Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sent an email about new interior trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I'm afraid it might get too dark, I have all black interior, the silver was the only light thing

I’vre never liked the black interior for this reason. It’s too monotone. Everything is black. And then there’s the issue of heat. Personally I like the cream interior, as it’s classy, and gives the cabin a light and airy feel. That’s especially true with its light headliner, something even the sterile white seats don’t offer. There is the issue of cleanliness with the lighter colors, but I think it’s well worth it.

I’vre never liked the black interior for this reason. It’s too monotone. Everything is black. And then there’s the issue of heat. Personally I like the cream interior, as it’s classy, and gives the cabin a light and airy feel. That’s especially true with its light headliner, something even the sterile white seats don’t offer. There is the issue of cleanliness with the lighter colors, but I think it’s well worth it.
So everything black is too monotone but everything cream is ok?

I'd have to see the oak and the new trim in person to judge it. I was at my service center today for a repair, so i wandered into the showroom and tried to find a sample of the new oak. There did not yet seem to be sample of it on the wall. (I was there early, so there were no sales staff in yet to ask.) I have not yet seen a car with the cream interior. One thing I did notice is that the cream sample on the wall did not seem that different in tone from my car's gray upholstery, which we like but is no longer offered. Hard to judge from the wall sample, though....

I'd have to see the oak and the new trim in person to judge it. I was at my service center today for a repair, so i wandered into the showroom and tried to find a sample of the new oak. There did not yet seem to be sample of it on the wall. (I was there early, so there were no sales staff in yet to ask.) I have not yet seen a car with the cream interior. One thing I did notice is that the cream sample on the wall did not seem that different in tone from my car's gray upholstery, which we like but is no longer offered. Hard to judge from the wall sample, though....
cream is absolutely lovely.

i was given a Midnight Silver X100D for the weekend with cream 6 seat configuration and it was absolutely divine...

Last edited:

I can share some pictures of my cream model X later. Really goes well with a darker exterior, like the Midnight Silver for instance. Doesn't look gray at all

So the MCU bezel which includes the 2 buttons was $361 to replace last I got a quote from the SvC.

There’s one silver trim piece above that (this is for the S) and it is very tempting to replace them both with the grey pieces.

It’s a shame there isn’t an exterior chrome to graphite option that would include the door handles.

Someday...

Anyone with the cream and new oak prefer the old darker wood? I am not sure that I like the new oak and wondering if I should see if I can upgrade to the carbon. BTW, June delivery
Did you get to change the cream interior (either to a different color or add carbon fiber) without the $500 change fee?
I don't like the oak wood color change with the cream interior and my OA says that there's no way they can waive the $500 change fee .not what I was expecting from Tesla . I wouldn't have asked for this change in the first place if Tesla hadn't changed the ash wood to oak wood.

If someone got to change it at no cost, please share your experience. I would like to use it to argue my case .my vehicle will probably enter production in the next week or so.
Thanks!

Hold on here!!! They took away the accent material off the inside door panel? Before this change the wood, carbon fiber etc wrapped around from the front dash to the sides of the door. That's not cool if this is the case, first they take the velvet like material off the dash and now the accent trim off the door panels? What is going on with the Model X, are they making the door panels Like the Model S to save money and time?

Lets hope the pictures they are sending out are generic showing the Model S. The notice I received with the attached picture has no trim accent on the door of my newly ordered model X.

Here is my notice pasted below, look how the door panel accent is gone.

We wanted to let you know that your Model X order has been upgraded: the silver interior trim throughout your cabin has been updated with our new graphite finish.
960x480-LHD-Model_X_White_Dark_Ash.jpg

Since your Model X was configured before we introduced this interior update, your order has already been upgraded and there is no action required on your end.

If you have any questions about your order, contact us at (888) 518‑3752.
It's just a generic, you can go to the configurator and see the MX interior and it still has the accents.
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 6.34.18 PM.png

"Ventilated seats" ... as much I see they are re-introduced with the new P-model interior.

Very good observation!

I order my Apple MacBooks in Silver and my trim reminds me a lot of that on my S and X, now this is just my opinion but this looks like a space grey and I’m not a fan. My Tesla’s are like a fine wine getting better with age!

Alcantara dash, Ventilated seats, and now silver trim I’m doing better with every refresh!

I agree the black interior is way too black! But a light headliner is IMO a disaster if you have kids around the car, bad weather or even if the SC guys get their grubby hands on them. It's one thing using a wet wipe to clean a light faux leather seat, but headliners are not so easy to keep clean and they can quickly look grubby. I saw an X at a show last weekend with light headlining and it was indeed quite grubby. I'm so glad ours has dark headlining, it's far more practical. We went for the white seats to give some contrast and I think that works very well.

I agree the black interior is way too black! But a light headliner is IMO a disaster if you have kids around the car, bad weather or even if the SC guys get their grubby hands on them. It's one thing using a wet wipe to clean a light faux leather seat, but headliners are not so easy to keep clean and they can quickly look grubby. I saw an X at a show last weekend with light headlining and it was indeed quite grubby. I'm so glad ours has dark headlining, it's far more practical. We went for the white seats to give some contrast and I think that works very well.

Nice. I'm glad you're enjoying the white seats. I haven't had any problems keeping the headliner clean, as it's never really touched. Granted I don't have kids, but do have a crazy yellow lab and many obnoxious friends haha.

Why would they bother with this IF a totally re-designed interior was coming along in that sort of timescale? More like an update to keep the interior looking "current" for another year or two.

the cynic in me says that Tesla is using up some scrap parts. Bunch of reject bright Al trim with scuffs - paint it to hide the marks and sell it as an exciting new option.

well I did say that was the cynical view :runs

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA