Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sentry Mode in Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when I first talked with a Tesla sales associate I asked, 'So, with all the safety cameras on my S will it record a thief or destructive behavior?' Sadly the answer was no, it cannot. Yay for improvements!

Although no sentry update for me yet. 20190511_202407.jpg 20190511_202407.jpg

Nothing has happened ever, besides a dragstrip paint chip, but it will be nice when your phone can display any camera at all at anytime. Of course, all user defined.

Gotta run... mountains to climb an dragons to slay, if the clouds don't cry it's another brilliant dragstrip day!

I wonder if something similar to the glass screen protectors would take the grunt of the glass breaker and protect the glass from being shattered? I wish I had the means to make this product. Could be a profitable business. (If you steal my idea, please send me a set).

I doubt I’m the first. But it popped in my head.

Reactions: dwolvin
My wife parked our Model 3 in a semi-busy area while she went shopping at Target at 6:30 pm last night. While shopping Sentry Mode caught some punks drive up (in a Mercedes nonetheless), break the rear quarter window, fold down the seat, realize there was nothing valuable, drove ahead to the car in front of our Tesla, peek inside their windows and then drive away. Sentry mode caught it on video. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8sCA-moDo

Some more info:
  • A police report was filed. The officer said it was the first time he had seen video from Sentry Mode.
  • The license plate on the Mercedes is from a 2014 Camaro. Not too surpising
  • My wife walked up to the car 1 minute after this happened. A bit scary but everyone is safe.
  • We did not have the seats folded down. But, my wife had put our laptops in the frunk. Thanks goodness for the frunk.
  • The Sentry Mode alarm did not trigger. I don't think the glass break was loud enough or caused enough vibration so I did not get a notification.
  • I was not expecting video because my wife said she forgot to turn on Sentry Mode but I recently got the Stats app and I believe it turned on Sentry Mode. Big kudos to the app. I recommend it.
Pieces of human debris. Glad your wife is ok and I hope they catch these scum

Reactions: MrABRanch
My guess is that these guys are leasing the Mercedes, but can't afford its payments so they're going around robbing cars in parking lots with plates from other cars. Did the police have any insights?

That Mercedes isn't leased. It's a W211 model and it's at least ten years old.

We Californians really need to get our collective heads out of our a$$es and elect politicians who are tough on crime. The baddies will keep on doing this so long as the risk (and penalty) for getting caught is low.

Once a higher percentage of Model 3 owners have bought the base model like I did, and with the Fed and Colorado subsidies paid only $27,250, they'll learn Model 3's aren't so special. Heck, most of the SUV's filling the streets and places I see cost a LOT more than my Model 3. They probably have a lot better stuff in them as well.

Reactions: MrABRanch
I wonder if something similar to the glass screen protectors would take the grunt of the glass breaker and protect the glass from being shattered? I wish I had the means to make this product. Could be a profitable business. (If you steal my idea, please send me a set).

I doubt I’m the first. But it popped in my head.
I remember seeing somewhere, maybe even on this forum, somebody was making the rear triangle piece out of metal. I don't think I would put it on my car but interesting concept, especially in a high Tesla window bashing area like San Francisco.

Reactions: dwolvin
My wife parked our Model 3 in a semi-busy area while she went shopping at Target at 6:30 pm last night. While shopping Sentry Mode caught some punks drive up (in a Mercedes nonetheless), break the rear quarter window, fold down the seat, realize there was nothing valuable, drove ahead to the car in front of our Tesla, peek inside their windows and then drive away. Sentry mode caught it on video. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8sCA-moDo

Some more info:
  • A police report was filed. The officer said it was the first time he had seen video from Sentry Mode.
  • The license plate on the Mercedes is from a 2014 Camaro. Not too surpising
  • My wife walked up to the car 1 minute after this happened. A bit scary but everyone is safe.
  • We did not have the seats folded down. But, my wife had put our laptops in the frunk. Thanks goodness for the frunk.
  • The Sentry Mode alarm did not trigger. I don't think the glass break was loud enough or caused enough vibration so I did not get a notification.
  • I was not expecting video because my wife said she forgot to turn on Sentry Mode but I recently got the Stats app and I believe it turned on Sentry Mode. Big kudos to the app. I recommend it.
I thought Sentry mode only started once it detected a threat. So how was it recording before they pulled up? Also I wish there was a way to see the sentry events on the screen when you get in the car.

I thought Sentry mode only started once it detected a threat. So how was it recording before they pulled up? Also I wish there was a way to see the sentry events on the screen when you get in the car.

Once it detects a potential threat (a human walking close to your car), it will save a copy of the video equaling about 9 minutes before the threat was detected as well as 1 minute after the threat is detected.

Reading forums and watching videos, one may get the impression that these break-ins are a new phenomenon with the Model 3, but smash and grabs are nothing new and not just limited to California and Teslas. I think it has more to do with where specific gangs operate and what their tried-and-true M.O. is.

See here and the next half dozen or so posts:
Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

While this particular incident appears to be a non-junkie black individual in a very expensive mercedes AMG (most likely stolen), the very large percentage of the Bay Area break-ins (and thus high percentage of all break-ins) are homeless junkies looking for something to sell, and are not rolling up in 6 figure cars

• Disagree
Reactions: OutofPocket
While this particular incident appears to be a non-junkie black individual in a very expensive mercedes AMG (most likely stolen), the very large percentage of the Bay Area break-ins (and thus high percentage of all break-ins) are homeless junkies looking for something to sell, and are not rolling up in 6 figure cars

That Mercedes is not a six figure car... not anymore, anyway. It's a 10+ year old W211. It's $20K on a good day. Still, the baddies aren't dumb for selecting something with 500hp. Good getaway vehicle.

Very helpfu, thank you for sharing. I have a 2016.5 model S which is not equipt with Sentry mode. I look forward to the day that Tesla offers upgrades to older vechicle as I would pay for this!
I have a December 2016 Model S, 90D, and was told that if I bought the Full Self Driving option, I would get the dash cam feature and presumably the sentry feature along with it.