Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla fellows, my car is approaching 40k miles (2 years old) and I've been taking my car to Tesla to fix problems (all small issues except one time for a drive unit replacement due to a whining noise). I've been rotating my tires, but never took the car in for service. Is taking the car in for service really necessary? Since the next big maintenance for the car is at 48k miles, should I wait until I'm closer to 48k miles before taking it into service? It would be probably another 4 months until I hit 48k miles. Thanks for any advice!

Yeah, you still have brake fluid and air filters that could use changing regularly, like any normal car. I think the first service they usually want to check/replace the transmission fluid as well. Pretty much like any normal ICE, so if you ignored those things with previous cars your experience should be similar with the Tesla.

...another 4 months until I hit 48k miles...

I am not sure where the number 48K comes from. It should be either 37.5K or 50K

Year--Miles
1 12,500
2 25,000
3 37,500
4 50,000
5 62,500
6 75,000
7 87,500
8 100,000

I would have Tesla inspect mine at least once a year.

In your case, you might as well wait and bring it in for inspection at 50,000 miles because you are not an annual-kind believer.

My brakes were starting to get "mushy" prior to my 50k service. The brake fluid flush fixed the issue, so it needed to be done (I bought the car as a CPO so I have no idea if the prior owner did the25k brake flush).

So, yes, I recommend you do the 50k service. You could do your own brake service if you are a car person, but the battery coolant flush might a bit tough to DIY.