.
Tesla will build more cars.
The engineers will figure out the problem.
The engineers will fix the problem.
Model 3 production will ramp.
Tesla will become profitable.

The rest of the chatter is just lip bouncing.

RT

Last edited:
All of us on this forum already knew we'd be getting one of these emails. I'm actually (maybe sadly) impressed they got it out before the cars were delivered...
I'm sorry. I didn't think we would get one of these. There are still 2 months left in this year.

The only way I would have known is to be apprised as to what the issue was. Now that we know that the problem was Tesla's design and not a vendors:

“To date, our primary production constraint has been in the battery module assembly line at Gigafactory 1, where cells are packaged into modules. Four modules are packaged into an aluminum case to form a Model 3 battery pack. The combined complexity of module design and its automated manufacturing process has taken this line longer to ramp than expected. The biggest challenge is that the first two zones of a four zone process, key elements of which were done by manufacturing systems suppliers, had to be taken over and significantly redesigned by Tesla. We have redirected our best engineering talent to fine-tune the automated processes and related robotic programming, and we are confident that throughput will increase substantially in upcoming weeks and ultimately be capable of production rates significantly greater than the original specification.”

I can expect a delay

“Based on what we know now, we currently expect to achieve a production rate of 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week by late Q1 2018, recognizing that our production growth rate is like a stepped exponential, so there can be large forward jumps from one week to the next. We will provide an update when we announce Q4 production and delivery numbers in the first few days of January. With respect to the timing for producing 10,000 units per week, it has always been our intention to implement that capacity addition after we have achieved a 5,000 per week run rate.”

I don't remember them posting a thought or anything about the delivery timeline during the unveil. Do you have a link I can read about their thoughts?
Guess I am going to stand corrected on this, original unveil says end of 2017. I am pretty sure that was moved up significantly from original planned date, however, I can not find any proof at the moment. I'm not a leaser though, still rocking my 04' Mitsubishi Galant. Won't enjoy waiting longer for my Model 3, but will gladly do so.

• Helpful
Reactions: landis and bhzmark